Video artefacts (photos inside)

@GuiGui:

1) Can you give us the voltages for each rail on your PSU? Check on label or do search on your PSU.

2) I can't tell for sure, but did I see a "CMOS checksum error" message in one of your screenies? EDIT: Did it say "defaults loaded" after the message?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drivers??? lol not a chance.

Guaranteed its one of 3 things

1. underpowered PSU (maybe only using a 20 pin psu, and dont have all the power connectors plugged in??)

2. RAM It probably dont like corsair like most DFI boards.

3. Unstable CPU (less likely than the other 2)

Try swap out the ram for some other stick(s) and see if that solves the problem.

Failing that, make sure all of the power connectors (inc. the molex and floppy connector on the board) are plugged in.

You could try remove the power from your HD and optical drives to see if its a power issue.

**EDIT**

I'd say its power, "generic 420w"

I'm not sure what a checksum error is..

but what is happening to guigui just happened to me yesterday....

i had never seen this happen before on my pc and i have had it up and running for months now......never a problem with artifacts or weird screens.

turned on my pc yesterday morning and the 1st screen right before POST where it should say "lanparty NF4" was just a bunch of miscolored squares and dots and stuff....the actual POST screen was worse that gui gui's ...couldt even make out any legible words under the artifacts...i freaked out and pulled the power cord cuz i didnt know what was happening.

waited about 2 minutes..plugged the cord back in ...powered it on...nothing wrong at all..back to normal... wtf happened that one time i powered it on ?

could it be related to gui gui's problem ?

im guessing its similar to having artifacts on a rugular NES system...the cartridge just isnt properly seated or all the contacts are not touching.

and before i got this 600 watt psu i was using a 450 on my sli setup i have now ....and even with only 450 watts i wasnt having any probs....maybe even though its not enough recommended wattage it may not be the problem.

RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization. In other words, return the card to either seller or manufacturer
Thanks, me updated.

---

Sorry, I made a mistake, I own a 480W PSU (still a crappy one but still.) Sig updated BTW.

1) Can you give us the voltages for each rail on your PSU? Check on label or do search on your PSU.
I mesured the tensions with a multimeter :

- GFX : 12.2V / 5.12V

- moldex & floppy on mother board : 12.8V / 5.11V

And with EVEREST :

- motherboard : 3.28V / 5.03V / 12.03V

Doesn't look bad to me ... maybe that 3.33 @ 3.28 ...

2) I can't tell for sure, but did I see a "CMOS checksum error" message in one of your screenies? EDIT: Did it say "defaults loaded" after the message?
Yes but I've always reloaded the default myself, just to make sure :) .

Guaranteed its one of 3 things

1. underpowered PSU (maybe only using a 20 pin psu, and dont have all the power connectors plugged in??)

2. RAM It probably dont like corsair like most DFI boards.

1. As stated, all power connectors are plugged and I use a (have to count...) 24pins motherboard connector.

2. :confused: Are you sure ? If I recall correctly, DFI doesn't recommend to use corsair memory on its site but I thought it was one more commercial agreement between manufacturers ... this sound weird. More on that ?

I need to test with an old Generic PCwhatever00 256Mo I got with my Athlon XP (doesn't sound better :D).

I'll report on that.

Thanks everybody.

From reading the post I suggest trying with another video card. The supreme way to check would be to get two video cards. A 6600 or lower card that does not have a 6 pin or molex power connector on it and one with the 6 pin or a molex power on it. This way, if the card with the 6 pin or molex power on it artifacts, then try the other that does not require extra power. If the card that has no 6 pin or molex power works fine and the others artifact I would say it's power supply (even though the rails seem to be ok). If all cards do it, then of course the MB, but if the other card that has 6 pin or molex power on it does not artifact, then you just have a bad card.

Why are you guys recommending that he uninstall the NVIDIA drivers and use drive cleaner when the problem presents itself immediately after powering on, long before Windows begins to load?

Sorry. I didnt catch the part where he said you can see it soon as the machine boots. Ease up there a little, might be time for a break from the forums there guy.

Sorry. I didnt catch the part where he said you can see it soon as the machine boots. Ease up there a little, might be time for a break from the forums there guy.

It's a big giant picture at the very beginning of the post. Unless you are vision-impaired there is no reason to be rude about my response.

I need to test with an old Generic PCwhatever00 256Mo I got with my Athlon XP (doesn't sound better :D).

I'll report on that.

As I write, I am running with 1x256Mo of Generic PC2700 @ 133MHz (manually set in the bios)

BUT ..

This is REALLY getting worse : I had to repeat the clear CMOS routine about 10 times to enter the BIOS without artifacts and for Windows to load (and I had to run it in safe mode once ... should not be related.)

So I can safely assume my Corsair RAM fits, right ??

(I forgot to mention it passed the on board MemTest86+ yesterday.)

im guessing its similar to having artifacts on a rugular NES system...the cartridge just isnt properly seated or all the contacts are not touching.
I unplugged the card and replugged it once : no effects.

From reading the post I suggest trying with another video card. The supreme way to check would be to get two video cards. A 6600 or lower card that does not have a 6 pin or molex power connector on it and one with the 6 pin or a molex power on it. This way, if the card with the 6 pin or molex power on it artifacts, then try the other that does not require extra power. If the card that has no 6 pin or molex power works fine and the others artifact I would say it's power supply (even though the rails seem to be ok). If all cards do it, then of course the MB, but if the other card that has 6 pin or molex power on it does not artifact, then you just have a bad card.
Unfortunatly, I don't have so much video cards nor I know people who does.

I am going to test mine on an Asrock MB soon, the one equiped with PCI-E and AGP slots.

If I had known, I would have not thrown away that good ET6000 from the DOS days.