DFI... or not?

Hey everyone... have a question, well a few actually that you lot can hopefully help me with.

Im currently building a new system for myself with these specs...

SONY Black IDE Combo Drive

ThermalTake Tsunami Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window

SONY Black Internal Floppy Drive

Corsair 1024MB (2 x 512MB Matched Pair), DDR400 / PC3200

ENERMAX All in One Noisetaker Series 600W Power Supply

PNY Verto GeForce 6 6600GT PCI-E 128MB GDDR3

AMD (Venice) Athlon 64 3500+ 939pin 512Kb L2 Cache 90nm

2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80gb, Sata Ncq 3.5lp 7200rpm 8mb

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D SKT939 DDR400 PCI-E SLI ATX

First of all, I would like to know if all this would be ok with the DFI motherboard I want to get?

This new system will only be the third that I have ever built. The first one I built was last year, and was a P4 on a faily tight budget so it has no overclocking capabilities and was faily basic plug in and play. Same goes for the second system I built for a friend. So its pretty obvious that Im still a newbie to all this, and have never overclocked a system in my life.

My question is... since Im still new to all this, is a DFI motherboard suitable for me? I do want to OC my new system and I have heard AMD 64s are good for doing this, so a DFI motherboard seems like the best choice but after extensive reading of this forum, and other places I seem to have got the impression that DFI motherboards are not suitable for newbies such as me.

Basically I want to build a system with the specs listed above, set it all up, install Windows etc... then once I have got used to it, start overclocking and gaining experience in that area. Am I right in thinking that a DFI motherboard requires some experience and is maybe too complex for what I want from my system?

Opinions, suggestions, any help... would be greatly appreciated. :)

Short answer: No, get something else. In my opinion you are correct in your assumptions.

I believe DFI makes the best mobo's, but there are SO MANY options with the DFI boards vice the others that you might feel like you are in over your head. Plus, these DFI boards don't like Corsair memory, so that might be a headache in itself if you got it.

Get the ASUS or ABIT SLI board, and get VERY familiar with overclocking, then on your next go at it, get a DFI board. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

dont look back

dfi all the way

be prepared to spend a few...lot of hours until u get your first dfi running smooth

i got my nf3 and i can say it was the best teacher i had in OC

but i had the time and other comp to call for help here at dfi-street....

1 year ago i didnt knew about dfi

now i have 3.....

and i want more

its hard to explain......u feel the mobo and u love it or u dont have the time or dont want to spend hours running tests....and u hate it

me.....i just feel that at this point nf2 nf3 nf4.....best mobo...dfi...is there more to say

guess not

As long as your willing to read alot and commit yourself in learning about the board and how to overclock. I'f so this would be the place to do it.. Bare in mind that overclocking is a hobbie, and in all hobbies theres an unexpected cost. You might have to buy different ram, or your PSU 3.3v is only running at 3.1v.. Hence having to buy new psu. My friend asked me why i overclock my rig... I told him its because i can get a 3ghz cpu for $150 bucks and make it run like a $350 3.8ghz. So im saving $200....

He laughed at me and said " so why did you buy $300 ram, $175 mobo, $150 psu to make it run at 3.8... I realised i like to do this as a hobbie and not out of necessity :nod:

I plan on building a new AMD rig and i have spent the last two months just reading threads here to get my self a head start. :nod:

JUST DO IT!!!!

Guest Shibby

This was my first overclocking board, I have zero regrets. I would say that I was about on your level of expertise before diving in on this board. Just KNOW that you will need to do some extensive research and probably a significant amount of time tweaking the board to get it running correctly. If you think that this will be more hassle than fun, the DO NOT get this board. If it sounds like fun, give'r! It's one heck of a cool board, and if you can a handle on it, you'll know more about how computers/ram work than you ever thought you'd want to :P

If you're a beginner and want to try this, I say go for it, but you will need patience! Read, Read, Read, then Try, Try, Try, then repeat this process over and over. LOL. I advise against corsair, though, my opinion. Get some OCZ. When you get stuck, and frustrated (and you will) then hopefully you have another pc right there, so you can come here and search. The search button is your friend. I'll bet most if not all of the questions you will have are already answered here in this forum somewhere!

I've had a DFI AD75, AD77, NF2 400s-al, Lanparty B, and now I have a NF3 Ultra-D. DFI produces excellent quality mobo's. I just wished the company who supplied the chipset fans for my Ultra-D had better QC, or if the DFI employees in taiwan had taken out their ear plugs b4 these boards got shipped, :)

So just say yes to DFI.

Corsair 1024MB (2 x 512MB Matched Pair), DDR400 / PC3200

If you do decide to try it, do not get Corsair but rather some OCZ or other commonly used /recomended brand.

I have this memory working and it is not going to break any records or budgets. $139.00 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227211

Just depends on how much cash you throw at the memory and I didnt want to spend tons to get that little extra whoomph.

Its not so difficult to learn, It's just a lot to absorb at once.

Rest of the build looks ok.