DFI Expert CPU temp sensor reporting incorrectly?

ahh, i am so upset about this whole thing.. i just recently switched from asus to dfi .. picked up the nf4 ultra - D paired up with an A64 4000+ at 2.9Ghz i see 19C IDLE.... 25 LOAD if im lucky 27 lol.. with my asus i would be seeing 40C+

what the hell :confused:

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh, i am so upset about this whole thing.. i just recently switched from asus to dfi .. picked up the nf4 ultra - D paired up with an A64 4000+ at 2.9Ghz i see 19C IDLE.... 25 LOAD if im lucky 27 lol.. with my asus i would be seeing 40C+

what the hell :confused:

it sure is a kick in the pants considering that my entire reason for going with the DFI Expert was for overlocking purposes, and now I'm flyin' blind with $2000 worth of gear...

I guess the thing that upsets me most is that the company has yet to make an announcement on the issue. You would think that their engineers are working 24/7 toward an immediate fix; considering the impact this may have on their reputation. After all, DFI sells most of their boards to overclockers, so if that primary clientbase cant trust the board to report correct temps, then that little marketing niche flies right out the window!..

we shall see.

Well we all have a bunch of different CPU's and we all get pretty much the same readings so I don't even see why they are bothering to stuff around with testing CPU's. Just fix the damn mobos :(

I've hit close to 40c from 25c idle on a hot aussie day so im kinda wondering what the real temp was now... an 800mhz overclock on a CPU is just scary with no temp monitor and 1.6v :P

Even more annoyed that I just spent ages writing a message to their techs then got a database error on their website and lost my message :shake:

How accurate are digital multimeters for checking CPU temp? Where do you touch the tip of the DMM to get the reading?

for a real reading? you'd have to reach the core beneath the IHS... thus it's pretty much impossible with a multimeter probe. Alot of people with waterblocks and such can get close to it, or even measure on the top of the IHS... and there are some who use the thin sensors that cut/squeeze them between the pins beneath the chip before placing it into the socket...

but to be honest, there isnt really a single decent way to measure actual core temps with a probe... :(

... and there are some who use the thin sensors that cut/squeeze them between the pins beneath the chip before placing it into the socket...
I remember this used to be possible with older chips like the socket 462, but is that still possible with the socket 939 chips? Which sensor is capable of fitting between all the pins on these chips?

Does anyone use central brain ID? It gives you a supposed temperature offset. not sure if its correct or not, but it says my temps are under by 7c.

No, what's that? That is the main reason I was asking about the DMM, I would like to know how much my motherboard is off by, right now I'm just adding 10C to all my temps, which seems about right, with both cores at full load I get 38 + 10 = 48C, but some people say their boards are off by as much as 20C! In which case I'd be in trouble...

Does anyone use central brain ID? It gives you a supposed temperature offset. not sure if its correct or not, but it says my temps are under by 7c.

FYI, I think CBID gives temp offsets based on the CPU, not the MoBo..might help.