hi all its been some time that i have been on here. this is my gaming rig that i have been working on in 2014.
can u all rank my gaming rig, and give in put/feed bake on the weak components upgrand options ?

Case/Tower, Antec GX700
Monitor, 1 ASUS VS247 1920 by 1080- 1080p
GPU, EVGA 980 sc
MoBo, ASRock z87 Extreme 6
PSU, COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M2 RSA00-SPM2D3-US 1000W
Ram, G.SKILL Sniper serirs 2X4 8gs 2133
CPU, Intel i5 4670K 3.4 ghz over clocked to 4.3
GPU, Cooler, CORSAIR Hydro Series H110
SSD, Samsung 830 128 G
2-500g WD HHD
Head set, Razer Tiamat 7.1
Gaming Mouse, Mad Catz R.A.T.7
Key board, Steelseries Merc Stealth
OS, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Yamaha 5.1 surrond sound

i am thinking a better Monitor is in need maybe something with G-SYNC to set this setup off?

Edited by towhog66

wow over 40 looks and no comments? this is what im thinking, i should upgrade my sdd to the SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256g and my my SAMSUNG 830 128g down to storage?

Edited by towhog66

A new monitor for sure.  1440p, g-sync, and 144hz ...check, check, and check! the PG278Q looks amazing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405

If you have to choose between them for budget reasons, I'd rather have the 1440P than the g-sync.  You shouldn't fall below 60fps in many games except maybe DayZ/Arma or Assasins Creed  :glare: 

The rest of the system is pretty solid.  Not a big fan of the case but to each their own.  Is that cpu stock clocks with that H110?  And 500gb hdds?  Must be from the old system.

I'd rate it at a solid 7/10.  Good gaming hardware with some room for improvement, I'm sure it games like a beast!

• Like 1

It's hard to "rate" or critique your current build because it is pretty solid as it is.

Guess if I were to nitpick it would be on SSD capacity.  At the current pricing there isn't much reason not to have at least a 256Gb SSD.  I usually run at least 16gb of memory on my gaming rig, but 8Gb will suffice.

Monitor is a very personal choice.  So if you like your 1080P monitor stick with it, otherwise investigate some of the 27" 2560x1440 monitors.

Other than that it's hard to find much more you could improve on.

Yeah I'd echo your concerns about a better monitor (well higher resolution anyway), let that GTX 980 breathe a little! Maybe a Korean 27" 2560x1440 would be nice (others would probably be able to better tell ya what ones to look at)

Are you planning to SLI? It seems like a pretty hefty power supply you have.

Personally using a 120GB SSD for over a year when SSDs were more expensive I'd recommend getting a 240GB-256GB SSD so you wouldn't have to drive yourself crazy managing the space. I haven't seen any reason to go bigger than my 240GB drives IMHO, I get tempted when I see 480GBs going for so "cheap" but have a pretty comfortable amount of free space on them. Just don't jump between an army of games while keeping them all installed. I have two installed right now on my desktop (LA Noire and Tomb Raider) and there's still a healthy amount of space to play with.

Maybe see what your i5 can do since you have a good cooler on it, let me know what you think of my suggestions/critiques :)

• Like 1

wow over 60 looks and no comments? this is what im thinking, i should upgrade my sdd to the SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256g and my my SAMSUNG 830 128g down to storage?

Why though?  128gb for storage is nothing, don't bother.  Do you put more than the os on the ssd?  If just the OS then 128gb is fine, if you want a couple programs on there too then swap in the 256gb.  I saw some 500gb ssds going for under $200 on black friday, I was tempted but my ssd is just the os, and has held steady at about 70gbs for a while now.

Instead, I would get a 2TB WD Black drive for games and movies and programs, then a cheaper big hdd (like a 3tb green) for backups. I guess it depends on how much crap you personally download, like movies and stuff, 500gbs might be just fine for you.

ok all ty. i am looking at up dating the sdd 1st to a SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256g, i do have to keep a eye on the 830. i got it in 2013 froe a old set up and just keep it to save money on this set up. i like my 1080P monitor but with a evga 980 sc it just dose not seem right to not have better. ( its a great monitor for a 1080p 1920 by 1080 ) and worked great for my old 560 na ti video card! 

ok all ty. i am looking at up dating the sdd 1st to a SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256g, i do have to keep a eye on the 830. i got it in 2013 fore a old set up and just keep it to save money on this set up. i like my 1080P monitor but with a evga 980 sc it just dose not seem right to not have better. ( its a great monitor for a 1080p 1920 by 1080 ) and worked great for my old 560 na ti video card! 

Edited by towhog66

A new monitor for sure.  1440p, g-sync, and 144hz ...check, check, and check! the PG278Q looks amazing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405

If you have to choose between them for budget reasons, I'd rather have the 1440P than the g-sync.  You shouldn't fall below 60fps in many games except maybe DayZ/Arma or Assasins Creed  :glare: 

The rest of the system is pretty solid.  Not a big fan of the case but to each their own.  Is that cpu stock clocks with that H110?  And 500gb hdds?  Must be from the old system.

I'd rate it at a solid 7/10.  Good gaming hardware with some room for improvement, I'm sure it games like a beast!

i like the case it has great cooling and has all the opptions i need... i love that monitor u posted.... ill have to save up for it... but its doable..... and my cpu is over clocked to 4.3 i cant go any higher then that.... iv tryed every thing just bad lock on the cpu lottery :doh:

It's hard to "rate" or critique your current build because it is pretty solid as it is.

Guess if I were to nitpick it would be on SSD capacity.  At the current pricing there isn't much reason not to have at least a 256Gb SSD.  I usually run at least 16gb of memory on my gaming rig, but 8Gb will suffice.

Monitor is a very personal choice.  So if you like your 1080P monitor stick with it, otherwise investigate some of the 27" 2560x1440 monitors.

Other than that it's hard to find much more you could improve on.

ty.... yes the 128g ssd is in need of inprovements......

Possible things to get:

1. I'd personally get a new monitor. An overclocking 27" 2560 x 1440 IPS monitor is nice, and can be found used for $220 or new for $280 or so. Overclocking to 96Hz or 110Hz is pretty average, and you wouldn't get there on most games with or without two GTX 980's in SLI, anyway.

2. Dedicated sound card or a good amp paired with great home speakers (instead of gaming speakers), and a good headset (which can be found for ~$50 for Sony MDV6's). You'll notice a big difference in sound quality. Not sure what type of Yamaha speakers you currently have, or how much room you have for bigger speakers.

3. Dedicated 480GB SSD for gaming. A Crucial M500 is more than good enough for this, and could be found for $110 or so during deals (maybe I'm thinking more $140?). You can keep your two HD's for back-ups.

Things to avoid:

1. Another GTX 980 to SLI. You're playing at 1080P and 60Hz, so you really don't need it until you get a higher resolution or 96Hz+ monitor. From GTX 680 and on, SLI hasn't been a good experience for me (GTX 680's, 780's, 970's, 980's). NVIDIA's been slacking, lately. Also, most of the good games have been console ports, and they don't optimize the performance, so getting console port games on a super gaming rig is not really worth it.

Edited by El_Capitan
  • Like 1