NF4 SLI-DR> XP Install for X2 4800 - Must I install the AMD driver

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we do not recommend putting the AMD driver in for any cpu, x2 or otherwise, unless you are running C&Q or need some other special function of the cpu.

I've tried out many different applications and games on teh X2 and only run into problems with SLI (which neither Rgone nor I have found a fix for yet). No problems on any other software, so I assume it usually boils down to how you have your system set up.

Again, we do not recommend this driver or any cpu driver unless you need it for special cpu functions like C&Q.

Also, Angry dont know if this helps but I was having issues with SLI and my x2. Problems are gone and this is what I did:

Installed new version of forceware drivers 77.77, installed x2 driver from AMD.

I also tried installing new beta drivers 77.56 and problems are still gone. Not sure if it was the fnew forceware drivers, or the amd drivers or a combination of both. But I dont really care. The problems are gone so it was one or the other or both.

I have absolutely no problems on my x2 when running any games in SLI since I did this. Before I would get flashing screens, lock ups, artifacts etc.

I am overclocked to 240x11 and my Memory timings and 2.5 3-3-7

Video cards are overclocked to 525/1100

Running current BETA x86 drivers forceware 77.56 and Nforce 6.66

The problems were the same on a 32 bit xp build, so it had nothing to do with the version of windows. It was a driver issue. Either the forceware, or amd drivers. Or like I said a combo of both, not sure. If someone wants to test let me know. But Im not going to uninstall anything now that my system is running good. I dont use CNQ btw.

Running current BETA x86 drivers

I think you mean x86-64, AKA x64, cause x86 could also apply to 32-bit. There are official 77.72 drivers available for the 64-bit version of Windows, so it is not necessary to use betas, unless of course they make your card run faster without destabilizing it. If you were getting artifacts, it could have been the older drivers, cause the issue that people are having with the dual-cores and games, relates to the speed at which the game runs, not the image quality. The boot.ini change, the cpu driver, and SP2 all try to remedy this problem.

Yea I am running the 64-Bit version of Windows xp build 3790.

I was using the forceware 77.72 for 64-bit with my winchester 3500 .. had no problems. I purchased the x2 4400. Did a fresh install. Reinstalled the appropriate drivers and started having problems in games when SLI was enabled. It was definately an issue with load balancing and the x2 dual core or some variation of the 77.72 drivers and support for the x2 processors. Switched to the 77.77 and now the 77.56 forceware drivers (which are betas) and installed the amd x2 driver from www.amd.com and the problems are now gone.

the 77.72 drivers from nvidia gave me problems with SLI on both builds .. 64-bit and 32 bit(yes I had the 77.72 32 bit installed when i tested the xp 32 bit build) same identical problems.

Problems are gone once I uninstalled the 77.72 drivers and installed the 77.77. They also work fine with the 77.56 drivers. Like I said I also installed the amd x2 driver and not sure if this had anything to do with it.

Yeah when I first got My Voodoo PC the games ran like crap I went thru hell trying to figure out the problem Voodoo couldn't even figure it out. I finally figured it out. It was the freaking AMD driver. I just went to system properties and rolled back the driver and bam my games ran as good as they were gonna run. Don't use the driver save yourself the trouble.

Well now that i was bragging about not having problems now I have them again .. going back to forceware 77.77