Anyone playing Elderscrolls IV yet?

baaj

heh

the best sword I have is a silver longsword that I stole from some castle barracks ;)

haven't seen much in the way of better weapons yet, and I am up to level 6 now =/

I have finally hit Journeman in my blade skill at least...I need to learn how to fight better though lol.

Oh, on my way from Kvatch to some other place (to join the Fighter's Guild) I found these ruins called "Miscarcand" and I went exploring them...the end boss dude and his zombie guards are freakin hard, and doors don't stop them lol (I had to pick a level5 HARD lock to get through some door to escape and I did somehow only breaking 3 lockpicks, but I still died twice before whipping them...) and I got a Hoarstaff which is pretty awesome but useless for a fighter like me...

I'm building the NF4X-Infinity (socket 754 + PCI-Express) right now for my brother while he's gone for a week to Vegas...he's getting a 6800GT that I just modded with the Thermalright V1-Ultra gpu cooler, and I'm gonna cut the IHS off his 3400+ Newcastle and then put it back under water and then I'll install Oblivion on it as well as CoD2 and BF2 and HL2 etc to test it (got to test it all week while he's gone).

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Angry: caps is working - thanks

@techno: my speed is 55 but it is still so slow - irony is speed is the best attribute right now for my character (i chose steed as my star sign - bonus +20 to speed!)

how can I measure my fps, should I use fraps or is there a script readily available on the console (~)

Oh, on my way from Kvatch to some other place (to join the Fighter's Guild) I found these ruins called "Miscarcand" and I went exploring them...the end boss dude and his zombie guards are freakin hard, and doors don't stop them lol (I had to pick a level5 HARD lock to get through some door to escape and I did somehow only breaking 3 lockpicks, but I still died twice before whipping them...) and I got a Hoarstaff which is pretty awesome but useless for a fighter like me...

Hmm, I just hit Journeyman in blade myself. So far the best blade I have was found off a gravedigger, sucks your endurance and willpower I believe, decent damage too. I was at Miscarcand for a quest...don't remember what for though.

Wow, have people actually been having trouble getting this game? I was actually in WalMart looking for KOTOR II, and saw this on the shelf and decided to get it. The idiots there tried to sell me an Xbox360 to play it on that saying the graphics would be better...

Well, I was almost pissed off when I got it home and opened it to find only one disc (I didn't realized that it was a DVD not a CD).

I suppose I should try the new drivers because my 7800GTX OC is having some troubles with it. Occasionally there are some squares in the lower right hand quadrant that flicker in odd colors, and the FPS are a bit lower than I'd like. I didn't think I'd need to go SLI this soon, but I have fallen in love with this game, and if the driver update doesn't fix my issues I'll try SLI with another 7800GTX.

Being new to Elder Scrolls, I didn't really know what to expect, but I really like the game. There just seems to be so much to do in it, and the world is humungous.

nah you don't need SLI for this game...I'm using a 256MB 7800GTX but I did get the new beta drivers for it, and it plays just fine (my mem was clocked a little too high for the game and I was getting some flickering/tearing but I just lowered my mem clock by 25Mhz and blammo it cleared up)

the game is GIGANTIMOUSAXTIC!

if you like this, try Morrowind (the game before it) as it is huge also

ps: the Xbox360 graphics are great, but no console can match a PC if you have the right hardware...but it would take 7800GTX SLI etc in 1080i (which is...1980x1080?) to match the 360's gfx ;)

nah you don't need SLI for this game...I'm using a 256MB 7800GTX but I did get the new beta drivers for it, and it plays just fine (my mem was clocked a little too high for the game and I was getting some flickering/tearing but I just lowered my mem clock by 25Mhz and blammo it cleared up)

ps: the Xbox360 graphics are great, but no console can match a PC if you have the right hardware...but it would take 7800GTX SLI etc in 1080i (which is...1980x1080?) to match the 360's gfx ;)

Good stuff to hear. Downloading drivers now, and will install when I get home from work in a few weeks.

Seeing as my next planned upgrade is a nice monitor instead of my big, ugly, heavy 19" CRT, I think I'll be pretty happy on the PC.

Guest shaolin95

Do you mean that my rig is not able to match a 360?! :O

1080i is like 540P.... sort off.

Just started the game today again...need to get out of the dungeon to understand what you are all talking about :)

1080i is like 540P.... sort off.

er

no it isn't lol

my Xbox will do 480p (progressive)

and it will do 720p and 1080i, but my tv will only do 480i, 480p, and 1080i

there's a huge difference between 480p and 1080i in terms of quality, and 540p would only be slightly better than 480p

keep in mind what the Xbox360 is capable of, and keep in mind that brand new consoles are always more powerful than PC's for about 3-6 months until the console's gpu tech comes home to us pc users.

the 360's gpu is basically an X1900XT with 48 pixel pipelines and 10MB of embedded DRAM etc with a direct bus into the cpu/memory that is superior to anything the PC can do...and then keep in mind that 360's are built solely for gaming and nothing else really, and therefor their OS contains ONLY the parts needed to run video, sound, etc...while your pc might be built for YOU only for gaming, your OS STILL has all the leftover crap for printers, scanners, modems, etc etc even if you are not needing them (ie MS OS's are bloated pieces of crap).

its like a racecar vs your nice Porsche

a racecar is ONLY built for racing so it has the giant slick tires that are super wide, it has no seats other than the driver's seat, it has balanced weight and no doors etc, it is streamlined in the body only for racing, etc etc

your Porsche on the other hand, might be fast, but it is built to ride on the street and do things like take you and a wife or kid(s) to the store to get groceries, ride comfortable on many different surfaces (not just racing asphalt), things like that.

