horrible overclock, 4400+ not worth money!

noktekniq

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on that subject, i just burned out my first TEC...

i plugged it in to see the hot side/cold side but apparently leaving it in for 3secs is FAR too long if you dont have a heatsink on it! but i couldnt put a heatsink on it since i didnt know which side.

you are supposed to plug in one end and BRUSH the other to give it power for like half a second... this, i did not know...

oh well, only $10, what pisses me off is waiting for another one in the mail...

Wow, i heard that a few seconds would be okay...I'll have keep that in mind. Could probaby just sandwich it between two icecubes while testing it. As soon as one melts you can unplug it and it should be okay.

yeah, so did i... im glad im telling you this, because you wont have to spend an extra week and an extra $10 on this little project...

heres the whole story:

i open up the boxes and stuff for my extra psu (the x-connect 500w PSU is a GREAT extra/external PSU becasue its cheap ($20 shipped), modular (so theres not a millino wires), and pretty!). anyway, it took me a while to get it turning on without a motherboard, i figured i could jump the power pins directly on teh PSU, but that doesnt work.. you have to have the 10x2 cable plugged in and jump the end. i STILL dont know why this is... but at least its only 1 extra cable.

anyway, so i hook it up, and power up the PSU. it makes a weird beeping noise but i guess its just because its the first time i turned it on or something so i turn it back off. pad is still room-temp. turn the PSU back on, and it starts up nicely. WOW it is quiet (i used to own one of these in my old computer, loved it, not the most reliable in the world but still). so after i turn it on, takes me about 1sec to register that it is on, i move my hands over to the TEC. pick it up. it burns me, BADLY. i turned off the PSU. at this point, i am very afraid of a serious fire, i am doing this experiment on my bed and sheets are flammable. i try to desperately get it off my bed and unplugged, but this thing is SO HOT. remember, this has been plugged in and powered for less than 3 SECONDS. well i waited a few mins and it finally cooled down, i was ready to try again, this time not leaving it plugged in but i would connect it momentarily. now i cant even get it to heat up. first i thought well it takes a while, but then i was like NO wait a second i just got burned by the thing. well, after posting on the AMD forums and lots of cursing, i decided i blew it, and eventually ordered another.

thing is this is my fall break, this was supposed to be what i was going to do during it. now i have to balance all this crap between classes and tests because by the time the next one comes it will be over.

EDIT and as far as the ice cubes i dont think id do that i mean this is electricity+water i would just avoid it, if anything sandwich between two heatsinks and see if you can determine which one is absorbing the heat. but im going to put it between my fingers and put one end in and take the other and and QUICKLY touch it against the voltage line next time.

well, at least this thing wasnt connected to anything...

i'll tell you this...I had an X2 4400+ before anyone here had an X2...and it has NEVER went over 2650Mhz stable...

Rgone taught me a little trick with some 2GB kit of memory that has now just passed 10.5h of Prime95 on both cores @ 2750Mhz...so I'm beginning to believe that you just have to keep messing with stuff...

i'll tell you this...I had an X2 4400+ before anyone here had an X2...and it has NEVER went over 2650Mhz stable...

Rgone taught me a little trick with some 2GB kit of memory that has now just passed 10.5h of Prime95 on both cores @ 2750Mhz...so I'm beginning to believe that you just have to keep messing with stuff...

what little trick? and does it only apply for 2gb ram?

is it necessary to watercooled the cpu for better results at lower voltage ? Cant even get mine to pass 2.42GHz with air and 1.375VCore. I can only pass my 2.42GHz with prime95 stable@24hours with VCore at 1.43V and DRam@3V. Thats rather high for a 200mhz overclock i'd say.