[Rant] Sometimes I don't know why I bother...

El_Capitan

Helped a co-worker a couple months ago, because his framerate was horrible with his R9 270X. Not only did he have a bad PSU (as in, a bad choice for a PSU), but he was using only a single 6-pin connector (when the card had two 6-pin connectors), and was using a molex to 6-pin PCIE adapter for it, and not the PCIE cable). Not only did I help him get it to work, but upgraded his R9 270X to a Gigabyte Windforce GHz edition HD 7970 for free in exchange for the R9 270X since he didn't want to bother returning it to get a refund minus the shipping and restocking fee costs.

Then, a few weeks ago, his computer wouldn't start, so he brought over his computer again, after asking me to help. I showed him how to troubleshoot his system, and it was his PSU that went bad. I replaced it with a good solid PSU for free and sent him on his way.

Now, a week ago, he had ordered a new PSU (the same PSU he already had that went bad), and replaced the PSU I gave him for free because it had a slightly noticeable fan noise. Reading up on the fact that the PSU that went bad had a very good warranty policy, he did change his mind on not sending it in for RMA, and sent it in for RMA. He was going to just toss the PSU. So, at least he learned something.

Anyways, after he replaced my good PSU with a new bad (as in, a bad choice for a PSU) PSU, his system went down again. Then he went to Microcenter to see what's wrong with it, and paid $40 (while I got nothing). Now he wants a new graphics card in the $200 range, and was looking to get the same R9 270X he already had.

:pfp:

I'm done.

Edited by El_Capitan

Sounds like that guy is stuck in his ways. Good lesson in never doing something for free, I guess.

Is he at least giving you back the PSU and GPU?

Nah, I got the PSU for free, and made up the difference with selling his R9 270X.

Reminds me of a friend of mine, he bought some cheepo off brand psu off eBay, well long story short the PSU went up in smoke and took a lot of his other components with it. He was able to RMA most of his other components but decides to buy a new PSU, so he gets a higher wattage one that is made by the same company that made the one that fried on him. 

I yelled at him and was like didn't you learn anything the first time around, don't cheep out on your PSU.

the problem here is you didnt help him build the computer right

next time get a sharpie and some stickers and write GTX 275 and put it on the card

you also didnt tell him the PSU is noisy because it is giving him more power

it's all your fault

LOL, I'm tired of cleaning out crap from friends computers just to have them bring it back in a week with the exact same crap and pop ups. How many times do you have to tell them do not install everything that pops up on your screen. :vmad:

Update: He was looking for a new graphics card because the Microcenter technician told him his graphics cards was bad. When I replied to him, and he was doing research on his own, he ended up putting the graphics card back in and the good 750W PSU I gave him, and everything was working fine again...

I had a run in with one of my co-workers today. Being a automotive technician and a Benz tech none the less i take Alot of pride in what i do. I fix cars to the best of my ability, i protect then from getting dirty and i test drive or operation test my repairs to make sure my customer is getting the best or nothing. Worked on a vehicle today. Seat, floor and fender covers fitted. When i was finished i wipe down the engine bay. Made sure the key and interior were cleaner then when it came and buttoned the vehicle. I then put the thing in wash and ill be damned if the first thing one of our wash boys does is sit on the fender. I got out the car and immediately lost my ability to be professional. Believe me, i know i should not have chewed him out cause i ain't his boss. But after i told hint that this is not his 37 thousand dollar car and he shouldn't lean on it he replied "i don't care". And then i had to walk away.

It just drives me up the wall when i and other employees put so much into making sure vehicles get the best of care and its followed by that.