PSU Brands to Avoid!

davidhammock200

I don't know what you are talking about with the Antecs, the Smartpower 2.0 500W is great, both of mine are good (I thought one was bad but it turned out it was just a short in a wire so I have an extra one about three feet away in perfect condition.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ie: if it is on this list, it isn't worthy to power a DFI system

period

Exactly

High performance motherboard require high performance hardware... and the powersupply is one of the most important parts of the system; if the motherboard costs $175+ dlls, why use a less quality PSU?

The Epsilon 600w is nearly identical to the 700w, only diference is the output of all 4 rails combined... which for real world will only matter if you overclock to the max and have hardware beyond normal specs: dual core, two 512mb cards, a ton of fans/hdd/cd/dvd-rw. The 600w model cost less and could be a less expensive option.

That's great information, thank you.

I don't know what you are talking about with the Antecs, the Smartpower 2.0 500W is great, both of mine are good (I thought one was bad but it turned out it was just a short in a wire so I have an extra one about three feet away in perfect condition.

as I said, it might work for you

but the combined experience of this forum + official tech support = they aren't quality power supplies for our high-end systems.

period

you can choose to rail against this and argue away, or you can accept that as the admin of this forum with 20,000+ users, and as the guy who sees all the support emails and hears about all the phone calls...that Antec psu's are not worthy of being on our Recommended list because of too many problems users have had when trying to couple them with our motherboards.

In no way have I said Antec makes bad psu's

I am only saying that Antec psu's are not recommended for our Infinity/Lanparty motherboards because of the problems we have faced that have went away when switching to a recommended psu.

• 5 weeks later...

I must be lucky, the PSU in my sig had a very large discount and upon multimeter reading and using SmartFan afterward, all the volts had a nice fluctuation of about 0.01 every hour or so... If that's not stable, then man, my PSU must REALLY suck...

Under load it flucuates every few minutes by 0.01 and I'm Prime95 set... I guess I got lucky...

If what you're saying is true and my PSU turns to crap [or worse, though over time I can say my comp seems relatively cool and safe...] I think I'll have to take a look at the GameXtream by OCZ... 600W is fine, I don't need SLi though since none of my passively cooled sexy Gigabyte Silentpipe IIs need their own PSU plug

Yay for lower electric bill!

Ad sweex for european people.

http://www.sweexeurope.com/product.asp?pId=494

25 euro for a pc case and power supply for 350 watt.

* Switched power supply

* 110/220 V switchable (110 V: 7 Amp/ 220 V: 4 Amp)

* + 3.3 V : 14 Amp

* + 5 V : 30 Amp

* + 12 V : 12 Amp

* Max. 150 Watt

* -5 V : 0.5 Amp

* -12 V : 0.8 Amp

* - 5 Vsb: 2 Amp

* Maximum power: 350 Watt

* CE

I should have mentioned, this was kind of the wrong forum to ask, it really should have gone to the xtremeoverclocking.com forums or similar since it's not DFI related. But I didn't have an account there and couldn't. It's for a new fairly low end system I'm setting up for someone (A64 3200+, Asus 430+6150 mobo, 2x512mb DDR2, HD, potentially optical drive) so the power requirements aren't that high. Was mainly worried about the quality of the PSU since I'm on a PSU craze at the moments as I've had them blow up (well not literally) although thankfully no components have been taken out.

Anyway thanks for the response

PSU? I got something here.....

Don't get fooled by the fancy, flashy, and exoutic looks in the PSU. Look into the quality, rail voltages, but always do your research as well.

-PC POWER & COOLING

-OCZ

-FPS

:)