Would 460W be enough for NF4 Ultra-D (no SLI)?

Alex Dinamo

Hello guys, here I come again with a question, this time about a PSU for my upcoming rig. The Vantec iON 2 460W PSU looks very attractive since I'm on a budget, but I'm not sure if it will be enough power for the UT NF4 Ultra-D...

Maybe, since I'm not using SLI i might go with less than the 480W absolute minimum I read for the SLI MoBo...

Oh, yes: I will have two or three SATA disks max.

Thanks,

Alex

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the OCZ Modstream 450W with no problems and I overclock to the max. What's very important is that the peak watts for the OCZ is 550W as opposed to 460W for the Vantec. The OCZ is $10 more (but it includes FREE shipping) at:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/m...6&AFFIL=dt&NR=1

The OCZ also has modular power connections which helps you make a neat inner case. And it's very quiet ...

Ok... seems like 460W won't cut it. I got it. I will had to go for the expensive Vantec 520A Stealth (520W).

The problem is that here in Mexico I don't have many options. TX is close, but it is troublesome to go there and bring the equipment.

Anyway, if someone knows about a good place in McAllen or Laredo for computer parts, let me know...

Thanks,

Alex

AS I TOLD YOU BEFORE

YOU DO NOT TELL USERS HERE THAT YOU CAN GET BY WITH A POWER SUPPLY THAT DOES NOT MEET MINIMUM SPECS.

PERIOD.

IF I CATCH ANYONE DOING IT IN THE FUTURE, IT WILL BE AN INSTANT BAN.

END OF STORY.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

you guys had better start heeding the warnings we have given you about this for about 5 or 6 months.

it will NOT be tolerated.

you MUST have a 480w 24-pin native power supply for our NF4 motherboards.

period.

end of story.

no arguments.

If you can't handle it, get a different brand of motherboard.

So games, you're saying DFI's motherboards require more than 200 watts of power? Wow, this is a big surprise to me :eek2: Well this isn't making sense to me, you provide support for users with lets say $30 600 watt psu's, but not a $90 420 watt power stream??

No, and the reason why is because both of those PSU's you just mentioned could not provide a stable environment for the DFI NF4 motherboards.

I've just had to learn this as I have a 480W Antec Truepower with a 20-pin connector. The motherboard just draw too much voltage for anything other than 480W's.

Now, the +12 rails still matter too, you can have a strong (rated) PSU with weak rails and it's gonna take a dump when you hook it up.

PSU under the 'recommended' rating that DFI has specified will disappoint you when you overclock which face it, most people that buy DFI boards do. They attribute greatly to why people with weak PSU's under the recommended spec cannot overclock or find that when they do, it poops out...

Understand?

It's a tough issue. Do the DFI MB's *need* more than 480W? Of course not. My X2 3800+ is chugging away happily at 2800MHz (that's dual cores, Core Priming overnight plus a SCSI controller, a 15K SCSI drive, a water pump, and some high RPM fans on the radiator and throughout the case) though I'm not much of a gamer so my video card is only an X700 Pro which is plenty for me for some occassional HL2. And my PSU is (gasp) a SeaSonic 380W!

*However*, the reason I understand DFI has gotten so adament about PSU ratings is that some smaller PSU's work, many do not. They're just playing the odds here, folks. $30 500 Watt PSU's obviously won't work either. DFI wants you to get a good quality PSU with a nice high wattage (and good rails). That's the best position for them to take because it gives you the best chance for success.

Think of it like Ferrari's recommendations for tires. Could you find some inexpensive tires to put on? Sure? Do they recommend high-end tires to minimize problems? Of course.