New SLI-DR Chipset @ 52 deg C?! Is this bad?

Just installed my first DFI SLI-DR board and have had XP Pro up and running for a while now. I've installed smart guardian and all of my temps seem okay, but I have a few "red" readings:

Chipset - 52 C

LDT Bus - 1.39 V

NM +1.5 - 1.77 V

Is this Chipset temp too high? The rest of my temps seem okay (CPU - 40 C, PWM IC - 42 C). What's wrong here? Is my SLI configurations blocking too much ariflow? I've got 4 fans in my Thermaltake Tsunami case.

Help :(

EDIT - I have updated my settings according to http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5844 and my chipset voltage was set to 1.8V....Could this be it? Is that too high?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:(

mkay....so I lowered it to 1.50, yet my temp is now hovering at 49 C even after giving the system a 15 minute break to cool down in between. I rebooted, played WoW for about 3 minutes, and checked my temp :(

any ideas?

I'm thinking that it could be related to the fact that DFI desinged this mobo so that my BFG 7800 GTX sits directly on top of the chipsets fan....and seeing that my BFg runs at about 51 C....it's heating the chipsets air.

Is ANYONE else having this problem (if this indeed is the problem, then it seems like alot of people would be in a similar situation)? Or is it something elsE?

That sounds about right. My chipset gets into the mid 50s during heavy load, and I have 2-slot 6800gt with a large cooler sitting right over the chipset cooler.

The positioning of the chipset is my only beef with this board.

Does anyone know of a good upgrade air chipset cooler that would fit under the video card(s)?

I'm having the exact same problem with a LanParty UT NF4 SLI-DR board and a Gigabyte Geforce 7800GTX. My CPU temp is amazingly *lower* than the System (chipset temp), by almost 10 degrees at idle (39 vs. 49). During load, e.g. the Nvidia Luna demo, my values average the following:

CPU: 40

System: 55

GPU: 60

CPU and GPU are rock solid, in other words, but the durned System temp is out of control. What's more, Nvidia MonitorView apparently thinks it's a problem, as it claims anything higher than 44 C is too high for the System temp.

I've tried sticking Mad Dog 4800 RPM fans in the case in various locations (played with both in and out airflow options), and moved my single (I'm not even running SLI) GPU down to the lower PCI-E slot - which helps a few degrees C, but little else.

Doesn't it seem like a design flaw, to locate the Nforce4 chipset right below the hot end of a PCI-E GPU? It's obviously a poor marriage given that the CPU - an Athlon 4000+ just using AMD's stock fan/sink - is at any given time 10 degrees C cooler than the Nforce4 chipset...

Matt

Doesn't it seem like a design flaw, to locate the Nforce4 chipset right below the hot end of a PCI-E GPU? It's obviously a poor marriage given that the CPU - an Athlon 4000+ just using AMD's stock fan/sink - is at any given time 10 degrees C cooler than the Nforce4 chipset...

Matt

Yes :confused:

makes no sense to me....at all....my oc'ing is definatly limited by this.... :(