If you have an X2 and a 7800 GTX, please do this test for me

Run dxdiag and click the display tab. Then click Test Direct3D.

When you look at the cube, is it 100% positively buttery smooth or do you have even the slightest amount of stuttering.

Please look VERY VERY closely. Put your face up to the screen if you have to and tell me you don't have the tinyest bit of stuttering at all.

I just ordered an AMD 3800+ to replace my X2 3800 with because I am still having this issue.

It is not the affinity problem that causes stuttering and/or crashing after playing games for awhile. It's a constant stutter every 1 second.

I dont think it's my 7800 GTX because I have 2 of them and tried each one separately, in both slots, with the SLI jumpers set for either mode.

Yes I have the AMD Dual Core drivers installed. It really doesnt matter what drivers I install or what settings I change in drivers or my BIOS. The problem is always there.

I originally thought it was my monitor but I was wrong. Even on a CRT if I look closely enough I can notice the slightest amount of stuttering. It's just enough to make me sick that I spent all this money on such a beastly system.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really looking for people to do this test with a setup closer to mine. You don't have a single piece of hardware that matches mine. But I am glad that you don't have it. It's really annoying and I would hate to wish it upon anyones new build. It's going to cost me a fortune to figure this one out.

Looks fine on mine. And yes I know it's the 512MB version, however it uses the same drivers as the normal GTX. It shouldn't matter what graphics card you use, pretty much anything should run it completely fine.

edit: no dual core drivers or any of the stuff on mine, always worked fine for me.

I'll take your slight, nose-to-the-screen-to-notice-it stuttering over my constant crashing anyday.

Until it crashes it runs smooth as silk though.

--Hudson

Well then it's got to be either my CPU or my motherboard. There are no other factors involved. Tried new power supply, RAM, with/without the sound card, each vid card separately, with/without raid. With/without every different combination of driver revisions. There's nothing left to try. What are the chances that 2 XFX 7800 GTX are defective? And what kind of stupid defect is this? I've never seen this before. I mean, seriously, latest bios, fresh install of windows xp pro sp2, latest drivers, beastly monster system i mean besides the processor what better could I have done than this? I've been building computers for years and I always run into these stupid problems that nobodys ever had before. It's depressing, and expensive. I just spent $282 on a single core processor just for testing purposes because this is my first AMD build. And the only reason I said to put your face up close to the screen is because most people dont have LCD's. It is the easiest to notice on a huge LCD screen and I had to be right up to the CRT to even notice it. It happens even with the hardware acceleration tuned down in the troubleshooting section of display properties! All my temps and voltages are normal, nothing out of the ordinary. A tad on the warm side but nothing to be concerned about. I've been trying to figure this out for weeks now, scourging various manufacturer and guru forums till wee hours of the morning. What I have noticed so far is that none of you are using the same BIOS as I am. In fact only one of you has the same motherboard. I wonder if that beta BIOS would correct my problem do you think? Maybe my PCI Express bus was defective? What are the actual chances of that and that it would be so minor to cause such a little but extremely annoying problem. Chances are I'm in the .000001 percentile of people that could possible either get a CPU with such a small defect or 2 identical cards with the same defect or comon.. a small defect in PCI Express bus?

Hmm.. I tried the test and I can't see what you are seeing. The cube spins so darned fast how can you tell there is any stuttering? I just see corners and a blur.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Um...you say you need to be up real close to the screen on a CRT to notice it correct? So it looks fine far away? Perhaps there's nothing wrong at all, I doubt that program is highly optimzed for speed and accuracy, it's only there to show that your hardware works. Or maybe you're noticing the screen 'tearing' ever so slightly, which is gonna happen if you don't have v-sync on. Hell mine probably tears too.

My point is if you can't see anything wrong til you're inches from the screen then there's no problem. Who cares what that test shows, it's not designed to be perfect. Instead, how 'bout you break out some games and see how well they run? ;)

Edit: I realize you dropped quite a bit on this system, but even as such don't expect all games to run smoothly at max settings. It just won't happen.