If you have an X2 and a 7800 GTX, please do this test for me

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna throw this suggestion out there...have you tried switching the channels that the SATA HDD's are on? Like, try 1 and 3, or 2 and 4, or 1 and 4, and 2 and 3?

Yes I have tried this. It does not change anything. This is not a hard drive issue. The problem occurs even when displaying graphics that are loaded into memory and no hard drive access.

Your symptoms sounds like a program in the background hogging the CPU or graphics every once in a while. I have seen task manager do this. To get an indication of the offending program look in task manager (if you have it started when you see the stutter it might be the culprit, but it can be great to find the program).

Select:

View->Update Speed->High

Press the CPU column to sort the list so high CPU usage is at the top. Notice if there is a program that spikes every second.

Alternatively quit the programs you have running one at a time until you the stutter dissapears.

The problem exists even after manually forcing every non-system process closed with process explorer. In addition, it occurs after a fresh install of Windows with nothing but drivers installed.

^ try that set ur cpu to use 1 core ive heard of studdering wen ppk run both cores cuz its like fighting and distributing between them..im sure the new drivers fixed it but give it a shot

Well, apparently you did not read my last update. I installed a single core CPU and the problem still exists.

No problems here, looks smooth for a spinning cube. I ve always attributed stuttering to hard drive issues or bad ram, have you tested those?

I did extensive diagnostics on my hard drives using the Hitachi diagnostics utility and there doesn't appear to be a single problem with either of them. I have also tried different RAM and about 1000 different possible timings on both sets of RAM, each of which pass memtest for 24 hours.

I've tried both cards individually, with and without the jumpers in SLI mode, and tried each card in each slot individually. I think the chances of me having received 2 defective cards are slim to none, but the chance is still there. I should be receiving a new motherboard tomorrow (I chose a different brand this time, so how I think the DFI boards are more trouble than they are worth for non-overclockers) and will post an update as to whether or not this was the problem. If it was in fact the motherboard, I'll be sure to be RMAing my DFI.

Mmm.. take out your audigy ZS, use teh onboard sound. See how it works. I'd bet a bazillion dollars you have your vid cards on teh same IRQ as your sound card and its causing stuttering... I too have an audigy, and it is using the same IRQ as my vid cards, but doesnt stutter.

Thats not to say that it couldn't though.. only my vidcards and soundcard are sharing the same IRQ, but i've built systems in the past that had the ethernet, sound, vidcard, serial port and a billion other things all on one IRQ.

Swap PCI slots for your soundcard as well. For reference, my audigy is on the bottom pci slot.

If that doesn't work, take EVERYTHING out of that computer except 1 vidcard, 1 stick of ram, the cpu, and the mobo itself lol. Run 1 hard drive and 1 DVD-rom/Cd-Rom as well. Turn off all your network/on-board sound. Do a fresh install of WinXP, install SP2. Install NOTHING else, no anti virus etc. etc... Write down every single IRQ/IO address etc. that is listed in device manager by each device.

now install a game, and play.

If it doesn't stutter, ad 1 component at a time back into your system until it stutters again. Once it does, remove the last piece of hardware. See if it still stutters. If it doesn't, problem solved. If it does, reference your IRQ/IO list you wrote down. See if anything changed (since it stutters even with the offending piece of hardware removed).

That should be a good starting point for now

P.S. im building a system for my 8 year old cousin (lol, luckiest little . ever. what 8 year old has a 7800GT and a 2.6ghz AMD64 lol, love that little guy - yes, he lives with me) - but point is, DFI boards are not that bad at all for non-overclockers. The nice thing about DFI boards is even if something doesn't work, there are so many settings that you can change to eventually get it to work. Some mobo's out there if it doesn't work, you're screwed, because it's all set "automatically" - sometimes never allowing you to specify the CORRECT setting yourself.

Just a thought, but good luck mate.

P.S. 2 MAKE SURE you don't have programs like motherboard monitor etc. installed... they poll the system every second causing this stutter issue.

I think you are misinterpeting this test. all it is testing is the MS directx drivers.

not your graphics card.it starts by saying testing dx7 drvs.next test says testing dx8

drvs. last test says testing dx9 drvs. MS is just testing the functionallity of dx drvs.

the shimmering comes from when they first started this test dx7 drvs. if you would remember that box never use to spin that fast. its an old graphics drawing on MS behal.

Guys, I have already tried everything you suggested. And once again, I am not misinterpereting the dxdiag test. That test is just the quickest way to display graphics on your computer after a fresh install of windows and forceware/nforce drivers without installing any games. The same EXACT stuttering problem exists in ANY type of graphic animations displayed on my screen, including games. If you do not see any stuttering in that display test, then I should not either. The audigy is not my problem. This stuttering occurs with barebones. I have already replaced EVERY part in the computer with brand new parts, with the exception of the graphics cards. I now have 2 stuttering computers with XFX 7800 GTXs -- both completely different processor and motherboard. Awaiting an EVGA 7800 GTX to arrive tomorrow to see if I got 2 bad XFX cards.

Almost $4000 in the hole and I still cannot fix this. If it IS a driver problem, then you guys are all a$$holes for not looking closely enough and noticing this very minor stutter. But I doubt that could be true!

I really take offense to you denigerating the people who replied

to your thread if you you don't like the anwsers that you recieved

are will recieve in future post don't post. these are your problems

not ours, you asked for ideas as to why your equipment doesn't

function properly. as with anything related to computer hardware

failure. it becomes a method of elimination, to resolve the problem

to which you are down to 2 . the graphics cards. to help you later

in trouble-shooting graphics cards buy a cheap pci card to use

while you remove the other(s) graphic cards while using the afore-

mention trouble shooting practice. but then you may not want to use

any of this info from an alleged a$$hole.