Anyone playing Elderscrolls IV yet?

baaj

Why do people want this game to be online? The beauty of this game is that it is a huge world for one player to experience. There are plenty of other great games out there for the massive multiplayer. Coop mode would be pretty cool though.

This game is not quite everything I was hoping for, but is still excellent. Other than the breaktaking scenery, the level of interactivity really seems more like a Morrowind 2 than a completely new build. Not that that's entirely bad - Morrowind was a groundbreakng game and has great levels of interactivity with the environment, but I was hoping for a bigger transition.

Combat is more engaging, the graphics speak for themselves, all dialogue is voiced, even the menu interface is useful while having its own feel, once you get accustomed to it.

This game lives up to most of the hype, but there are a few minor issues that disappointed me:

1. The character movement is still pretty rigid, like Morrowind. A jump doesn't look anything close to natural. When you run up against a solid object, instead of banging into it your character keeps running in place, an effect so circa 1995.

2. The police still have the same great information infrastructure - somehow they know to confiscate that stick of celery you stole from a farm on the other side of the continent.

3. The draw distance can be irritating when outdoors. It takes you out of the experience. Seems like there could be better solutions...or maybe I just need a faster graphics card.

4. Radiant AI is a great concept to build on, though I haven't seen any excellent examples of it in action.

This is all coming from an avid Elderscrolls fan, so if you dont have the game yet, just work on the assumption that if I didn't complain about some aspect above, then it's excellent! It is just irritating when something falls just short of perfect.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game lives up to most of the hype, but there are a few minor issues that disappointed me:

1. The character movement is still pretty rigid, like Morrowind. A jump doesn't look anything close to natural. When you run up against a solid object, instead of banging into it your character keeps running in place, an effect so circa 1995.

2. The police still have the same great information infrastructure - somehow they know to confiscate that stick of celery you stole from a farm on the other side of the continent.

3. The draw distance can be irritating when outdoors. It takes you out of the experience. Seems like there could be better solutions...or maybe I just need a faster graphics card.

4. Radiant AI is a great concept to build on, though I haven't seen any excellent examples of it in action.

1. I agree completely, though maybe they really feel that it should be played in first person mode, or they want to keep a similar feel to Morrowind.

2. Ditto

3. Irritating? Amazing really, but yeah you definitely need a good system for it, I can't imagine those poor gamers on Pavilions trying to play this game....

4. I think it gives a more realistic feel, some conversation as you pass by, they won't be the same place all the time, stuff like that. A little irritating depending on what time it is though, might have to wait around for them to become available.

I'll add a big #5...I got tired of closing Oblivion gates, they just got more confusing and the scenery was depressing, though I spose thats kinda what they were aiming for. Because of that I delved into the main quest and just completed it, just so I won't see any more of the damn things. Now on to the fun stuff. :)

after about 6 hours today/tonight that I've been able to get in (I still haven't even made it to the damn place to give the amulet to some dude...I got busted by the cops)

1. I agree...I didn't care for Morrowind for this reason, but at the same time, I agree with the danvanman and I only play in 1st person unless I am on a horse (see #2 lol)

2. effing cops...I got busted for stealing a horse...but the worst part was I thought I ditched the copper by going into the cave to kill the necromancer chick...but the instant the cheeser necromancer apprentices or whatever started attacking, the %#@$@# cop was attacking me from the rear...he came into the cave and through three doors to get me...!

3. no draw distance problems for me...I'm still constantly amazed at how awesome this game looks...I can't imagine having a couple of 7900GTX or X1900XT's together on a killer widescreen

only thing that bugs me is you can't have AA enabled with HDR lighting...which is stupid because I have both enabled for Day of Defeat Source and it is ultra-fantastic

4. I've seen it a bit...how dudes follow you around thinking you are gonna steal from them when you are in their house/building (sorta like the stereotype of Korean store owners following everyone to make sure they don't steal lol).

and the necromancers reacted perfectly to me...I opened a door, showed myself to them by busting an arrow into one of them, and then backed through the door and hid behind it thinking I was gonna brain one of them when they came through the door...instead they sent a conjured skeleton through the door and I brained it but the necro dudes were right on top of me...I even backed off and closed the door (cuz in every other game the AI is too stupid to open doors) but they opened the door and sent in two more conjured skeletons and kept blasting me with magical attacks.

also, when I stole the horse, the damn horse owner chased me for miles down the road (you'd think a horse would be a hell of a lot faster lol)...when I stopped at a power shrine to recharge, this idiot started attacking me...so brained him a couple times with a mace and he all the sudden ran away with his hands above his head hehe...and when he saw me again down the road, he ran off and hid in the trees ;)

its the little things...enemies know that if I can shoot them across the balcony, they decide to bust butt down the stairs and up the stairs to my balcony with a melee weapon since I'm a better bow/arrow dude than they are....stuff like that

