horrible overclock, 4400+ not worth money!

noktekniq

Any particular reason with the 10 multiplier on the CPU ? im positive that my problem is with the memory ... i managed to get to 2.5Ghz stable with a divider on the memory .. but the temp under load goes up to 55C .. so, not gonna stick it up there .. wont even dare to go higher ... the cpu seems ok .. not the memory. 2.42Ghz is ok ... but again, ambient temp here is at 32C .. heat index around 36C-38C .. anybody knows how to calculate Delta T (or its estimation) for XP120 Heatsink ? ... or should I go with watercooling ? .. but i dont think it'll go lower than the ambient temps rite ?

Im looking at 3 watercooling products at the moment:-

1) Swiftech H20-Apex extreme

2) Zalman Reserator 1 Plus

3) TT Bigwater SE (cheap)

Advise anybody ? .... would love to get my X2-4400+ to 2.6GHz .. yet again my memory could be the limiting factor.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ dfx - You'd better make yourself a sig beforew the sig police find you ;)

did you read the rules when you joined?

we'd all like to know the parts you have ;)

@divinemisfire i would not buy the cheap kit, or the reserator

i've read of people needing to buy extra radiators and fans to keep their stuff cool in warm weather with the reserator

@dfx ... hey, thats true .. wheres ur sig :)

yupp .. thats what i heard with reserator(not oc friendly .. especially here) .... Danger Den stuff and swiftech is on the higher side .. plus i have to get it thru the net ... extra shipping cost for me. TT comes with such a small tube and a tiny pump plus a lot of people hated their cooling products. I have a good airflow in my case ... im just not satisfied.

@ dfx - You'd better make yourself a sig beforew the sig police find you ;)

did you read the rules when you joined?

we'd all like to know the parts you have ;)

Huh! Pardon me :D

Havent been doing much reading here for the pass 8 months :)

Since this is an x2 thread does anyone think x2's rule or not? Will they better than single cores for games any time soon? Will games ever reach the point where an x2 is twice as good as a single core because right now they are twice the money of an equivalent clocked single? If I'm going to game hardcore I usually do a fresh reboot and run nothing else so multitasking isn't much of a bonus.

sidenote on the ram trick thing.....I don't know if you normally use it AG but dynamic idle cycle counter enabled gives a nice performance boost. I know you don't pi much but it shaves some time off and helps latency.

Since this is an x2 thread does anyone think x2's rule or not? Will they better than single cores for games any time soon? Will games ever reach the point where an x2 is twice as good as a single core because right now they are twice the money of an equivalent clocked single? If I'm going to game hardcore I usually do a fresh reboot and run nothing else so multitasking isn't much of a bonus.

There will be a lot of BWCing (bitching whining complaining) before games can make full use of SMP.

Right now most (all?) game engines are written around an event loop that makes no use of SMP. It is about the opposite of a threaded design and they are very difficult to convert.

Worse, when games switch to a threaded design there will be coding errors resulting in deadlocks or other synchronization problems. Problems you never have with synchronous event loops, so game developers are usually not used to deal with them. If you have a game with synchronization problems, those with multiple processors/cores are the first to see them.

You will see some minor speedup from 3D drivers running on the different CPU or multithreaded 3D drivers, but that won't account for more than a few percent for CPU-intensive games.

I'm seeing folks report big increases in games with 81.84 drivers. One guy said 17% more fps in farcry. I think the combo of the ms patch and new drivers may turn up something. This is after I order a single core of course.