NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures

Hi,

Just checking this post, was searching for info on a DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D non-SLI setup I built for a buddy...

Didn't have much time to get it up and running, no o/c, xp3000 64 cpu, 6600gt video.

Only connected the 2 regular power lines (not floppy or molex), never thought about it, figured they must be for high current demand setups or such...

Got beeps when trying to post in DC mode with ocz pc3200rev2 ram 2x512.

Put themn in single channel mode, booted and ran... system hasn't been stable despite running prime 95 (once) for several hours w/o errors...

Read this string today, went to buddies house and plugged in the other 2 connectors, booted in DC mode, he'll try loading and running rome total war, which wouldn't load to date w/o blue screen...

Ho[pefully it wil be stable now, will post again if not...

Thanks for the is string!! I've been working day and night renovating an old apt building, no time to do much researching or even thonking about that board, just thought this am to check this forum for known issues/tips.

So, that is what can happen when you don't connect all power leads.

cheers,

Mike

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angry games wrote:

"7. Next, plug in ALL FOUR power connectors to the board. You must have a 24-pin power supply with a minimum of 480w of power. Plug in the 24-pin main power connector, then the 4-pin 12v secondary connector.

Then plug in the 4-pin molex connection and the 4-pin floppy connection. There is only one way these connections will go into the board!"

Somehow I did not find the last two connections

"4-pin molex connection and the 4-pin floppy connection"

with the Smartpower 500w PSU which I am building.

A the brand new floppy-drive came without this cable.

The DFI Ultra-D motherboard did neither include this "special" cable.

Can anyone help me out?

Is it available in most pc-stores?

How does it exactly look like, and what name has it?

(Sorry if I have missed the answer in this long thread.)

from

Khidr

Angry games wrote:

"7. Next, plug in ALL FOUR power connectors to the board. You must have a 24-pin power supply with a minimum of 480w of power. Plug in the 24-pin main power connector, then the 4-pin 12v secondary connector.

Then plug in the 4-pin molex connection and the 4-pin floppy connection. There is only one way these connections will go into the board!"

Somehow I did not find the last two connections

"4-pin molex connection and the 4-pin floppy connection"

with the Smartpower 500w PSU which I am building.

A the brand new floppy-drive came without this cable.

The DFI Ultra-D motherboard did neither include this "special" cable.

Can anyone help me out?

Is it available in most pc-stores?

How does it exactly look like, and what name has it?

(Sorry if I have missed the answer in this long thread.)

from

Khidr

NF4_build-8.jpg

Yes, I have seen the above picture before.

Good work Angry Games !

Allright I am new at this forum.

Maybe I did not ask politely enough, or my english is bad.

Or perhaps I should start a new thread elsewhere.

But I will give it one more go - before I start considering a new company to by Motherboards from.

Page 61 in the online English Manual from DFI on Lanparty NF4 - Ultra-D says

"The HDD-type and FDD-type power connectors are additional

power connectors. If you are using two graphics cards, we

recommend that you plug power cables from your power supply

unit into the two 5V/12V power connectors. This will provide more

stability to the entire system. The system board will still work even if

the additional power connectors are not connected."

This manual is appearntly - today - not quite up-to-date, if I understand Angry Games well enough.

I would though still like to know, if the cable can be bought in most pc-stores

or if it is a special cable ? Perhaps a DFI cable ?

Is it an ordinary - Y - cable ?

Is this cable conneting itself to the floppy-drive or only to the PSU?

from

Khidr

most psu's have 2 floppy connectors. Some only have a single one (like the Fortron Bluestorm 500w psu)

you can get 'adapters' like this:

svcompucycle_1869_51562196

http://www.svc.com/fcs5-08.html

these adapters should be available from many places in EU like they are in USA

I'm actually not sure exactly what you are asking. the cables come from the psu, usually 2x 4-pin molex + 4-pin floppy, and most psu's have 2x of these lines coming from it.

you should include the power supply you plan on using in your sig also so we can direct you in the right way if the psu you plan to use does not meet minimum specs for the DFI NF4 board.