Your Porsche might be a hell of a fast car, but it won't be able to stand up to a real racecar.

now, consoles vs pc's are slightly different in the sense that console tech, since it is made by Nvidia/ATI in teh video area, and the memory/cpu stuff is pretty much modern/common, they end up trickling down to us PC users after a few months...which is a good thing.

Remember when the Xbox first came out? It was capable of graphics better than any PC at the time with it's awesome Nvidia gpu...even though it was only a 700Mhz P3, it was built ONLY for gaming so the Windows2k kernel-based OS that ran it was only about 700k...very very small footprint and most of that 64MB system memory was purely for gaming.

your rig back then might have had 128MB of RAM, but I can guarantee that 50% or more of it was dedicated just for Windows and all the processes/threads that Windows needs to function.

Flash forward to today, and you have a 360 that has 512MB system RAM, 10MB embedded DRAM in the gpu, and a 48-pixel gpu with all the modern/advanced shaders etc, along with a 3.2Ghz cpu with 6 logical cores.

the OS for the 360 probably eats up maybe 5MB at most, because all consoles are the same, and so MS can strip out any crap that is not needed (since you won't be hooking up printers or installing MS Word on it or reading Acrobat PDF's on it etc, there's no need to make the kernel capable of any of that, and since you won't ever be changing out graphics cards or sound cards, there's no need to make the kernel accept/update for new hardware etc).

My rig on the other hand, has a 7800GTX 24-pipe card, 2GB RAM, and a dual core cpu with a dedicated Audigy2 ZS sound card...but when I load windows, it already is eating about 200MB of memory, and my rig has to be ready for me to plug in a USB joystick of 1000 different types, or USB memory sticks, it has to be able to install all kinds of different software that might require all kinds of different threads/processes to be called, it has to be able to print across the network to my network printer, etc etc.

Right now, the 360 can probably outpower my rig, especially considering the fact that the 360 is built purely for gaming, and while I built my rig mainly for gaming, it still must be able to do things like type to you in this forum lol.

However...a guy with 2 7900GTX 512MB SLI cards can match a 360 because that guy can run even higher res than 1080i (I've seen those setups run as high as 2560x1900 or some crazy . like that).

But

Keep in mind the 360 is built around the fact of HD (1080i) AND it is capable of adding AA/AF to every title (all devs are encouraged to program in HD resolution with AA/AF maxed out).

then there's the fact that the 360 is so new, that programmers still have not tapped even close to all the potential power of the system

but

while the 360 will be a closed system, you and I will be able to go with Nvidia 8800GTXZ 1GB x2 SLI cards, or ATI X2400XTPE 1GB Crossfire with our 3Ghz dual-core cpu and 4GB system RAM and X-FI 3 audio card etc

but back to your original...1080i is much more than 540p...720p is still not quite as good as 1080i though it IS better for fast moving images since progressive scan writes all the data at once while interlaced fires them in alternating sequence...but 1080i is capable of much more detail...it just isn't as good for sports or fast moving images as progressive.

anyway...your rig is great, as is mine, and right now I think our rigs are as good as a 360...but if a dev (and I have yet to actually see Oblivion on the 360) really learned how to tap those 6 cores and the gpu to it's fullest potential...I think you'd see some real crazy stuff that just couldn't be done on a computer (imagine...2 cores of the 360 purely for game engine/rendering, then 2 more cores purely for physics, 1 core purely for AI, and 1 core for god-knows-what lol)

Don't get me wrong, I love my PC, but I also love my consoles (still trying to find a 360 to purchase!). I'm very interested to see what Oblivion looks like on the 360. I already know what it looks like on my nice rig, and there's no way I can match the 360's resolution with AA enabled (and keep in mind that the 360 can enable BOTH AA/AF & HDR lighting...something none of us can do with PC Oblivion since you can only have one or the other...then imagine the HD resolution with both of those features enabled and still able to pull 60-ish fps...!)

:tooth:

Guest shaolin95

Ive seen some comparison screens and the PC looked better...but I dont know what FPS it had though.

About 1080i...technically is almost the same as 540P....think about it....you are actually getting only 2 interlaced fields of 540 lines each when running 1080i. Thats why some people claim 720P is actually higher HD than 1080i since it has a progressive 720 lines of resolution. As far as I know, and Ive been researching it a lot , in a high end pc, oblivion looks better than 360. THen again, I totally understand your points. Specially true when we get console ports and not native PC games.

Regards