Video artefacts (photos inside)

Hi, I am having problems with my new computer.

Everytime I boot up, I get lots of video artefacts and random blinking characters.

1st boot screen

boot1.jpg

2nd boot screen

boot2.jpg

Windows gets launched

win1.jpg

Then hangs up (power & reset buttons don't respond anymore)

win2.jpg

---

Sometimes, the boot screen looks less ugly

boot

and I can reach the windows desktop.

---

The only way I found to get rid of this is to clear the CMOS.

After that I can run, restart & reset the computer without a problem

but if I shut it off, artefacts come back and I need to clear the CMOS

again.

Any Idea ???

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like you've got an idea of what's going on :)

It only happened 1 or 2 days after I bought the whole computer (last saturday).

I am using this very computer right now to reply but the artefacts are getting worse.

Try uninstalling vid drivers run drive cleaner pro to remove files and install latest Nvidia drivers and see if that cures it.Is card or system overclocked? Please undate sig with PSU and os and any other components.

Try uninstalling vid drivers run drive cleaner pro to remove files and install latest Nvidia drivers and see if that cures it.Is card or system overclocked?

Because the drivers would be loaded at the bios screen. :tooth: My question is, how long does it usually take you to clear cmos? It may be just long enough for your video card to cool down enough to not artifact. I had similar issues with my 7800GT, and when I tore it apart and AS5'd it all, it at least runs enough to play games at stock speed, but it's still getting RMA'd. The fact that it barely ran at stock without modifcations means defective to me. :

At this point, try another video card. if you can, order up a PCI video card becuase they make excellent trouble shooting tools for any PC, and will come in handy in the future for sure. If the artifacts go away, you should RMA that 6800GS stat. :)

Yep. Drive cleaner, double check to physically make sure the Nvidia video driver folder is gone, and start fresh. Double check your bios ram voltage to make sure its 2.6 and set your timings to what they should be. Cas (2) - tRCD (2) - tRPD (2) - tRAS (5)

2.6v should theoretically always be fine, otherwise up it to 2.7v. Not sure if your ram has a 2.75v specification. Might want to check.

Drivers would not affect the bios screen guys! Especially not on a fresh boot!

Again, try with a different video card, if problem persists, well, start swapping parts man. Seriously, drivers are software. They would not be loaded way before the opterating system, there's no way to have a driver loaded without a kernel and at the point this video card is freaking out (video, mobo, something), it could not possibly be the issue unless the nvidia drivers damaged the card themselves, which I highly doubt. Something requires an RMA or a bios change if it's artifacting that early in the game.

Yep. Drive cleaner, double check to physically make sure the Nvidia video driver folder is gone, and start fresh. Double check your bios ram voltage to make sure its 2.6 and set your timings to what they should be. Cas (2) - tRCD (2) - tRPD (2) - tRAS (5)

2.6v should theoretically always be fine, otherwise up it to 2.7v. Not sure if your ram has a 2.75v specification. Might want to check.

Why are you guys recommending that he uninstall the NVIDIA drivers and use drive cleaner when the problem presents itself immediately after powering on, long before Windows begins to load?

To complete my first post : Everything is set to default.

At this point, try another video card. if you can, order up a PCI video card becuase they make excellent trouble shooting tools for any PC, and will come in handy in the future for sure. If the artifacts go away, you should RMA that 6800GS stat.

I "acronymfinder'd" for your RMA thing with no success, what do you mean ?

Heat could be an issue. I once (an Intel build) had the same problem. Overheating was the cause. What is the refresh rate set on your monitor?

Heat is not an issue I think. Here's what everest reports (°C) :

- Motherboard : 40

- CPU : 34

- GPU : 31

- GPU/Ambiant : 21 (Yeah I know :D, the window is open)

- HDD : 31

Again, I am using this buggy setup right now as I type. The artifacts when I re-power the computer up.

As the monitor goes, I own an old sony multiscan. Shouldn't be an issue.

Have you tried reseating the video card? Are all the power connectors properly connected?

Every power connectors are plugged (even those two on the motherboard).

I gonna try to reseat the card.

---

I'll try the card on a different computer tomorrow.

Other hints are also welcomed !

Thanks