I'm totally into the game...but I'm not even 2% into it yet I don't think...I've spent probably 2 hours of total time just reading all the books on the shelves etc.

now its 1AM and I'm gonna play for another hour or so then I'm off to sleepz

rats I made it into my first Oblivion gate at Kvatch only to be decimated grrrr

I guess I need to roll around the countryside a bit and level up to...what? (help me danthevanman!!!) lol

What difficulty are you on? I put mine about halfway between normal and easy. (yeah, I'm a wuss)

Anyways, I conquered the Arena first, was probably around level 3 or so before I went to Kvatch. I was actually just passing by when I saw it and decided I should check it out. It was pretty easy at that level/difficulty, doubt my life went below even 3/4.

T-minus 3 hours till I get to drop in my 7900GTX and install Oblivion.!!!!!!!

Girlfriend wants to hang out at school and study, and I have to hide the fact that I spent another 150 more then I paid for my 7800GTX on a new card that is wrapped in my jacket..........hehehe I AM SOooooooooo bad........But I can't wait to play.

What difficulty are you on? I put mine about halfway between normal and easy. (yeah, I'm a wuss)

Anyways, I conquered the Arena first, was probably around level 3 or so before I went to Kvatch. I was actually just passing by when I saw it and decided I should check it out. It was pretty easy at that level/difficulty, doubt my life went below even 3/4.

hrmmm...I didn't even notice there was a difficulty slider so I have just left mine at default lol

I busted the necromancer chick and fixed the invisible people in the village, and got arrested and sent to the Nord jail up north...and I guess I screwed up by murdering the guy in my jail cell...who turns out to be a guy that is part of a decent quest, so I can't finish that quest...

I guess I'll just wander around and gain another level (freakin takes forever lol)...except unlike most RPG's that you cannot enter higher-level areas until you unlock them, Oblivion is so open that you can accidentally wander into super high level areas and get decimated quickly...

I guess I'll just wander around and gain another level (freakin takes forever lol)...except unlike most RPG's that you cannot enter higher-level areas until you unlock them, Oblivion is so open that you can accidentally wander into super high level areas and get decimated quickly...

Supposedly they have some kinda scaling factor so many quests should be accomplishable even at low levels, enemies just get tougher as you get tougher. Thats said, part of the main quest can't be done unless you're a certain level.

I didn't see anything about a necromancer chick or invisible guy...I have a feeling I'll never see everything though. Hell, even after beating the main quest I haven't been to two of the main cities yet...

the Necromancer quest is right after you come out of the sewers when you escape from prison at the beginning of the game

there's ruins right across the docks/sewer door, and then the water...so I just swam across the water (thinking I needed to get as far away from Imperial City as possible) and there were some ruins and bandits infested it....so I killed them all of course, and investigated the ruins thoroughly.

Once out of the ruins, I noticed there was an Inn right to the north (can't remember the name tho), so I went there to sleep and yap with people, and the innkeeper lady told me how there's this Necro biatch that was making life miserable for the area around her inn, so there's a cave right to the North of that...the stuff I described in an earlier post about the cops and the good AI etc.

I didn't have enough lockpicks to open the two main treasure chests after busting her butt (I remember you saying something about needing lockpicks to finish an assassination quest...i thought this was the same quest?).

the Necromancer quest is right after you come out of the sewers when you escape from prison at the beginning of the game

I didn't have enough lockpicks to open the two main treasure chests after busting her butt (I remember you saying something about needing lockpicks to finish an assassination quest...i thought this was the same quest?).

Ah, I headed straight for town...stupid now that I tihnk about it, but I wanted to sell all the crap I could. The Arena was really close to that area so thats probably why I ended up there so soon.

The Dark Brotherhood quests are a serious classy lady....they need lockpicks for one thing. And I can't for the life of me figure out how to not kill about 8-9 guards to break back into the prison and kill the guy that was across the hall. Seriously, thats one of the quests. But I lose my bonus if I kill the guards.

*sigh*

Guess I'll have to think about this...if I get some of my magic skill up high enough, I could just get arrested (after dropping all my equipment) break out of my cell, sneak over to his during the shift change, off him, then get back....

*sigh*

This'd be a thousand times easier if arrows would go through the cell doors.

BTW I just realized I may have a large advantage in the Oblivion realm, I'm a Dark Elf which naturally is 75% resistant to fire....which is the cause of much damamge in oblicion. And I'm an assassin, not 'cuz I wanted to be that class but I liked the stat bonuses better.