How much is too much

OK, so, I recentely made an attempt to get from 2.4GHz to 2.5GHz. After tinkering around, and realizing that in order to make the jump there needed to be a significant jump in voltage (from 1.475v to a whopping 1.65v), I started wondering if this was too much voltage. It passed Prime95 overnight with load temperatures of less than 40*C, and I'm not going to have this system for longer than a few more months, so am I at risk or frying my CPU?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its alot of volts, but your temps seem ok....i guess its just a choice of is it worth it for the extra volts needed....if it were me, i would keep it there for awhile and just keep an eye on temps.

thats the same problem i was having. i could take my volts up to 1.7 but sense im watercooled my temps never hit the danger zone. we really need to find out if its actually hurting something or not!

I'm interested in know that too... my 2.2Ghz x2 4400+ will do 2.4-2.5 on stock voltage but to get it to 2.6 I had to use 1.5v (1.49 actual) and now its at 2.7Ghz with 1.55 (1.536v) but the temps are great on water... 22C idle and around 37C with two instances of prime running. I don't want to hurt it though seeing how its only a week old :nod:

I say someone cranks it up and lets us know in about a year :)

Is electromigration more scary sounding than it really is. Well! :sweat: Step right up folks, and be our first contestant. It's only about a 200- 300$ experiment.

PS I overclocked celery's for years using excessive voltage. And they still run flawlessly!

I am really curious to know this because I can only run my venice at 2.5 at 1.63 volts and runs perfectly at 2.4 GHz. I know I want to use this cpu for a full year until my next birthday. I just want to know if it will fry the cpu at any point.

If you have to wait until your next birthday to replace your cpu, then I would NOT use high voltage.:)

According to what I've read on P4's, 1.7 volts is the limit unless you want to invite electomigration. Now those are on a different fab process and these AMD's are on 90nm fab so since its smaller does that mean the limit is higher or lower? I'm not an electrical engineer but I'd say its lower and since the die is a 1/3 smaller maybe the voltage is 1/3rd less but that makes no sense. With the 90nm fab they also use a SOI (silicon on insulator) process that helps prevent current leakage. Does this affect electromigration?

How does temperature affect electromigration? you can run your CPU at 1.9v on phase change cause it never goes over 20C, er whatever, and you never hear from those guys on how long their processor lasted.

It would be interesting to see a sticky in these forums on how long past processors have lasted on increased voltages and what their voltages were. Like the O/C database.... thats great and all but are all those systems posted in there still running? Past systems that have failed and how long they lasted?

I just upgraded from a P4 2.8c on an Abit IC7-Max3 mobo which at the the time was the king of P4 875 chipset overclocking.... had it for 2 years running o/c at 3.2Ghz with pc4000 ram.... got better overclocks with 2 sticks but was running 4 so I decided to upgrade to the new 2G kit xp4000 from Mushkin since newegg had it for only $227 when I had paid $400 for the 4x1G corsair that I had. Plugged it in, worked great... put system specs back to where I had them when I originally had 2x256 running (O/C on intel with 4 sticks was hard because the timing signals would limit o/c but with 2 sticks it wasn't as big an issue). Booted at 3.5Ghz and ran for 1.7v with 4 phase power on the Abit and ran for about 5 minutes and then reboots.... and then no more life... something died.... I was like wtf. Tested the processor and the ram and video card all to be tip-top. THE BOARD died?!? and it was the king of the pack/pick of the litter.

Sometimes you wonder if someone somewhere started this craze so that you could be exited for 6mo. and they could sell more boards/processors/ram/graphics cards and charge more for them. Just something to think about. I hate playing into anyones scheme.

It would be nice if someone knowledgable enough to answer these questions subscribed to these forums. You'd think with the tech behind these boards and their rep this would be the place you'd find someone like that however most electrical engineers probably run their computers at "spec" because the little performance gain isn't worth all the other headaches... not to mention most of them are too busy with work to game or care about a 10-20 fps boost.

Speaking of that, when you can get a 10-20 fps boost from overclocking and your system already is running at 170fps.... what's the point?

Its like from the movie Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas.... "Once you get locked into a serious drug collection.... there's a tendency to push it as far as you can."

I guess we do it because we can. Thats what I told my wife the other day when I was trying to explain OC'ing to her. From what I read everywhere, hi vcore is bad no matter what the temp. I've done it too but now I'm just running 1.39-1.5 through my x2 and I still worry a little. It's still a 900$ cpu.

Good Luck Guys!

--EJM