what do you think of the ThermalRight SI 97A

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://heatsinkfactory.com/cgi-bin/HFAstor...atalogno=HS-010

seems our friends at Thermal Right figured why not change the base of the SI 97 a bit to make it Socket A and 754/939 compatible, hmm I might buy one to try it out.

What do you think?

Well I wasn't "thrilled" with it in the first place. The single pass thru spring clip leaves a little to be desired and makes it easy to un-seat/dislodge when yer fussin around near it. I also don't like the way it floats about. I think Shinobi and AG have commented on spring style retainers being a little dicey with naked/mobile cpus and now I know why. Seems it would be awfully easy to chip a corner off the core with all the flex going on...

I like it....

Just gives us another option when going from a XP cpu to a A64.... I also think the base is small but... I think this heatsink is far superior to others in the past...

I just think most of us are used to Big honking heatsinks that we could lean on to clip on....This kind takes alot more finess than normal but...I prefer it...Although it kinda looks like the starship Enterprise of heatsinks...Doc...

i have it for my infinity and 2600 mobile and really wish i would have gotten a copper version like sp-97 instead because of posts where ive cmpaerd my temps to temps of sp's and they were considerably lower. overall though it does cool better than the stock one :)

well currently at full load at 2.4 im running 37 to 38c with my thermostat on the AC set to 78f, so how much more if any do you think the SI 97 might do

Shinobi switched from a Volcano 12 to a SP97 and said he got big temp drops

the sp 97 and the SI 97 are completely different beasts though, the only thing I like about swapping is that the over hang of the wings of an SI 97 on the infinity wont provide any ram airflow like on the NF4 board, but will help get some air over the northbridge cooler, thats one reason for consideration, the volcano 12 spits the expelled air out from left to right, well the socket is sandwiched between the rear I/O ports and the 20 pin connector, so the airflow is restricted really and Im just wondering if the SI design would probably benefit me more, I think it will, now that there is a socket 754/939 version that also works with socket A, I might try it, also worth mentioning the Ultras modular 20 pin connector is a solid block of plastic, so its more restrictive then a typical 20 pinn connector, basically in its current config theres no real active airflow over the NB, which brings me to the next consideration......

A quick question, where is the case temp sensor on this board. I always assumed they were in the NB but on this board as long as I have one of my 120 mm fans aimed at the SB, the case temps been around 30c, if I dont have the 120 blowing that direction, its spikes to 45c which seems extremely high for the case temp, this is running the rig out in the open on the desk, I have never in my life had a case temp run more than the CPU temp

Are these Infinitys accurate with thier readings, this is using the Hardware Doctor program included with the board and the MotherBoard Monitor software, each seems to be consistent with the reported readings, Im considering a SB HS or HSF replacement, any ideas or products known to work, it seems companies dont really make SB cooling products, and now that the NF3 and NF4 has one chipset I doubt anything will be produced for a SB ennviroment, so its improvise time

While I agree the two are radically different,if you check the results Shinobi and I got in the OCDB,it should show my temps lower even though I was using more vcor.When ambient temps were 65-70,I never went over 46-47C even when pushing 1.95vcor under load

Yup. With a 25°C Case Temp, at 1.8v after many, many hours of Priming i reached 45°C. With 1.9v Vcore, 31°C Case Temp Playah got 46°C full load temps.

Have to admit though, my Volcano12 was starting to get quite a bit dusty which could have contributed to my higher temps but still, thats quite a difference :)

The Volcano12 is a decent Heatsink, and cheap, but the Thermalrights are better. One BIG advantage of the Thermalrights is that they still perform well at low CFM.

Lower the speed of the fan on the V12 to a tolerable level and temps would start to shoot up, not quite so with the Thermalrights.

Another advantage of the Thermalrights over the V12 is noise(or lack of it). When paired with the same fan i found it was noticeably louder when used with the V12...

As to whether i'd get an SI-97 or SI-97A, if they were the same price(or SI-97A was cheaper) then i'd get the SI-97A. If the SI-97 was cheaper i'd get that. The reason being, its not really a heatsink i'd wanna use on A64 because there are better ones like the XP-90, XP-90C available for it that i'd prefer to use instead...