Built a Desk

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#13 John_Grimm

John_Grimm

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

This is really good work. I want to see it in action too and i really wish i had your skill. :biggrin:
Current Machine (1st Build Ever)                                      Old Work Horse

Case: Cooler Master HAF-912 Plus                        CoolerMaster Elite 330
PSU:  CM RS-750-ACAA-E3                                      CoolerMaster Silent PRO 700 Modular

CPU:  i5 2500K @4.1GHz ; Silver Arrow                 i5 650 - @3.6; stock cooler
MoBo: Gigabyte P67A-UD4                                      Gigabyte P55A-UD3
RAM:  Kingston 2x4GB @ 1600 9-9-9-24              Kingston 2x4GB @ 1600 9-9-9-24
GPU:  AMD HD6850, 1GB, Sapphire TOXIC         ATI HD5830 1GB
HDD:  WD 1TB Black 64MB SATA III                      5 discs totaling 3.08TB

Monitor: ASUS 24" VW246H                                     BenQ 22in LED FullHD

#14 Deathmineral

Deathmineral

No soup for you!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3811 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Good work man. I really like the idea of the holes leading into the "cable management" area you put in, nice thinking! Honestly, I think that's the best idea I've ever seen in a desk xD. There's one thing I would add if that was my desk: A rod protruding about 5" from the right corner of the desk (for hanging headphones when you get up.) Thought I'd mention it in case you wanted something like that too.

I've been wanting to build my own desk forever, and unlike the million mods I consider and never do: It's something I'm going to do. When I do, I'll let you know what it looks like.

That's something I'd like to have on my desk if I ever get around to making my own. I have three sets of headphones and right now I don't have a good setup for them.

I'd also like to see this when it's finished, I've been thinking about making my own desk for a while now for a triple 28" setup. Sadly time, money, and skill are what I'm lacking.

Posted Image

#15 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Update!!

Finally got somewhere on the monitor stand/arms. Since I am basically working with what I got it's taken some extra thought (all my dad on this one, he thought of how to solve the problem of not being able to weld the galvanized steel).

The WIP stand in the vice, clamped together to get the general idea.

Posted Image

Testing the mounting system to the desk itself (Chocolate Lab in the back, eating wood. The dumb dog loves to eat wood shavings)

Posted Image

Attached to the desk with the arms

Posted Image
Posted Image

I do have a Logitech G930, so I might make something to attach it too. The right side of the desk is going to have the case, so I can't put anything there. The left side of the desk will be against a wall so can't put it there.

#16 Lackadaisical

Lackadaisical

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

This is awesome, I want one :)

Nice work.

sigimage.gif?c1=FFFFFF&c2=000000&c3=0000

#17 bishop245

bishop245

So broke I can't even pay attention.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9910 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

you could make a small hook on the front to hand the head phones on ten they would be right there when needed but out of the way when not needed

#18 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

The stand has been painted. Now working on the mounts for the monitors themselves.

Despite the large gap you'll see in one of these pictures this thing is . strong as hell. It's all steel, though since I am working with freebie steel I have to work around things like the gaps.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 bishop245

bishop245

So broke I can't even pay attention.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9910 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

looking good regardless of if its bought or freebie :thumbsup:

#20 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Got it all put together. All the cable management is temporary as I need to get some extension cables for some of them, mount the surge protector, etc...

I also have some work to do on the monitor mounts as the monitors don't line up perfectly, have to cut some of the bolts off so they don't stick out but I am happy with it so far.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#21 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

So I was bored and got sick of where my TV was located so I put it on there as well. I also bought a new office chair as I didn't like the old one

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by S.T.A.L.K.E.R., 19 April 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#22 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5269 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

You need a bigger tv :lol:

med_gallery_78215_532_67141.png

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

Donate to OCC - You could have won an SSD or GPU

#23 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

You need a bigger tv :lol:

Yeah. I got it for free and it oddly enough is a 720p HDTV. It works for what I need.

#24 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

They call me... General Help.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20559 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

You don't watch your movies on the monitor(s)? lol

Nice setup, I'm gelatin :thumbsup:

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V-PRO | Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.6ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 8GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: Samsung 30" 305T | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

GPU Comparison tool on AnAndTech