New SLI-DR Chipset @ 52 deg C?! Is this bad?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if a wind tunnel is going to help, unfortunately - the PCI-E is so close (looks like less than 1mm) to the heatsink/fan, that the thermal issue is literally having to do with simple heat emanation (as opposed to vectored/vented heat).

I have an Antec VGA cooler blowing air onto the GPU itself (which incidentally is keeping my GPU at around a very comfortable 61 C under heavy load), and my fingers aren't detecting any airflow at the point where the far right side of the PCI-E card and the chipset fan/heatsink are nearly touching.

The card itself gets quite hot right at that chipset/card-end juncture. The Antec VGA cooler seems to keep the heatsink itself cooler than that far right end of the card!

With all due respect to the beauty of this DFI board, I think I'm going to sideline it and pick up either an ASUS or MSI board... :(

Okay......10 minutes of Medal of Honor PA and my chipset is at 58c....um...wtf DFI? Nothing is OC'ed except for my RAM which is at 2.9v.

This is my first DFI board and I couldn't be more disappointed :(

mattpeckham I am failing to see the reasons for ditching the DFI board- Are you worried about the MB failure due to excessive heat, or are you saying that with another MB you are able to OC higher, and that the high heat is holding you back?

Stangs55 what are the turn off and full on temp settings set to in the BIOS?

I found the best results were at turn off at <25 and full on at >60

that keeps mine around 47 or so

Well i hear the NF4 chips run hotter.....mine is about at 48C idle and up to 51C idle with my chipset fan blazing at 7000rpm! That higher temp is at a room temp of about 85-90F in the last few weeks.

not sure how to test my temps at load since i cant see the smart guarding screen while running games?

Do you guys know at what voltage in bios you need to turn your board to the 4v setting to OC the ram?

Stangs55 what are the turn off and full on temp settings set to in the BIOS?

I found the best results were at turn off at <25 and full on at >60

that keeps mine around 47 or so

Off < 20

Full > 50

:(

I agree with everyone here, about the design flaw, I have two 7800GTX's sitting in top of that chipset and it seems impossible to cool it down, I've tried setting fans blowing at it from many direction, it's just seems too jamed in there behind those big heat producing monsters and it's impossible to cool it. It's even impossible to mod a good heat sink fot it, nothing will fit there no clearance what so ever.

i have to leave my fan on high at all times... ~44*C but its very cold in the room. 7800gtx is right on top of it... im thinking about taking it off and putting some AS5 on it, i hear it lowers it by 5*C, would this void my warranty, and would i have to take the board out of the case to do this?

i have to leave my fan on high at all times... ~44*C but its very cold in the room. 7800gtx is right on top of it... im thinking about taking it off and putting some AS5 on it, i hear it lowers it by 5*C, would this void my warranty, and would i have to take the board out of the case to do this?

I applied AS5 to the NB heatsink before I ever powered the system up (it's a lot easier to remove the thermal pad before it gets heated up), and it's still hot. I reapplied it think I screwed up, but still is just as hot. And this is with an arctic cooling silencer on my 6600GT. Fundamentally, the NB fan just isn't getting enough air intake to be able to cool the NB with a PCI-E video card directly hanging above it.

I'm not sure there is any way to really fix this given it's location other than using the other PCI-E slot.

Thanks,

Mike

i guess my main question is can the fan be removed without taking the board out? I have to RMA my vid card for a week anyway so ill be able to access it, but do i need to remove teh board out of the case or can i get it out from the top?