unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

Theirs a good PSU thread on XtremeSystems Forums, as for all Opterons are really good thats not the case the fabrication of the processors has just moved up a notch like all new hardware the 3000 bar is starting to become standard even on Dual Cores.

Hi

In which case is it still worth trying to track down a 0550 VPMW or UPMW 170 opty? or should I go for a new - as in freshly made- one?

Or is that the $64 million dollar question - 3G question :nod:

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theirs a good PSU thread on XtremeSystems Forums, as for all Opterons are really good thats not the case the fabrication of the processors has just moved up a notch like all new hardware the 3000 bar is starting to become standard even on Dual Cores.

Read it since the need for a new psu started :)

Not sure, but I still believe the worse Opteron 175 is a lot better than the average Toledo 4400+... at least to my knoledge; the moment I see a Toledo overclocking as well I wll change my mind :P

kberguy1, how are you increasing the vcore voltage? There are three settings at Genie section of BIOS, the first one controls the default voltage... but once the other two are set then the first one no longer matters. These other two consist on a vcore setting and a % to raise it. Are you using these two?

Wow, 3 ghz with a dual core is amazing... but, are those 2 x 512kb L2 cache or 2 x 1mb? I know that for some programs cache size doesn't matter much, specially with dual cores... but with others there is a huge performance diference, not sure if it was like with single cores: 200 mhz pr diference.

kberguy1, how are you increasing the vcore voltage? There are three settings at Genie section of BIOS, the first one controls the default voltage... but once the other two are set then the first one no longer matters. These other two consist on a vcore setting and a % to raise it. Are you using these two?

I have though about using a lower vcore value and then raising percentage a bit to "split" between 1.325 V BIOS and 1.350V BIOS, but have just been using the vcore setting for now.

My processor seems to have no tolerance for raising vcore before it fails :(

Try using the other two values instead, I am sure they will work to what ever vcore voltage you set them to.

Use this table, easier than using a calculator:

a64vid0ej.jpg

If for example you want the vcore to be 1.4v then set CPU VID to 1.275 and CPU VID Special to 110%.

AMD64 processors have a vcore limit, not sure what the Opterons have but maybe thats why you can't increase it manually using the first value. The other two are used to "fool" this limit by using a low CPU VID and using a % multiplier to increase it with out the CPU ever knowing whats happening :)

The official reason is other... thats just my humble interpretation :P

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I have the same series of Opteron 170 0550 UPMW as this gentleman (mine is a 408L substrate), and am hitting the exact same problem. If I keep my temps below 40 C everything is fine, but trying to raise voltages from stock 1.325 v in BIOS kills it instantly when doing dual SP2004. The funny thing is that at 1.325 v I can do full 24 hr dual SP2004@2650MHz with no problem. Raise it to 2670 MHz and/or increase to 1.350 vcore and instant failure on core 1.

Here are the current results of my overclocking:

my2ndsp2004screenshot9qt.th.jpg

I just ordered in a new Thermalright XP90C heat sink and Vantec 92 mm Tornado fan, in the hope I can get a mid 2700 OC. If I can achieve this, I will upgrade to a water cooled system. Otherwise, I will be looking for another CPU

I to have a 0550 upmw 170 tested it to 280*9=2520 at vcore 1.5 both cores prime OK at 48c Mmmmmm...

However I just poped in a 0550 VPMW 170 1st test 280*9=2520, 2nd test 300*9=2700 at 1.325 vcore 52c full load... I think this is going to be the good one, so will run it like this for a while then pop my new Zalman 9500 and will report back on how far it'll go.. (Seems like most CPU's it's a lottery)

IMK

Just got hold of a 170 CCB1E 0550 VPMW. Will be picking it up tomorrow. I'll be having a great weekend OC'ing that bad boy.

I'm really excited about getting that magic CPU stepping.

cjoe

I'm burning in my 170 CCB1E 0550 VPMW now at 2.7Ghz @ 1.36V. This cpu is really hot compared to my 0551 UPMW.

170 CCB1E 0550 VPMW - 2.7Ghz @ 1.36V Load = 45-47C

170 CCBWE 0551 UPMW - 2.75Ghz @ 1.50V Load = 44-45C

Hopefully, burn-in will help cure the AS5 and improve the thermal paste inside the IHS.

cjoe

cjoe

1.36v @ 2.7 ghz? Wow

And well said, the new one has 2º C higher temperature, and a ton of voltage in between... and it is a lot considering how great 2 deg are a % of the average temperature. When I saw the diference between my 3700+ and my Opty 175 of nearly 4º C I was freaked out! The diference in voltage and overclock was huge in comparison then. Hopefully the temperatures will normalize after some hard use.

Have you ever removed the IHS? I think I read you did with other Opterons... but maybe that was someone else.