unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there was an issue with the 704 beta when it came out so they removed the anything over 113% as I recall..check the Tmod modded bioses thread for more info

Not on mine...I'm using the latest CD from here and I've got up to 131% if I remember correctly, or thereabouts at least.

Not sure if it is the Raid array thats helping me out, seriously I was priming for 4-5 hours and could still do anything in windows, played with excel and wrote a report. Didn't feel like anything was wrong and task manager consistently reported 100% usage on both cores, never had that happen at lower speeds but it could be a coincidence. Normally I don't even want to open up display properties during priming but I had to this time to shut off the screensaver, thats when I first noticed it was running fine.

Beats me. *shrug*

Not on mine...I'm using the latest CD from here and I've got up to 131% if I remember correctly, or thereabouts at least.

Not sure if it is the Raid array thats helping me out, seriously I was priming for 4-5 hours and could still do anything in windows, played with excel and wrote a report. Didn't feel like anything was wrong and task manager consistently reported 100% usage on both cores, never had that happen at lower speeds but it could be a coincidence. Normally I don't even want to open up display properties during priming but I had to this time to shut off the screensaver, thats when I first noticed it was running fine.

Beats me. *shrug*

Prime95 runs at very low priority, so if another process runs it takes higher cpu priority over Prime95; if this was the opposite then Prime95 would be the only thing running.

Question: do you run Prime95 at the default test? That doesn't work on my system, with one Prime95 running in Core0 and the other running in Core1 the only way they use each core at max is with Large FFTs test, which is quite stressfull; using the default test and both cores aren't used at max. Is this the way you run dual Prime95? If not how do you do it?

anyone have any results on opteron 175 with CCBWE 0541 RPMW stepping?

Give me a couple of weeks :tooth:

With a psu that couldn't deliver enough power to everything in my system, my 175 was able to run at 2.75 ghz 1.55v, dual Prime95 stable for at least 2 hours. I am sure the vcore could be lower since I was increasing it because there weren't any amps left from the psu.

Now that I have stablized my 170 2.75Ghz @ 1.5V (instead of 1.55V), my priming load temps have dropped 5C (45C max) and idle temps have dropped under 30C. Before, I had to turn up my WC fans to dissipate the extra heat.

Dropping the Vcore has really reduced the amount of heat generated. When Priming for 4hrs+, I can set my fans on moderate 1700rpms which is not annoying.

Totally amazed

cjoe

very similar to what i have. i'm stuck at 2.77 ghz at 1.58 V. using my SUPER powerful 430W antec psu *cries and sobs*. thinking of getting one of them ocz psu's any pros/cons on those?

Hmm, tricky to think about the PC Power & Cooling... it all depends on what are your plans for your hardware: would you keep using only one video card? What about using two in the future? What about overclocking them and the cpu at the same time?

Nzone says that for a system like this one, one with two 512mb video cards in SLI (which is what overclocked ones use), a PSU that can deliver 22 amps for the video cards ALONE is needed; 34 amps, maybe higher depending on the rest of your hardware. For something like this there is only one option, and I am looking at it to get one right now... the one joek71 mentioned.

However if your hardware will always consist on a single video card, then I guess the OCZ or maybe the FSP Group 600w or 700w would be ideal for your needs. The FSP 700w one is #1 on my list, but the PC P & C 850 can give me peace of mind that I need... don't know what to do :(

Go to Pc power & cooling and there is a config thing that tells you what psu you will need depending on you build, my 510 can handle dual vid cards and alot more. there is also a knobs that you can buy seperatly and mod the volts.

Go here and it will build depending on what you have.

Great thing.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/pow...plies/selector/

LOL, no matter what I tell it I have in my system... it always tells me the 510 is right for me :rolleyes:

I think it might be just right... I need at least 34 amps. Btw, whats the output on this one? I read the power output is 510 with a max of 650, what is that translated in amps?