NF4 LanParty (original) BETA BIOS 3/30/2006 (direct download)

After a good ten hours testing this bios, if you are not having any problems that are listed within the change log, don't bother. Works the same as the 6-23 as far as clocks go. It's decent with my BH-5, doesn't like my TCCD at all. Performs exactly the same with UCCC. I have flashed back to the 704 2BTA which seems to be the most flexible bios for me.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I just tried flashing this BIOS. After it was completed, I pressed F1 to reboot, and I get no display. Tried restarting couple of times, the board posts but I get no display.

I tried to clear the CMOS manually (not sure on the exact procedure), I just set the jumper on the clear CMOS position following the board manual then put it back... however still no luck. What am I doing wrong? What should I try next? Take out the battery?

the exact procedure as I do it is:

disconnect power cable

wait till all the LED's are off

set the J2 bios jumper to 2-3 pins

wait a few seconds

set the J2 bios jumper back to 1-2 pins

also the bios jumper is somwhere abow the battery (upper left corner) and it's red in color (in my board)

After a good ten hours testing this bios, if you are not having any problems that are listed within the change log, don't bother. Works the same as the 6-23 as far as clocks go. It's decent with my BH-5, doesn't like my TCCD at all. Performs exactly the same with UCCC. I have flashed back to the 704 2BTA which seems to be the most flexible bios for me.

Thanks CPDMF: Sticks with tccd ic's are the only kind, I have right now. So I'll probably wait abit see how others do also. Then I may go back to the 7/04 myself.

I think this new BIOS works really well, the only thing i would like to see for the next release is to implement the DDR466 and DDR500 multipliers to be able to run DDR500 @ 200Mhz FSB

I agree with CPDMF,

Im running my setup with the 704-1 BTA bios due to having TCCD sticks. I have not yet tested this bios but I believe it would be a waste of time being as im stable and I have none of the bugs reported in the fix list, other than my X1800 and logo error which I do not have enabled anyway.

Nice to see a keyIn FSB option though, holding down the down arrow 100 times to get to 300FSB is abit tedious hehe.

Edit: However, thats just my opinion and im sure people buying such motherboards as DFI, for their memory options etc are looking for the most out of their systems and testing new bios' sure does prove a good way of getting better performance sometimes. So test away obviously :)

Well I flashed to this BIOS. It required a quick CMOS clear before it would POST after having 704-2BTA on it.

Currently priming at my previous overclock (about 1 hour so far) with the same settings except for RAM obviously which needs tweaking later. So overclocking wise, it seems no different from the excellent 704-2BTA BIOS.

My RAID0+1 was completely unaffected by the new RAID BIOS and all is well on that front. In fact, I'm not kidding but the new BIOS has increased the performance of the array ever so slightly. I got the highest I've ever had, even on an undefragged array. OK, it was only 1.5MB/s faster but hey, it's an improvement.

One big annoyance however is that upon bootup (cold or restart) it takes a good few seconds to show the boot screen. This is significantly longer than any other BIOS I have had. At first, I thought I had killed the board, but it just took an age to show any sign of life and it does this on each bootup. Other than that, it seems fine. Nice to see some of those fixes are now covered for me, like the PS/2 (I upgraded to USB mouse and KB because of those problems a year ago).

I'm not sure if anybody else has witnessed it, but one issue that I have come across since flashing to this BIOS is a random issue with network disconnects. I first noticed it when playing World of Warcraft. The game would randomly stop and within 5 seconds I'd get a "Disconnected from server". I know some folks get it all the time but in the year that I've been playing the game, I have only gotten it when the servers are having issues. After some investigation, I found that this disconnect only seems to happen if I am doing more than one thing on the Internet at a time (i.e. Playing a game and streaming music, etc.). One time I had alt-tab'd out of the game to do some quick forum administration. It timed out for a brief second pulling the page up, went back into WoW and sure enough, I'd been disconnected.

I've got 2 other machines connecting to the same switch (DLink DGL4100) and they can play the game all day long without issues. I flashed back to 704-2BTA this morning and haven't had a single issue now.

*Updated* The port in question is the nVidia controller (chipset), I typically disable the Marvell. I should note that I don't get an error from WinXP noting that no network connection is available, but the symptoms are identical (temporary loss of network access). I'm thinking of flashing to the new BIOS again and re-enabling the Marvel chip and see if I get the same thing. Will update accordingly.

quick question

why wont dfi make a bios with lower cpu multi like 3 x 2x 1x

and lower FSB lower then 200

these boards are designed for overclocking

period

they were designed for overclocking from the initial idea

as for multipliers, AMD cpu's wont go lower than 4x as far as I know

and honestly...why would you need anything lower than 4x that the board provides?

can you do 1000Mhz (memory) x 2?

nope, not gonna happen

Well I flashed to this BIOS. It required a quick CMOS clear before it would POST after having 704-2BTA on it.

Currently priming at my previous overclock (about 1 hour so far) with the same settings except for RAM obviously which needs tweaking later. So overclocking wise, it seems no different from the excellent 704-2BTA BIOS.

My RAID0+1 was completely unaffected by the new RAID BIOS and all is well on that front. In fact, I'm not kidding but the new BIOS has increased the performance of the array ever so slightly. I got the highest I've ever had, even on an undefragged array. OK, it was only 1.5MB/s faster but hey, it's an improvement.

One big annoyance however is that upon bootup (cold or restart) it takes a good few seconds to show the boot screen. This is significantly longer than any other BIOS I have had. At first, I thought I had killed the board, but it just took an age to show any sign of life and it does this on each bootup. Other than that, it seems fine. Nice to see some of those fixes are now covered for me, like the PS/2 (I upgraded to USB mouse and KB because of those problems a year ago).

Following on from my post above.

Strange behaviour with this BIOS and my X2. Before I used the 11x multi x 255 to get my 2.805ghz stable 16h prime. Anyway, I tried a similar thing with this BIOS - now not all BIOS's clock the same, I know that but weird results.

It failed prime after 6.5 hours with 11x255 on a 9:10 divider. Memtest didn't detect the RAM frequency properly and only Everest could do so - even CPU-z was wrong. It should 215mhz on a 9:10 from 255mhz - clearly wrong, should have been about 229mhz. Anyway, I thought I would use a conventional divider in 166mhz (5:6) and this was detected as 200mhz. Everything said it was 200mhz, even Everest. This is wrong as it should have been 213mhz. Now I know dividers do not show exactly the right frequency but this is 13mhz out. I primed again (same 1.49v as the 704-2BTA) and it crashed sometime after 10 hours (complete lockup).

Now I'm running the 10x multi (10x280) and it's priming away however things to note:

-no longer do I suffer from the very slow boot (even at stock on the 11x multi, it would take ages to show the boot screen [logo disabled]. Having dropped onto the 10x, it boots without any delay. Odd, and no longer does it search for my optical drives before even showing the boot screen, which it did before. Also, all RAM frequencies are now detected as they should be on any divider.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone out - it's not scientific, it's not conclusive but it is my finding. :)