The Best Antivirus/Firewall solution?

inquisitor

Im after a decent setup to protect me from the nasties on the internet but at the same time not slow down my system too much, in the past I have used Symantec AV & Firewall, but I have not been happy with this setup as it takes up so much of my system.

I have just paid out for kasperspy antivirus, which I have heard some good things about. But at the moment I have only the Windows SP2 Firewall, will this be good enough as I don't have a Router to use as one.

Im interested in knowing what setups u guys n gals run and how much they affect windows performance in your opinion?

:)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AVG has a very small footprint and its free. I'm playing around now with the eval version of Zone Alarm pro, which is a firewall with an integrated antisypyware scanner, but I'm not exactly sure about the system resources it consumes.

For the money I like (and currently use Panda's AV 2005 Titanium Edition. It scans automatically at boot up, after Windows loads--this may slow your system down for about 2-4 mins) and automatically updates daily, like Norton. The difference here is that it eliminates both Spyware and Viruses. I have not used Norton for about 2 years so I am not sure that it eliminates both Viruses and Spyware now becuase the Norton I used 2 years ago did not. Anyway you can go and check out Panda and even use their free AV scan at the following URL http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm It will also ask you to allow/disallow connections to your system... for example---if you have just gone to Windows update and modified a program it will ask if the program has been modified, because it is trying to access the internet. This is just one of the great tools that it has.

• 4 weeks later...

i use bit defender pro 9 and works great

updates all the time -- many times 2 or 3 times a day - i tired panda before and only the antivirus alone worked but when i went to install and use the full package - nothing worked no more - messed up my whole system - i got rid of that real fast

right now - bit defender pro 9 i use and works great

aw a really great hardly any system resouce usage at all....its and not like simple, block, allow .

its like eg.

ip 123.233.2.23 is trying to connect,

allow

block

perm block ip

then you can set if u want the ip to be allowed , incomming, or out cutgoing connections, and set heaps of ., its awsome and small......... AtGaurd search google for it... nice and free

This are my recommended free security guardians: :cool:

AntiVir® PersonalEdition Classic

for Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP

Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris

PersonalEdition Classic

For technical assistance and answers to frequently asked question please visit our support forum

Furthermore you should not miss to download the new user manual for the AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic, Version 7 as PDF.

Download of the new AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic

You could download now the new AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic for Windows 98/ME as well as for Windows NT/2000/XP free on our download page.

AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic [Free] :sweat:

ZoneAlarm® - Basic PC Protection from Hackers

ZoneAlarm is free for individual and not-for-profit charitable entity use (excluding governmental entities and educational institutions).

System Requirements: Windows 98SE/ME/2000 Pro/XP

ZoneAlarm - Basic PC Protection from Hackers [Free] :)

Spybot-Search & Destroy

Spybot - Search & Destroy can detect and remove spyware of different kinds from your computer. Spyware is a relatively new kind of threat that common anti-virus applications do not yet cover. If you see new toolbars in your Internet Explorer that you didn't intentionally install, if your browser crashes, or if you browser start page has changed without your knowing, you most probably have spyware. But even if you don't see anything, you may be infected, because more and more spyware is emerging that is silently tracking your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile of you that will be sold to advertisement companies. Spybot-S&D is free, so there's no harm in trying to see if something snooped into your computer, too :)

Spybot-Search & Destroy [Free] :P

this is what I have used for about 5+ years now:

Norton Corporate Anti-Virus + NAT Firewall hardware router (D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, SMC, etc)

I never use IE other than for windowsupdate and Creative audio card updates...other than that, I only use Firefox

Guest shaolin95

Best antivirus for deep cleaning, Karpersky..best running all the time AntiV will be NOD32 and best firewall will be a good hardware router with Outpost. Add Spysweeper and you have a very safe computer.

AVG is the best. Trend Micro PCCillin was good, too, used that for years, but AVG is much simpler. Panda and Norton are resource hogs, and Bit Defender and NOD32 are a pain in the butt to use. I Don't use any software firewall, and I disable the windows one. I have a Netgear VPN Router, costs a bundle but 8 ports and a nice firewall is worth it. It's supposed to protect from DOS attacks as well, but never had one so I wouldn't know. Use Spybot S&D with TeaTimer enabled in conjunction with Adaware SE and you're good to go, malware wise.