3500+ how far can I go?

jmabe

Hi folks,

I'm a noob @ overclocking, the closest I did to this was using the auto overclock in the ASUS mobo with P4.

Anyway, I got a new system with the intention of overclocking. The system is in the bottom of this message.

I read alot about it, and then I went to the DFI Bios, changed the LDT multi to 3x, CPU multi to 11x (default), FSB going up until I could boot @ 240 FSB, stable, with max CPU temp 45C. I also tried the 10x 264 and it worked, wouldn't pass Memtest86 at 270 FSB though.

I also changed Vcore to 1.45+110%, or 1.55. And memory timings to 2.5-3-3-6, and voltage to 2.8.

The rest of the memory settings remained the optimized defaults of the Lanparty BIOS and so the rest of the Genie settings.

Now, I was wondering if there's an established limit for the 3500+. Because I could OC 20% on my old P4 with the auto OC feature, so if the limit is around this mark, it's pretty bad, and not really worth for me.

And last but not least, I might purchase a Big Typhoon CPU cooler and replace my Enermax with another 535w unit.

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong, or if I'm too close to the limit of the 3500+ already.

Thanks

My system:

AMD Athlon 3500+ (stock cooling)

DFI Lanparty UT nf4 Ultra-d

Crucial Ballistix 2x512mb DDR3200

XFX GF6800GT PCI-E

3 SATA HDs

Enermax 430w Power

4 Fan case cooling

Hi folks,

I'm a noob @ overclocking, the closest I did to this was using the auto overclock in the ASUS mobo with P4.

Anyway, I got a new system with the intention of overclocking. The system is in the bottom of this message.

I read alot about it, and then I went to the DFI Bios, changed the LDT multi to 3x, CPU multi to 11x (default), FSB going up until I could boot @ 240 FSB, stable, with max CPU temp 45C. I also tried the 10x 264 and it worked, wouldn't pass Memtest86 at 270 FSB though.

I also changed Vcore to 1.45+110%, or 1.55. And memory timings to 2.5-3-3-6, and voltage to 2.8.

The rest of the memory settings remained the optimized defaults of the Lanparty BIOS and so the rest of the Genie settings.

Now, I was wondering if there's an established limit for the 3500+. Because I could OC 20% on my old P4 with the auto OC feature, so if the limit is around this mark, it's pretty bad, and not really worth for me.

And last but not least, I might purchase a Big Typhoon CPU cooler and replace my Enermax with another 535w unit.

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong, or if I'm too close to the limit of the 3500+ already.

Thanks

My system:

AMD Athlon 3500+ (stock cooling)

DFI Lanparty UT nf4 Ultra-d

Crucial Ballistix 2x512mb DDR3200

XFX GF6800GT PCI-E

3 SATA HDs

Enermax 430w Power

4 Fan case cooling

DFI says you need at least a 480W psu with a native 24 pin connector.

The limit for your OCing depends on luck of the draw on the parts you have and how your cooling is working to a large degree. Look in the OC Database for some ideas of how people are doing with stable machines.

My 3500+ seemed to hit a wall at about 2700 - even with increased volts it wouldn't go above that, and wasn't all that stable even right around there. But it is rock solid at 2640 with default volts, so I'm happy.

Forceman,

What was the error message you got?

Or the system wouldn't even boot properly?

In mine, it passes DMI test, but fails after that. Says Windows couldn't find file XXXXX.sys and hangs...

And this happens alot here...

My 3500+ seemed to hit a wall at about 2700 - even with increased volts it wouldn't go above that, and wasn't all that stable even right around there. But it is rock solid at 2640 with default volts, so I'm happy.

same here dude.. My cpu doesnt like anything more then 2750 even with more voltage, and to even get it stable at 2750 i gotta run 1.7/1.73v.

Forceman,

What was the error message you got?

Or the system wouldn't even boot properly?

In mine, it passes DMI test, but fails after that. Says Windows couldn't find file XXXXX.sys and hangs...

And this happens alot here...

It would boot up okay, but would fail out on Prime pretty quickly. The not finding file xxxx from Windows sounds like a memory problem to me - that's what I usually see when the memory is pushed too far - either that or a reboot right after DMI with no message at all.

hmm, that's exactly what I'm getting...

memory problem may be solved by raising the voltages? I haven't gotten to 3.2 yet memory wise...

omg, i gotta wait my new psu and cooler =D

I don't know exactly for you, but before i take the DFI, i was having same wall at 2.7Ghz, black screen or reboot after post i have thinking this was the limit, error...

I put the voltage of my Newcastle at more 1.81-1.86, and get stable at 2.74-2.8Ghz. ( i can use setting like this 274x10, or 394x9) the voltage of my CPU is at 1.55 in stock. This make a big increase, i have no idea if the CPU take damage at this time. Only problem, for me it's my DDR:

I can't push the voltage at more of 3.0V, after the memtest give me errror, at same speed, if i increase the voltage. So i need stay under 230Mhz(460Mhz) and use asynchro settings. Strange, many peoples have get the 480-500Mhz with same DDR, just using the 3.1-3.2V. Hmm i change soon for plat. 4800.

This is with Newcastle amd winchester must do better.