CompUSA has one that is Molex split to 2 FDD plugs. It looks like any other power splitter. Some may be Molex split to 1 FDD and 1 Molex and others could be Molex to a single FDD with no split. These are also available at Newegg.

Thanks Angry Games!

You answered my question.

Sorry about not mentioning the build.

I am building the following on a budget to a friend of mine:

Antec TX1050B (with 500w Smartpower)

DFI NF4 Lanparty Ultra-D

2x512mb Kingston Value Ram

Ati X800XL IceQ II Turbo

Venice 3000+ with AS5, Thermalright xp-90 + 92mm Papst fan

Maxtor Diamond Sata 150, - 200gb

Dvd drive

Cd-rom drive

Disk drive

But thanks.

Your answer was very helpful.

from

Khidr

Hi,

Just checking this post, was searching for info on a DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D non-SLI setup I built for a buddy...

Didn't have much time to get it up and running, no o/c, xp3000 64 cpu, 6600gt video.

Only connected the 2 regular power lines (not floppy or molex), never thought about it, figured they must be for high current demand setups or such...

Got beeps when trying to post in DC mode with ocz pc3200rev2 ram 2x512.

Put themn in single channel mode, booted and ran... system hasn't been stable despite running prime 95 (once) for several hours w/o errors...

Read this string today, went to buddies house and plugged in the other 2 connectors, booted in DC mode, he'll try loading and running rome total war, which wouldn't load to date w/o blue screen...

Ho[pefully it wil be stable now, will post again if not...

Thanks for the is string!! I've been working day and night renovating an old apt building, no time to do much researching or even thonking about that board, just thought this am to check this forum for known issues/tips.

So, that is what can happen when you don't connect all power leads.

cheers,

Mike

Spoke too soon, DC operation, though it now booted, was very unstable and had to be set back to non-DC. RMAing the board...

Mike

OK. I had to thank Angry_Games and Co. for this post. I used it step-by-step for my most recent build, and I am sure that doing so helped me avoid potential problems.

Going step-by-step made me confident that each piece of hardware that I had on the mobo at the time of booting was working.

Also, thanks to Sharp for a great guide on BIOS flashing which I used to help take me up through Windows installation.

I kinda had to figger out RAID on my own, but since I had done a RAID 0 on my other PC recently, it was pretty intuitive. However, it is much more comforting for a relative novice (only 3 PCs built in the past 3 years) to have a step-by-step guide that comes from someone much, much, MUCH more experienced.

Hi,

I'm new here and putting together a system with the DFI LANParty UT NF4 ULTRA-D. I want to use 3 monitors. I'm getting an ATI X550 256 MEG (unless someone can suggest a mcuh better card for a bit more) and have a ATI Radeon 7500. Will this work for 3 monitors or do you have to have 2 PCI-e cards for this?

Thanks

Hey, new guy here. Awesome thread and great site! I've been reading stuff on here for a long time and decided to join now that my new water-cooled DFI rig is up and running. This is the first system I've built from scratch and it turned out quite nice. The water cooling really helped, I dropped 20-25 degrees off the full load temps. Anyways, here's some pics you can peruse at your liesure: Click for pic directory Let me know what you think.

The specs:

-Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case

-DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR MB

-Antec True-control II 550w PS

-AMD Athlon 4000+ San Diego

-2x512 OCZ Platinum Elite PC4800

-EVGA 7800GTX

-74GB Raptor primary

-250GB Western Digital SATA secondary

-Swiftech H2O-220 Apex Ultra water cooling kit

-waterblocks:

CPU-Swiftech storm

VGA-Swiftech MCW55

chipset-Koolance GPU-180-H06

As you can see I integrated the cooling system into the cart the computer sits on. It was a heck of alot easier and cleaner than stuffing everything into the case. I also made some custom distribution blocks to send the coolant to the various components. I've got 3 different sizes of tubing in there so just daisy chaning everything together was out of the question. This way is much cleaner and more efficient anyways.

I'm working on the overclock now. The RAM and video card went easy but the CPU is fighting me every step of the way, I cant even get 2.6GHz stable! :( I'll keep plugging away at it and post some benchmarks once it's stable