NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that I came across when building this system...

Most PSUs, including the one used in this thread, only have 1 4pin floppy power connector. I'd love to see an adapter included in the MB kit.

As I have an SATA drive, I need the floppy for installing windows. After I installed the OS, I removed the power from the floppy and attached it to the MB. I'll be picking up an adapter at a later date (not something you can run to CompUSA and pick up) for those incredibly rare times when I am forced to use that archaic storage device! :)

- Sumptin

Their ModStream does not.

As for the Powerstream, I certainly believe you as it appears you own one. A full list of connectors isn't included in either thier product spec manual or their tech spec manual. As it doesn't list having two, I assumed it did not as none of the pictures depict it to ;)

Edit: Perhaps this is something to note in the "A" list PSU thread.

yes i'll be adding to this as soon as I can...problem is that we've been ultra busy with Hurricane Katrina putting our mod ExRoadie out of commission for a few weeks, and Rgone himself was out for almost 2 weeks since he was in the middle of it also, on top of that many products to test, many customer boards that got sent to me (and more on the way) etc

but

I will get around to a FULL guide that adds on to this one

8. Next, plug in a single memory module into the orange DIMM slot closest to the edge of the motherboard: ???

I can see the benifit of limited hardware for first boot, but I am left with the question , do you have to remove the heatsink to fit the second RAM module?

Using Geil Ultra (BH5) will I go for the orange or yellow slot for that first RAM module as their seams to be differing opitions as to slot colours and type of RAM used?

A great guide :)

I can see the benifit of limited hardware for first boot, but I am left with the question , do you have to remove the heatsink to fit the second RAM module?

depends on your heatsink but with an XP-90 i never have to remove it to get memory into all the slots

BH-5 = you should use the yellow slots, but always start at stock speeds, using the orange slot closest to edge of the board...basically no matter what you are using, you always follow the build guide to get the board to boot up first to make sure it will actually boot.