unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased an Opteron 165 and could only find the Retail verison. I haven't purchased any after market cooling for it and was wondering if someone who has a 165 OCed it with stock cooling could let me know how much of an OC you got.

And to those of you who don't think it will OC well without an after market cooler, which one do you like?

I've heard good things about the Thermalright XP-90.

Thanks!

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked up an Opty 170 but I havn't used dual core yet. Could someone please direct me somewhere that will explain how I load both cores with Prime,memtest, etc. for burn in and stability testing (or recommend other freeware). I want to over clock as I have with 3500+ but havn't quite figured core loading part yet.

Thanks in advance

Benamin

I just picked up an Opty 170 but I havn't used dual core yet. Could someone please direct me somewhere that will explain how I load both cores with Prime,memtest, etc. for burn in and stability testing (or recommend other freeware). I want to over clock as I have with 3500+ but havn't quite figured core loading part yet.

Thanks in advance

Benamin

Here you go: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...860&postcount=5

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased an Opteron 165 and could only find the Retail verison. I haven't purchased any after market cooling for it and was wondering if someone who has a 165 OCed it with stock cooling could let me know how much of an OC you got.

And to those of you who don't think it will OC well without an after market cooler, which one do you like?

I've heard good things about the Thermalright XP-90.

Thanks!

The standard cooler is very good for the opterons. XP-90 will only knock 4-5C's off, XP120/SL120 will knock 8-9C off roughly

The standard cooler is very good for the opterons. XP-90 will only knock 4-5C's off, XP120/SL120 will knock 8-9C off roughly

Thank you for the reply.

Do you know if the 4-5C increase is primarily from the the HS or the Fan?

I was reading that the HS is pretty good, but people are less impressed with the dual core opty retail fan.

EDIT:

I am also wondering if the temp difference increases as you OC. In other words, is it 4-5C difference at stock settings, but then becomes 5-6 or 7-8 as you begin to OC more and more?

I personally dont believe in this 'burn in' poo. But i do think that processor's do get better after a few weeks to 6 months of use. I think if you find its max, in a month or so you'll find it will surpass it. Starting off extremly low just wastes your time i think. But we all have our opinions on this one ;)

Well, to each their own. :)

I just like to use default initially for 3-4hrs to insure everythings okay first. Then I'll pick some comfortable FSB and let her rip for 3-4hrs again. If all goes well, I just keep adding 5mhz and burn again for 3-4hrs. I keep leap froggin until I encounter an error. When I hit the error, I up the voltage slightly and go for it again. If it passes for 8hrs, then I'll increase the fsb again by 5mhz.

Every evening I will let it burn all night with slightly lower voltage until I get an error.

For me, this works very well. My 0551 core1 was very weak. After this 2week burn-in process, it reached 2.75 @ 1.5V. Not too bad considering that 2.7G was a challenge.

My 0550 VPMW is now doing 2.85G @ 1.4V after 24hrs of priming... Load and Idle temps are still slightly high. I might be going topless sooner than I anticipated.

cjoe

Yea, agreed, it's important to make sure it's stable before you start. I just didn't expect the chip to get better with more use, that's all :)

I guess with your post, perhaps I should re-think that and try again later.

When i first got my opti i tryed 240fsb at stock voltage and it failed after a few hours so i ran prime at stock fsb and voltage for 12 hours, it went fine. Next i up the fsb by 10 and went for eight hours, repeated the process and got to 240, it passed no problem. I do believe in burning in CPU's.

When i first got my opti i tryed 240fsb at stock voltage and it failed after a few hours so i ran prime at stock fsb and voltage for 12 hours, it went fine. Next i up the fsb by 10 and went for eight hours, repeated the process and got to 240, it passed no problem. I do believe in burning in CPU's.

I think its really important especially in the beginning. I've heard of stories where people push their CPUs too hard in the beginning and then the cpus don't OC as far.

I believe by doing long burn-in at moderate speeds allows the CPU to OC further. The thermal paste inside the IHS performs better as well as the circuits slowly getting acclimated to the voltage, heat, and speed. Otherwise, the CPU gets too much of a "shock" by running at max initially.

I try to burn in (stretch) both ways: faster at moderate voltage and slower at low voltage.

cjoe

Thank you for the reply.

Do you know if the 4-5C increase is primarily from the the HS or the Fan?

I was reading that the HS is pretty good, but people are less impressed with the dual core opty retail fan.

EDIT:

I am also wondering if the temp difference increases as you OC. In other words, is it 4-5C difference at stock settings, but then becomes 5-6 or 7-8 as you begin to OC more and more?

Thats genrally speaking, not precise but im sure everyone will agree with that estimate. 45- on a XP90, 8ish on a XP120 from the stock cooling on a Opteron. Meaning a fair few GHZ more. .300 to .700 more than stock basically