And now for another Question ;) Whats you favourite Firewall?

loggan26

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ZA is good, Norton is good, AVG is good, McAffe is good, but nowadays a FW will only get you protected to a certain extent, but choosing most likely a Norton and or AVG.

are any of these actually firewalls besides za or just anti-viruses??

I use netgear

Norton is the most bloated piece of craplication code I have ever seen. When someone brings a box to the shop with Norton on it I automatically double the time estimate. Good Lord, there are over 300 pages of instructions on the Norton site about removing their software. 300 pages!

I use a Linksys Router with updated firmware and Windows Firewall.

For high security, I would go with a newer Netgear or SMC firewall/router with both NAT and SPI.

I had a Netgear but it didn't play well with Skype so I went to an inexpensive Linksys NAT-only firewall/router.

I agree that most Norton consumer products are terrible, but I use the Symantec Corporate AV which is very good and even uninstalls well.

My favourite software firewall = Look 'n' Stop.

Tiny, at just over 600kb. Very small footprint, never gets higher than 7mb on my system. Excellent protection and i can configure it exactly how i like it. Not as intrusive as some firewalls i've used. The best Application Control available in any firewall. Great support forums.

Guest chrisexv6

IPChains/IPTables in Linux.

Built into the kernel so there is zero bandwidth hit, and its rock solid stable 24/7. I rebooted mine after 199 straight days of uptime, because I was bored :)

If you run it 24/7, it also makes a good network storage device, just setup some Samba shares and they are available to the Windows network.

-Chris