MP3/Video player earphones

Coors

Looking at earphones but looking for opinions before I buy since audio is not my expertise. I remember hearing good things about Sennheiser CX300s I believe but also seen CX 275s which are $10 more. Whats the difference between them? Is there something else I should consider?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106623

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106247

I think I would prefer canal type earphones since the two sets that came with my phone and my media player are the slightly bigger type with foam around them and they kind of suck...that or my ears are deformed and don't hold those type of earphones very well. I also want to be able to fit my ear-pro over them while on military planes as well so big headsets are out of the question.

Get the CX-300IIs (or maybe not - as per edit)

I have gonetgrough multiple canal phones but for the last 6 years the 300IIs are the only ones I have liked. On to my second pair now going 2 years of heavy use strong. Last pair was 4 years strong. Says something bout the quality.

My other audio gear is extensive and expensive but these cheapish phones are my daily drivers with iPod or phone. Use them for full 8 hour workdays with no discomfort. Mind you I also have a clip I nicked from an old phone this means the phones stay in place so I can work very freely without my clothes snagging them from my ears.

Normally would say look around and try plenty but if you're already looking at them may as well share my experience.

Edit: just had a look and it looks like the CX-275s are part of a revamped CX lineup. Sure it has a nice mic and all but it also has higher spl and a larger dynamic range as well as good reviews from head-fi. I really wouldn't mind getting them for myself, would be good also to have a mic and headphones for my phone :lol:

On paper the 275 beats the 300II and I may just have found (finally) a replacement for my CX-300IIs haha

Edited by Stonerboy779

Get the CX-300IIs. Talking from my personal experience, 300IIs is awesome and I can't find any noticeable difference between 275 ans 300IIs.

Edit:Just went through the review of 275 at head-fi. And it seems like it is worth spending extra 10 bucks in 275.

Edited by d6bmg

I may just have found (finally) a replacement for my CX-300IIs haha

I wouldn't be too sure.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826558039

The CX series aren't that great. I have the Cx 150 that I got on sale to use with my schools library computers, and my sister has the CX 300II for music and they both seem like they are wayyyyyy over priced for what they are. The bass response is kind of low compared to some simple skull candy ear buds, and the highs are every so slightly harsh (however if you have an equalizer, you can simply turn the 7.5 Khz frequency down 1 to 2 decibels and you wouldn't notice harsh highs at all).

The good thing is that the sound stage is rather large (considering they are ear buds), and the mids are pretty clear. They are definitely light weight and are fairly comfortable. However that doesn't justify the 70 dollar price tag.

I have been looking around on head-fi.org and they too seem to have mixed reactions about the sub 100 dollar sennheiser ear buds as well, so I am not alone in my disappointment.

The only issue with my recommendation is I haven't had any experience with them. Ideally they should beat out the sennheisers because they seem to have a better bass response (or at least that is what I keep reading), and the reviews seem to say that it has a fairly balanced sound as long as you don't turn it up to max volume and blow your ear drums out.

In the end it is up to you. I would hope that someone on this sight can give you more insight to your decision.

I think I would prefer canal type earphones since the two sets that came with my phone and my media player are the slightly bigger type with foam around them and they kind of suck...that or my ears are deformed and don't hold those type of earphones very well. I also want to be able to fit my ear-pro over them while on military planes as well so big headsets are out of the question.

Have you had IEMs before? They are a completely different feeling than the standard bud type. I personally can't stand the way they feel and what may fit for 5 other people may not fit for you. I find them to be very frustrating to shop for. If you've never tried them before I would suggest a cheap pair and if you are ok with them, then go for a really nice pair. I find it nice having a cheap pair for travel and work that way I don't have to worry about damage or if they are stolen.

MEElectronic M9 - $16

Sound is great and so is the bass. Different fittings to help finding what sound you like and also to figure out which fits your ear best. The fitting could be better, but so far the best I've found for IEMs (granted I haven't tried too many as I found I don't like IEMs). The first pair the housing broke but they replaced them for free.

Honestly though, I prefer these Sony buds for work, travel and play. Its shape keeps them in my ears no problem, even laying down (my ultimate test as most things tend to slip out while laying down), and the sound is actually very good in relation to the money you pay. You don't miss too many of the beats. It catches more beats than my $100 Sennheiser's did. They don't fizzlepop like many cheap ear buds do. Only true negative, for the price, is there is litterally no bass.

Sony MDRE9LP - $9

Have you had IEMs before?

Pretty sure i've used a pair at some point. I think the ones on the Zune I used to have came with them. I pretty much need this kind though I think. My ears simply do not work well with this kind:

IMG_0815.jpg?t=1351569505

Getting them to stay put is like a monkey trying to . a coconut.:whoa: I ended up ordering the CX300s. Should be here tomorrow or the next day.

Getting them to stay put is like a monkey trying to . a coconut.:whoa: I ended up ordering the CX300s. Should be here tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks for sharing that image... :mellow:

Share your opinion on the CX300s when you get them. I'm guessing you got the silver ones since they were half the price on Amazon.com?