unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody have a Opty 165 (CCBWE 0534SPMW)/DFI NF4 Ultra and is using OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K (1 GB x 2)?

I should be getting my board on Monday and would like to know what kind of settings I should start with. My goal is to get to 2.5 and anything else after that would be gravy.

I also have the same stepping and week. Using the LP Ultra-D, but different RAM, Mushy CH-5. Right now I'm working on a different 165. It is

CCBWE 0541RPMW

So far It looks like my max is about 2600 or so. The interesting thing is that my RAM which maxed out at 225 with 22268 timings on my Venice 3200, is now 5 hours into memtest STD test suite at 245 with the same timings!

I guess this may be evidence of the supposedly superior Opteron Memory Controller. All hardware is identical, I just swapped chips, and cleared the CMOS. Same BIOS.

I hope in a day or so I'll swap to the other 165 and see what I get. I'm sure spending more time would yield better results but I am NOT complaining. BTW this is on air and I have no interest in messing with the IHS so I left it on. I've had no trouble with temps, but I do have trouble convincing myself to go past 1.45 vCore.

PS I'm selling my venice and one of the two 165s as soon as I decide whcih to keep. I'll post my results!

om

Anybody have a Opty 165 (CCBWE 0534SPMW)/DFI NF4 Ultra and is using OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K (1 GB x 2)?

I should be getting my board on Monday and would like to know what kind of settings I should start with. My goal is to get to 2.5 and anything else after that would be gravy.

Im not sure what stepping my 165 opty is, but im using that platinum 1GBx2 ocz ram kit, and its working fine. Should work great with all steppings of the 165 opteron, I see no reason it wouldnt.

I'm also thinking about moving to dual core. I like my E6 Venice but when It comes to encoding videos, the software uses 100% of my CPU and it becomes not usable (or extremely slow). So I'm wondering if Opty 165 would be a good solution to my problem ???

just wanted to cross post over here

be careful with high vcore on the dual cores as at load you may see up to 0.1V less in CPUZ/smart guardian than true voltage

also be careful of high vdimm with low vcore as it was also brought up by BigToe (OCZ Tony, originator of the 704-2BTA BIOS) that one should not use high vdimm with very low vcore as it can fry processors

vcore and vdimm

Here are some initial results regarding Vcore:

BIOS VID setting: 1.45*1.10 = 1.595V

BIOS reported Vcore: 1.570V

BIOS measured Vcore: 1.616V

CPUZ load/idle VCORE: 1.552V

Windows idle measured Vcore: 1.609V

Windows load measured Vcore: 1.659V

It is this last reading that is especially troublesome - we all know these boards undervolt w.r.t. monitoring, but this massive .05V jump under load does not manifest itself under any software monitoring program I've tried (CPUZ, MBM, SpeedFan, OCCT...)! I'm so glad I happened to decide to finally check out the nF4 voltages (only had it like 2 weeks) while priming!!!

More info to come.

Multimeter borrowed from Electrical Engineering friend, so it's known to be solid. Craftsman Professional #82325.

Here are some more results similar to initial reports. Additionally, as per Soundx98's request, you can see that the VID multipliers are not terribly accurate. Each row below should be very similar since they are all very near 1.5V. This does not pan out, however.

vcore1153az.png

I think the moral of the story is simply to exercise caution. My chip told me it was running high before I measured it; I would have not gone higher even if I didn't have this data. But please know that your load voltages may be significantly higher than what CPUZ tells you, perhaps even more than previously reported. I would love to know if anyone can confirm/reject these readings on their own rigs. A thought I recently had is that Opterons, known to clock well at low voltage, may not be doing so in reality! We could just be getting a phantom Vcore boost while testing stability! I believe the IRS calls this unreported income - and the penalty is high if you get caught.

Again, let me know if anyone can reproduce any of this data.

Thanks.

dual core 175

Bios 1.35 X 110%

CPUZ 1.424

idle DMM 1.493

dual p95 1.524

i know

i was upping the V so darn carefully

each increment i tried to only go up to .1v

and i understand my in bios itll say 1.42 , mbm says 1.4 ( thats why i label it +.02) and sometimes its just wrong.

like bios can say 1.42 and cpuz says 1.35

wanna trade CPUs.... HAHHA