unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dual-core Opterons I have seen don't do much at stock voltage. But they really rewards higher voltage, much more so than my single-core Opter0wnz.

My bet is on 2380 MHz dual SuperPi 32M.

Thanks. Do you know how that compares to what an x2 3800+ will do at stock voltage? I'm new to overclocking so I don't really want to mess with the vcore.

If anyone has more information here, I would love to hear of it. I have only been able to run a single instance; seperate folders still would not allow me to run two at once (although maybe I did something dumb). Unfortunately, I found that the single instance did not stress both my cores. I love the graphs at the end, but they are not meaningful unless both cores are loaded. So... if anyone knows the solution here please let me know! Does anyone think that priming one core while OCCTing the other would yield meaningful OCCT results?

Back on topic: my 175 0530 did 2.85GHz prime stable at stock voltage on air :D . I was extremely lucky getting this chip, however, and can't recall seeing a stronger one. Learned my lesson with A64's and I got in the game real early.

With your 165, I would suggest that you could very consevatively up your Vcore to 1.45v (less than 10% over stock) with no long term consequences, especially if you can keep your temps down. You may find that the difference in even a little more Vcore is fairly pronounced. Most of the newer 165's, as pointed out, need juice to get anywhere. If you absolutely must keep the Vcore down, you might want to consider researching a X2 3800 instead.

I posted this on the single core thread before I saw this thread:

I was finally able to get my 175 (stepping CCBWE 0541) stable at 2700 @ 1.45v x 110%. I guess it's stabilizing. I didn't take any screen shots yet because I'm seeing if it will be stable @ 1.4v x 113%. I'd like to get the volts down a little. I also finally cracked the 8000 mark on 3DMark05. :cool:

Also - FYI, I paused my folding @ home to run 3DMARK05 (just to see if it would run) and I kept getting unusual error codes and it wouldn't run. There wasn't much info on the web but I finally figured out it was because I had the folding app open. Weird, but FYI for those using F@H.

i don't want to interupt the flow of this thread, but this is as good a place to ask as any. right now i have a winchester 3200+ @2.5G 1.63V. i was thinking of getting a 4400+X2, but reading how they don't really OC well, i thought about Opty's. looking at them on newegg, i'd probably go with the 175 denmark.

my question is: i am a gamer at heart and that's what i use my comp for 99% of the time. fear, hl2, q4, high end games like that. i asked a friend of mine if it'd be a good proc for me, but he said that opty's are naturally server processors and may lack instructions for 3d apps and games. is this true? or could i game away on this?

finally, another question is, would there be a benefit getting the 4400+ as opposed to this 175?

thanks for your help guys.

PS, i'm all about taking the IHS off if it'll help me get close to 3.0 on air. i have XP-90 for cooler, but am thinking of getting a Big Typhoon for a cpu upgrade, anyone else use this cooler with an opty?

i asked a friend of mine if it'd be a good proc for me, but he said that opty's are naturally server processors and may lack instructions for 3d apps and games. is this true? or could i game away on this?

This is plain and simple rubbish.

finally, another question is, would there be a benefit getting the 4400+ as opposed to this 175?

thanks for your help guys.

PS, i'm all about taking the IHS off if it'll help me get close to 3.0 on air. i have XP-90 for cooler, but am thinking of getting a Big Typhoon for a cpu upgrade, anyone else use this cooler with an opty?

While there is no guarantee that you get a good clocking DC Opteron the chance that a random DC Opteron overclock better than a random 4400+ is about 90%.

Also, if you are willing to spend the $500 on the 175 the chances for a good overclocker are higher than average, as more (usually better) older weeks are floating around the warehouses than of the faster selling cheaper chips.

I use a BT on my 175. Works well but is about borderline with the processor at 1.6 V.

ok, thanks for the info, i guess i'd just be worried that if i get it, i can only get it up to 2.5 or 2.6, which isn't much better than what i have now. i know dc is better, but games only use one. of course i realize the extra L2 cache is an improvement also.

Egg has it OEM for 475... i think that's the one i'd get. is it pretty much a guarantee that i'd get a better OC with the IHS off?

ok, thanks for the info, i guess i'd just be worried that if i get it, i can only get it up to 2.5 or 2.6, which isn't much better than what i have now. i know dc is better, but games only use one. of course i realize the extra L2 cache is an improvement also.

Egg has it OEM for 475... i think that's the one i'd get. is it pretty much a guarantee that i'd get a better OC with the IHS off?

The bigger cache is almost useless. That's why I tell people to get a 4600+ instead of a 4400+ if they want a X2.

Some games, Doom3 and Quake4 among them, actually make use of two cores, so it is less wasted than you think.

I would say that this 175 is the best chance to get a good clocking chip short of following all the Opteron threads on 5 forums and snipe when somebody reports to have gotten a good one (and then you can still lose).

In any case, since you get a chip with 2.2 GHz guaranteed speed you can be certain to be able to game well even if you totally lose on the overclock. If you get a 165 and lose you can be stuck with 1.8 GHz which would suck.