If you have an X2 and a 7800 GTX, please do this test for me

Hmm.. I tried the test and I can't see what you are seeing. The cube spins so darned fast how can you tell there is any stuttering? I just see corners and a blur.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Hi, sry to butt in here but i was wondering what you thought of you artic cooler 5 rev 3, has it droped your temps by much, this is my second 7800GT, droped the last one lol, anyway this new one runs hotter than the las, and it dont OC as well as the last as soon as my card hits 73+ it crash my games to desk top! these thing are like gold dust! :drool:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it stutter in any games, 3DMark or Aquamark? If its stutters every 1 second is it possible it couild be another system process running in the background causing the interruption? A long shot, but its not the DVD drive polling to see if there is a disc inserted....

There is no way that you CPU or motherboard is defective - they simply wouldn't work at all. I have a similar setup to yours and if I was able to run dxdiag now (I'm at work) and it stuttered I wouldn't care at all, as long as everythig else checks out ok then thats the best test for me.

Cheers.

I did it and it looks just fine to me. I looked carefully and no stutters - and I did it while ripping a DVD lol - man dual core is nice. :)

Have you tried different resolutions? I am running 1920x1200 with the most recent NVidia drivers - from like 4-5 days ago I think.

Edit: Should also say, no stutter whatsoever playing BF2 at 1920x1200 with high details and ultra quality sound (X-Fi card.)

Um...you say you need to be up real close to the screen on a CRT to notice it correct? So it looks fine far away? Perhaps there's nothing wrong at all, I doubt that program is highly optimzed for speed and accuracy, it's only there to show that your hardware works. Or maybe you're noticing the screen 'tearing' ever so slightly, which is gonna happen if you don't have v-sync on. Hell mine probably tears too. My point is if you can't see anything wrong til you're inches from the screen then there's no problem. Who cares what that test shows, it's not designed to be perfect. Instead, how 'bout you break out some games and see how well they run? ;)

Trust me, this is not tearing. The problem exists with or without vsync. And I don't use a CRT I use an LCD in which the problem is highly noticable. CRTs dont fit on my desk and I'm not about to buy new furniture, and I'm not about to throw a brand new $500 monitor in the closet. It's just quickest and easiest to load up dxdiag this way everyone can perform the test. The problem exists in any graphical application with moving animations including games. My animations are not smooth so there IS something wrong.

Edit: I realize you dropped quite a bit on this system, but even as such don't expect all games to run smoothly at max settings. It just won't happen.

The stuttering occurs at EVERY resolution even at the LOWEST settings on any video game or any fast moving graphics. The stuttering is not a slowdown or anything. Games run 60FPS consistently at 1600x1200 with full AA and everything on MAX settings. Regardless of any of this, I would be satisfied to play a game at 800x600 at the lowest settings without seeing this stutter.

What are ur temps? could be they are getting two hot, sry its just a guess!

try loose memory timings!

My temps and voltages are all within normal parameters. I've tried every possible memory timing in existence (and trust me, that took a long time). I've tried EVERYTHING.

Does it stutter in any games, 3DMark or Aquamark? If its stutters every 1 second is it possible it couild be another system process running in the background causing the interruption? A long shot, but its not the DVD drive polling to see if there is a disc inserted....

It happens in 3DMark. It happens in every graphical application and every game even after killing every non-system process running on the system, and even after setting affinity to either CPU. I have even gone as far as to disable both IDE channels, and still no change. Man, it happens with BAREBONES.

There is no way that you CPU or motherboard is defective - they simply wouldn't work at all. I have a similar setup to yours and if I was able to run dxdiag now (I'm at work) and it stuttered I wouldn't care at all, as long as everythig else checks out ok then thats the best test for me.

There is no reason why graphics should be stuttering. It has to be the motherboard or the CPU. There is nothing else to test! I built this machine to play games and as of right now that 1 second stuttering makes some of my favorite games unbearable.

Smooth as butter and my system is extremely similiar to yours, except motherboard is SLI-DR Expert with recent bios.

I have applied the AMD dual coe WinXP driver but not the Microsoft Hotfix and everything is running beautifully.

I did have one problem where I did not download the entire nVidia driver set including ForceWare and that was causing huge OpenGL issues for me. Once I did that last night, the whole issue went away.

Hope this helps.

Well, I just want to give you guys an update. I receive my single core 3800+ today and it hasn't changed a thing. Next will be the motherboard and then the graphics cards. I really don't want to think that there is a problem with my graphics cards. That's $900 right there. So far, $400 in the hole over and above the $3000 I already spent on building this rig. But even though my X2 3800 was not defective or in any way causing my problem, as I suspected the problem I am having obviously has nothing to do with affinity and lies in some other piece of hardware. If it ends up being my graphics cards, well, then I must be the most unlucky person in the world to have received 2 defective cards at the same time. As you would have said it's like winning the lottery. The chances of me receiving 2 defective graphics cards are probably about the same as receiving a CPU with such a minor defect in it. Will post an update when I receive my new Abit KN8 SLI motherboard.

Your symptoms sounds like a program in the background hogging the CPU or graphics every once in a while. I have seen task manager do this. To get an indication of the offending program look in task manager (if you have it started when you see the stutter it might be the culprit, but it can be great to find the program).

Select:

View->Update Speed->High

Press the CPU column to sort the list so high CPU usage is at the top. Notice if there is a program that spikes every second.

Alternatively quit the programs you have running one at a time until you the stutter dissapears.