unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

Guest berknip
The Opteron 170 to look for is the CCB1E 0550 VPMW...hands down the best around.

It can still be found if you are prepared to shell out a little bit more than retailprice.

You guys absolutely kick a$$. Thanks for the suggestions. I've poked around and tried to find the 170 VPMW, but they ARE scarce. I'm not too concerned about the cost (although I'm not going to get gouged or blindly trust eBay), but I think it's going to take some time to locate/acquire one. Flickerdown seems to be a good source for CPUs, so I guess I'll keep an eye out there.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, my previous system had 6xHDs on the Neo480. My current system has 9xHDs on the OCZ 600 along with all the other gear.

I think you should redistribute the voltage across the PSUs differently. You need to measure more than the rails; you must also measure the Vcore and Vdimm. I'm not sure how you have the PSUs connected but here is my recommendation.

Enermax: Motherboard, SLI Video

2nd PSU: 4xHDs, Optical

or

Enermax: Motherboard, boot HD, Optical, etc

2nd PSU: SLI Video, HDs, etc

Measure your Vcore, Vdimm and rails under Idle / Load.

OC just the CPU and measure Vcore, Vdimm and rails.

OC just the Video cards and measure Vcore, Vdimm and rails.

Any difference? More system stability?

Try to isolate the issue before replacing the PSU.

Also, review the PSU Cross Loading thread on this forum. Many high power PSU have cross loading requirements that restrict their performance.

When I monitored my OCZ PSU with my multimeter, Vcore, Vdimm and all rails and were rock stable from idle to priming load.

cjoe

Thats when things point into the same conclusion: the vcore was rock stable, a flat line as if "sorry, the patient died", the OCCT and Speed fan graph showed this but that was a long time ago. Now the vcore is a zigzag, with little variations of course, but still a zigzag.

I think I measured the two 12v rails and one is bad, while the other one is worse. The 5v rail is also low and I believe this is the source of the lockup freeze problems: the RAID-0 array fails to work. The numerous disk errors detected by CHKDSK point into this conclusion as well.

So far when loading 3D is when the voltage drops the most with something like 0.25v, while dual Prime95 drops it around 0.07v. Funny since IMO after measuring all the rails the one feeding the video cards is the strongest.

I tried using PCIe and SATA power adapter(s) to change the power load and the result was one time worse, at least what the DMM read. I haven't tried the second psu to power HDD's or video yet, because I don't trust it either; its a Coolmax 400w 24pin, capable of very little power and right now it has its hands full with the water pump, three cold cathodes and specially with 7 fans, of which two are TT 120mm smart fans and 3 are 120mm medium power Panaflo.

A new psu isn't going to be a $$$ problem, in fact its the contrary. I have this other system at my bedroom with a nForce3 Ultra chipset and an Enermax 20pin psu. If the "faulty" Enermax results to be AOK, then I will have a spare power supply to use when ever I upgrade my bedroom computer's mobo, hopefully soon since its a brand I really hate.

berknip.- even if you don't find the Opteron 170 you are looking for and only have the option of a "not so good" core, believe me it will still overclock like a bat out of hell. My 175 wasn't "that good", or so I thought, and it can overclock up to 2.5ghz with stock vcore... a 4400+ Toledo can only reach 2.3ghz with stock vcore most of the time, so go for the 170 VPMW but if you don't find it get another one and don't worry :)

If that's the case, then your PSU is borked. I'm surprised that a 600+ watt PSU cannot handle such a moderate load.

Have you considered redistributing your load like I recommended? Your PSU may just have cross loading issues.

cjoe

I did, I connected the video cards using the molex2PCIe connectors, also did the same with the four HDD's, and nothing. Like I said one combination produced worse 12v and 5v voltages :(

One Enermax Noisetaker 600w batch from Newegg was really bad, as bad as to literally die with a big bang; a friend in this city had two that died in that noisy way. I bought this one then, but I think it wasn't like that. However Enermax pulled this model out of production and a modified model, Noisetaker 2 I think, with ATX2.2 certification is in production; the new 8pin 12v connector isn't the only thing changed, aparently the 5v and 12v coils are diferent now... maybe there was a flaw in their design. Its a shame all the user reviews at Newegg aren't there anymore for everyone to read, 1 out of every 20 users had a DOA. Enermax is a good brand of power supplies, this one is the third I had and the first one that gave me any problems.

If this is the case I will RMA it as soon as I can, all I have to do is remove it from the system and test it outside; I have all the necesary equipment, minus an Oscilloscope, to test it and see how does it work with out loads; if I see an anomaly then there won't be any dobts.

I did, I connected the video cards using the molex2PCIe connectors, also did the same with the four HDD's, and nothing. Like I said one combination produced worse 12v and 5v voltages :(

One Enermax Noisetaker 600w batch from Newegg was really bad, as bad as to literally die with a big bang; a friend in this city had two that died in that noisy way. I bought this one then, but I think it wasn't like that. However Enermax pulled this model out of production and a modified model, Noisetaker 2 I think, with ATX2.2 certification is in production; the new 8pin 12v connector isn't the only thing changed, aparently the 5v and 12v coils are diferent now... maybe there was a flaw in their design. Its a shame all the user reviews at Newegg aren't there anymore for everyone to read, 1 out of every 20 users had a DOA. Enermax is a good brand of power supplies, this one is the third I had and the first one that gave me any problems.

If this is the case I will RMA it as soon as I can, all I have to do is remove it from the system and test it outside; I have all the necesary equipment, minus an Oscilloscope, to test it and see how does it work with out loads; if I see an anomaly then there won't be any dobts.

Yeah, sounds like a lost cause. RMA it before it decides to take your system down for good.

Usually, a good 500Watt PSU will handle a good CPU OC with good Video and 4HDs without an issue. I would see if NewEgg will allow you to exchange it for another brand.

good luck

cjoe

I can still choose the PSU to be RMA'ed at Newegg.com... don't know why or how since I bought it exactly one year ago. Either way if Newegg.com can't I will go to Enermax.

I don't use my system anymore :sad: ... just thinking a component will fail because of low voltages will literally stop me from pushing the power button. At least I have other two computers working at the moment to help me thru this horrible ordeal, lol; this sarcasm means everything is ok, just sad because my gaming system is out of order at the moment.

Sorrento, have you tried PC Power & Cooling's 850?

HAHA, no... but I was seriously thinking about it. What I didn't like, well other than those $450+ dlls, are the specs: does it has four 12v rails or does it has three 12v rails?

At one specs list it clearly say 4x 17amp 12v rails... while on other it says 2x 17amps and 1x 30amps... or something.

I don't need that much, if its that much btw, for my system with the current configuration (2x psu's)... so a less expensive FX700 will have to do. Maybe in a not distant future I will go for the 850 Turbo SSI and leave the FX700 for a secondary system.

If I had a diferent system the 850 would be ideal.