Forget Prime95: BF2 64 maps is the new stabillity benchmark

Raphie

Ok, so i am Prime95 dual stable, can run superPI 1M and memtest, but i still get connection errors and crash to desktops with 1 BF2 64 KARKAND map.

And guess what? went back to stock settings and all runs smoothly, strange huh?

Would i still need more vcore (thorugh dual prime torture passed for 12+ hours?)

The less crowded maps and 32 and 16 maps no problems whatsoever, but this 64map brings the OC stabillity to it's knees. or is the 64 CTD another DICE BUG? :D

How long did you ran Prime95? Were you running it in dual mode, as in a Prime95 per core?

BF2 is very demanding, but if Prime95 runs with out errors for something like 5+ hours I doubt BF2 should have a problem since most games last between 20 to 45 minutes.

Also forget about Strike At Karkand, the most demanding map IMO is Daqing OilFields and perhaps Dragon Valley if full with 64 players. BF2 is not a multiprocessor game, but somehow with my Opteron 175 at 2.75 ghz I got better performance than with my old 3700+ at 2.90 ghz, specially on those two maps.

System shut downs Icon57??? I doubt it since the OCZ Powerstream 520W has one rock solid 12v rail... but if system freeze or reboot, it might be whats making the problem.... knock on wood :(

Hehe: AoE3, SW Empire at war, ST Armada2... any of those huge strategy games really stress the system a lot, you are right CamB. However BF2 use a lot of RAM, and when I didn't had the correct Genie/RAM settings at BIOS it gave me a ton of headaches in BF2 above the rest... once the correct settings were found BF2 was flawless, and with it the rest of the games I play including the nasty LOTR strategy game, which now has a second part I must have soon :)

Raphie..

Instead of switching everything back to stock why not try to isolate the problem.. Just like the oc guide.. Leave your prime stable settings loaded but put your ram on a divider to take it out as a variable and then see if that map still crashes..

If it doesnt then you know its most likely a ram problem and then you will need to mess with timings to tweak it out probably..

It might be overheating, a good way to test in the future would be to run P95 (SP2004 is easier) and RHDRIBL in the background since it tests everything in the system. Could also be from nvidia drivers. There are compatability issues with dual core and nvidias 8x.xx drivers in a lot of games. Try setting the afifnity to one core. Was your video card oc'ed at all? With mine too high it will CTD a lot of the time.

Ok, so i am Prime95 dual stable, can run superPI 1M and memtest, but i still get connection errors and crash to desktops with 1 BF2 64 KARKAND map.

And guess what? went back to stock settings and all runs smoothly, strange huh?

Would i still need more vcore (thorugh dual prime torture passed for 12+ hours?)

The less crowded maps and 32 and 16 maps no problems whatsoever, but this 64map brings the OC stabillity to it's knees. or is the 64 CTD another DICE BUG? :D

Raphie, do what Thunda suggested and also have you tried running OCCT?

Ok, just to clarify:

I DUAL primed for 12+ hours

i used Coolbits to OC my 7800 (recommended 525 / 1200 > played 515 > 1200 because of artifacting in BF2) For me Karkand 64 (with the 3 flags on the factory) is the most demanding map when playing because the killrate and density is much righer than any other map. This is also the only map where i get pushed back to desktop. And this happens more while playing commander than wandering around in the field.

Thunda is probably right, it might not even be my porcessor OC but could also be the video OC or mem timings. I've applied the dual core affinity patch and AMD CPU driver as in the sticky on XtremeSystems forums and have no other issues in BF2

I couldnt run BF2 on the same settings that are in the Oc database for me 4000+. I had to use about 40mhz less on the cpu to be able to play BF2. Also 3Dmark03 is much more demanding then all the other 3dmarks in me case, especially 1st cpu test and nature.