New SLI-DR Chipset @ 52 deg C?! Is this bad?

The original Asus A8N Deluxe SLI, had a chipset-fan issue as well. The fan, after 2-3 months would start to whine and then a week later start to grind. After that if you hadn't RMA'd the fan you would be sending the MB back for chipset failure.I just replaced the fan for a friend, and found numerous accounts of that reported on the web. The new Deluxe fan was wider and not so enclosed iniside of heatsink fins. The new Asus A8n Premium has the heat pipe instead of a fan. Maybe that is the way to go.

Has anyone found a compatible replacement for the DFI chipset fan? I Hit 62C today and rebooted in the middle of BF2.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok guys i've just taken the photos from the chipset fan i made. photos are pretty bad (camera phone) however you can see it doesnt take much work to do. http://members.optusnet.com.au/arcticfox/DFI/ some feedback would be nice. sorry for hijacking the thread

temps are as follow using mbm5 and NF4 database

Cool and Quiet enable @ 1Ghz 5x200 (2-2-5-2 mem=2.74v)

CPU = 21 Degrees C

VCORE = 1.07

PWMIC = 30 degrees C

LTD = 1.18v

CHIPSET = 27 degrees C

CHIPSET = 1.49v

CPU FAN = 1960rpm

Cool and Quiet disabled @ 2.2Ghz 11x200 prime95 max heat/power

Cpu = 34 degrees C

Vcore = 1.4v

PWMIC = 36 degrees C

LTD = 1.18v

Chipset = 29 degrees

Chipset = 1.49c

Cool and Quiet disabled @ 2.5Ghz 10x250 prime95 max heat/power (2.5-3-8-3 mem =2.74v 4xHTT)

Cpu = 40 degrees C

Vcore = 1.4v

PWMIC = 39 degrees C

LTD = 1.18v

Chipset = 29 degrees, 33 degrees C max i've seen

Chipset = 1.49c

hopes that gives you guys a hint on how good the stock 9800pro HSF does on this DFI board. all i can say is that the stock DFI fan really needs to be redone to maximise heat transfer. what it reminds me of is the crystal orb from thermaltake that i used on my geforce3-200 and that was barely keeping cooler then the stock HSF it came with.

ok guys i've just taken the photos from the chipset fan i made. photos are pretty bad (camera phone) however you can see it doesnt take much work to do. http://members.optusnet.com.au/arcticfox/DFI/ some feedback would be nice. sorry for hijacking the thread

temps are as follow using mbm5 and NF4 database

Cool and Quiet enable @ 1Ghz 5x200 (2-2-5-2 mem=2.74v)

CPU = 21 Degrees C

VCORE = 1.07

PWMIC = 30 degrees C

LTD = 1.18v

CHIPSET = 27 degrees C

CHIPSET = 1.49v

CPU FAN = 1960rpm

Cool and Quiet disabled @ 2.2Ghz 11x200 prime95 max heat/power

Cpu = 34 degrees C

Vcore = 1.4v

PWMIC = 36 degrees C

LTD = 1.18v

Chipset = 29 degrees

Chipset = 1.49c

Cool and Quiet disabled @ 2.5Ghz 10x250 prime95 max heat/power (2.5-3-8-3 mem =2.74v 4xHTT)

Cpu = 40 degrees C

Vcore = 1.4v

PWMIC = 39 degrees C

LTD = 1.18v

Chipset = 29 degrees, 33 degrees C max i've seen

Chipset = 1.49c

hopes that gives you guys a hint on how good the stock 9800pro HSF does on this DFI board. all i can say is that the stock DFI fan really needs to be redone to maximise heat transfer. what it reminds me of is the crystal orb from thermaltake that i used on my geforce3-200 and that was barely keeping cooler then the stock HSF it came with.

What Can I say, BRILLIANT!

You may wanna start another post here to advertise this work so it could be sitckied. What did you do to feed power to the fan sicne the connectors are different?

What Can I say, BRILLIANT!

You may wanna start another post here to advertise this work so it could be sitckied. What did you do to feed power to the fan sicne the connectors are different?

i had a thread over at futuremark regarding this mod. my apologies to the thread maker for hijacking it. i used the spare 3pin and wired it to the 9800 hsf fan. dont need the third blue wire as you dont need the fan speed monitored. as for the holes, just inlarge it with a drill by 1mm then you can use the push pins from the original fan.

most of nf4 boards chipsets run hot, and their location sucks, (had to order my watercooler for the chipset from italy as no us made one would fit under the graphics card)

What chipset did you buy to WC it?

What chipset did you buy to WC it?

Teecee, FYI

If you looking for a water block this Lanparty Freezer may worth to look at:

http://www.mips-computer.de/

Review link: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Mips/DFIFreezer

It works great on my SLI-DR.

Warning, you need to order from Germany to ship to you. It's expensive. They only accept electronic wire fund.

Regards