Anyone playing Elderscrolls IV yet?

baaj

drop stuff also you can just left-click on the item and hold the left mouse button until it drops ;)

*sigh* i wish this game is MMO, i'll pay the monthly without complaints......... kinda dissapointing to get levels and kill big bad monsters but u cant really show it to anyone "real". well, at least with this i can set the difficulty to easy

we are real...you can show it to us as I guarantee we are interested!

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well well...now I'm starting to see serious problems with the game

I'm in Skingrad and about every 5 minutes or less, the screen just goes black

my HUD is still visible, and I can finish conversations etc, but the 'scene' is black and there's nothing I can do except exit entirely out of the game, and then restart. I can't even just reload from a previous save...it will load with the black screen.

This is very annoying and I'm not finding much help on Bethesda's official forums.

Their forums, btw, are awful and slow, and you get db errors 9 out of 10 times when you click any link =(

Their forum is really packed this week isn't it? I hear a lot of people are having some issues with the 360 variant as well.

That black screen has only happened to me once, but it still locks up every now and then, as far as I can tell it might be a problem during the autosave period, but I'm not sure. I'm hooking up a dvdrom to another computer with x32 on it so we'll see if it like that better...

I'm in Skingrad and about every 5 minutes or less, the screen just goes black

That's happened to me two or three times. Exiting to desktop and reloading solved it for me.

I'm now a vampire! :cool:

Exiting to desktop and reloading solved it for me

this solves it for me

for about 5 minutes

because once i am back in the game

5 minutes later it does it again

I'm trying to finish this tinfoil hat paranoid dude's quest of following people he thinks are plotting against him...but every 5 minutes of having to shut down to the desktop and restart the game...just ain't cutting it for me

it's the first and only real problem I've had in the game...

this solves it for me

for about 5 minutes

because once i am back in the game

5 minutes later it does it again

have you tried to reload from an earlier save when everything was working? Or save when it is working and try running from that save? THere may be some corruption happening somewhere...

[edit] fyi - this black screen issue happened in a different area for me, so I'm certain it is not a location specific bug.

BTW once you get everything working again, I'm interested to hear how that quest ends up for you. When I did it, it didn't end up so well, but I made some good cash.

Guest shaolin95

Guys...where is the aniso filtering settings for this? Do I need to use the ini or the nvidia control panel?

have you tried to reload from an earlier save when everything was working? Or save when it is working and try running from that save? THere may be some corruption happening somewhere...

[edit] fyi - this black screen issue happened in a different area for me, so I'm certain it is not a location specific bug.

BTW once you get everything working again, I'm interested to hear how that quest ends up for you. When I did it, it didn't end up so well, but I made some good cash.

the solution is...disable HDR and use Bloom lighting until Bethesda/Nvidia corrects the issue

I disabled HDR and played for a few more hours until about 10 minutes ago with zero issues...and honestly, with 4xAA enabled and bloom lighting, it kinda looks better than with HDR and no AA...

the solution is...disable HDR and use Bloom lighting until Bethesda/Nvidia corrects the issue

I disabled HDR and played for a few more hours until about 10 minutes ago with zero issues...and honestly, with 4xAA enabled and bloom lighting, it kinda looks better than with HDR and no AA...

It really does look better, doing that. Plus you might be able to gain some draw distance depending on what you were limited to before.

Guys...where is the aniso filtering settings for this? Do I need to use the ini or the nvidia control panel?

yep

in the NV control panel for your gpu, with coolbits installed, go to Additional Direct3D Settings and set "Max Frames To Render Ahead" to 0 (it should be default on 3)

this will improve your framerates a good deal

also, if you have dual-core cpu (and some single core cpu users claim it works for them too), go into your Oblivion.ini (the one in your My DocumentsMy GamesOblivion folder, NOT the one in Program Files), and find this:

[OPENMP]

and change the two items below to what I have changed:

iThreads=20

iOpenMPLevel=20

then use the 'find' function to find this:

iPreloadSizeLimit=

and set it to:

iPreloadSizeLimit=1000000000

or even

iPreloadSizeLimit=2000000000

but

more importantly, check out this thread:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=277963

and all the good info in it, and then you can tweak until your heart is content

I'm averaging 70fps indoors and some outdoor areas near walls/buildings, and about 35fps in full outdoors with 4xAA/8xAF (set in NV Control Panel) with some of these tweaks but without HDR enabled (as mentioned earlier)

Guest shaolin95

Awesome Angry!

Thanks for all the info. Ive been tweaking a little already specially to make objects appear at longer distances cause the max in game settings make the world look a little plain for my taste.

@travis you da man, I was so lazy to wander around for the tweaking options - i will try them tonight but probably I will keep hdr on, especially after I see what you can do in cinema4d or 3dsmax with hdr.

on a side note, I am not sure whether the game is heavily cpu dependent (as well as vid card naturally) or because I didnt change any antialising settings on the nvidia panel but with my 2.9ghz 7800gt (stock setting 470/1100) I am getting 37 fps (sometimes drops to 28) inside and 73-75 outside while running my horse (sometimes drops to 45s though). Generally I use 3rd person view while on top of my horse, and 1st person while kicking some butt.

Anyways, this game is addictive - played 3.5 hrs straight without noticing the time. Needed to load that arena fight 7 times to kill that bastard (poor me - just a second level barbarian with 2 handed heavy blunt weapons).

Now here comes the stupid question: In the above mentioned elder scrolls forums, they say that vsync should be off - can we do that by clicking the box (selecting it) or de-selecting it - right now it is selected and game looks great except creating & rendering grass.

EDIT: how many times did you go to jail - i regret stealing a horse and other stuff. They want a clean record to be accepted into fighters guild, so I decided go to jail with my own will. Irony is due to my stealing history, gray fox offered a membership in the thieves guild - any info on that armors/equipment is cheaper there - are there any risks on bounty on my head if I shop there? Also, why didnt we select any good, bad, evil, neutral characters in this game and gain xp according to our behaviors?