2 x 1GB options... yep, another one, but help me out here

Guest Aphex_merged

Guest Aphex

Yeah, another 2x1GB thread :rolleyes:

Currently looking at three options (from ridiculously expensive to saner)

OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 1024MB Gold Edition

OCZ 2x1GB Platinum PC3200

Mushkin HP3200

Okay, here's the deal. Obviously, I'd like to spend as little as possible. BUT, if the PC4000 OCZ is worth the extra $100 over the PC3200 OCZ or Mushkin PC3200, then I might get it instead. Thoughts?

1. Is the OCZ PC4000 worth the considerable amount of extra money or should I stick with the PC3200 options?

2. As for overclocking, 250 HTT would be nice - but I'm torn here too; which is better, 250 HTT with crappy timings like 3-4-4-8 or say 220 HTT with tight timings such as 2-3-2-5?

Thanks for your help guys. :)

Hey Chief, you would'nt see $100 worth of extra performance. Just go for the OCZ 2x1GB Platinum PC3200, I know it can go to 230Mhz on the FSB with 2-3-2-5. Guy called Ryder on these forums works for OCZ and gave me good BIOS settings for this mem. Give a go, you know you want to!!! ;)

250x11 is always better than 220x11 regardless of timings.

cpu mhz rules, memory bandwidth is moot when running DDR200 ratio all the way down to DDR166

i'd go for the PC4000 myself (I have it doing 240x11 on an X2 4400+ @ 2650Mhz easily)

Guest burningrave101

The PC4000 is really a waste in money. Its too expensive and you wont notice any difference in performance. RAM speed has very little impact on performance. What RAM you use has no impact on your maximum CPU speed because the memory dividers are there as options for a purpose. I would go with the OCZ PC3200 Platinum or Crucial PC3200 Value. The Crucial PC3200 Value will overclock better then the OCZ Platinum and its cheaper.

Guest Aphex
I just ordered a set of the Platinum ram (PC4000 isn't available in Canada yet AFAIK). From what I see, it clocks up to about 230MHz at about 2.5-3-3-x for most people.

Okay. Now the question is, is it worth it to pay an additional $100 to get that clocked at 250mhz? ;)