Fans Running Backward

ravix

I don't want to get out a soldering iron/fan right now to test this, so here it goes:

Do you guys know if I can switch the red and black wires of a fan to make it run backward? I'd like to do this because on some fans the back looks much worse than the front and I would like to use them for exhaust on a window. If you guys haven't tried it I'll go ahead and test it myself, and post the results. I just weant to know if it has been done before I waste my time :P

on some fans the back looks much worse than the front and I would like to use them for exhaust on a window.

I thought that the fan blows in the direction of the label, and thus, for an exhaust fan, the label would be facing out? I could be wrong though. :unsure:

(i'm trying to picture my fans, but my comp's upstairs and i'm too lazy to climb the steps)

NO, you can not flip the wires. The motors in the fans only run in one direction. If you reverse ground and +12 the fan will not spin. And even if it did spin it would be very inefficient, because the blades are not just straight flat paddles, they are bent to provide the best airflow, when the fan rotates in the proper, original direction. So you have no other choice but to take the fans off, and flip them around.

Actually I'm gonna try this, because if there anything like other DC motors they should run backwards :blink: Think about this, if you have an electric winch(basic DC motor) how do you get it to run forward and backward, you switch the positive and negative wires, that's how your electric winch works, therefore the same should stand for your DC fan motor, thoretically it's a basic simple DC motor.

Also I'm gonna get brave and cut the blades off and plastic weld them back on backwards. By the way if you have the tools and the skills you could actually do this, lol.