unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In any case, since you get a chip with 2.2 GHz guaranteed speed you can be certain to be able to game well even if you totally lose on the overclock. If you get a 165 and lose you can be stuck with 1.8 GHz which would suck.
That was my logic for getting the 175, not to mention the higher multi. I should have my second one on Monday so we'll see how that one goes.

That's a good one (stepping wise). It'll prolly sell for a good chunk. I personally would have a problem buying a used processor like the Opty that you know someone bought to specifically overclock. Who knows how many volts were cranked through that sucker. Just because it boots, doesn't mean it's healthy ;) If you can get it for the current price of ~250...that's a different story :rolleyes:

Well, I'd rather pay the same amount of money for a known stepping used than for a new processor with unkown stepping.

In this case however the guy didn't give any SuperPi, much less Prime95 shots.

The guy has a lot of private auctions on his feedback, wonder what's up with that.

This is not the best stepping, however, in fact there is a guy at XS who says his 0530TPMW is a POS but others were 2.8 GHz and above dual prime stable.

Is anyone installing the AMD x2 dual core patch for xp of the MS hotfix? I know when I run prime95 or Sp 2004 and set the affinity in the program for each core when I look at windows task manager it still show prime running on both cpus. I have to manually disable one core each time.

I bought the Zalman 9500 based largely on good experiences with prior Zalman coolers. Also, I care how my system looks, and some of the best coolers look like a Nazi-era public housing experiment.

I was blended Prime stable (w/ memory allocated at 350meg per side) for over nine hours at 300 x 9. My average CPU temp was about 49 however, and I dunno if I want to see that kind of temps on a regular basis.