What's faster - single 10,000rpm Raptor or 2 7200rpm Caviars in Raid 0

kelleybp

What's faster - single 10,000rpm Raptor or 2 7200rpm Caviars w/ 8MB cache in Raid 0 (all SATA drives)? Just curious if anyone knows...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anandtech.com did some raid 0 testing on 2 raptors and that showed no performance gains in workstation environment over a single raptor; so my guess the single raptor is faster than two caviars. Do you care for the 10k whine?

anandtech.com did some raid 0 testing on 2 raptors and that showed no performance gains in workstation environment over a single raptor; so my guess the single raptor is faster than two caviars. Do you care for the 10k whine?

Benchmarks are further and further from the real world every day. Look at the benchmark and campair stickie in the misc section. Personaly I would get 2 hitachi drives or better yet 4 but only if you get serious about backing up your vital info.

they had benchmarks, but also timed loading for different games and boot times. There was difference in the benchmarks, but no difference in the real world.

I tend to agree with them - the whole striping thing must be very well thought out and tweeked to use (like server db access). It's just not a general purpose thing like overclocking.

Two 7200rpm drives is faster than a single raptor in most things, and cheaper.

2 7200 drives Cheaper than raptor 10k yes faster no, not in the "real-world" of home user/gamer. Sorry not gonna happen.

now, I use WD Raptor for my boot drive,many of you recommend me to boot from WDRaptor 10.000rpm,

but in my test using HD Tach 3 shows that 2x160GB Hitachi Desktar T7K250 7200rpm faster then single 74GB WD Raptor 10.000rpm, when I work with MS Excel, I save my work/document faster when I use 2x160GB Hitachi (raid0) compare with single WD Raptor( is this call real world ? ) , so please tell me more, is the bench not accurate ?