what do you think of the ThermalRight SI 97A

fair enough, but considering that what I want to do is probably go the A64 route and do the 939 nf4 thing, that much I know is clear, Ill be most likely getting a xp90 for it, Ill continue to use this Infinity but down the road I am also thinking of retiring the Socket A at some point, Ill run it till it physically gives out, by then Socket A should be history and there will still be lots of socket 939 boards out, the A revision just gives you that extra backup just in case, I can keep the SI 97a as a just in case. I decided thats what Im going to do. Even if I just bought one of those Sempy E rev and threw it on a DFI nf3 250 board I think the SI would be better than an AMD stock sink

It seems to be otherwise the exact same sink, I wouldn't mind a bit more quiet around here either

:D Thanks for the replies guys, Ill probably order one on Fri

Cheers

Jeremy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea sadly no one has done any online reviews of it yet, so Im kinda going on blind faith but I think right now I need some more of that airflow over that NB too bad the ram is not arranged like the NF4 board, oh well, Ill figure some active cooling out on that part of the board as well, Im sure its hurting my OC efforts, probably more my lack of the bios though

Well, I went out and looked locally to see if anyone had this heatsink, nope, but I did find this coolermaster blue ice chipset cooler, i suspect its more for a NB but its not too big and seeing DFI was really nice about leaving the SB area pretty clear of any components for the most part, should work as a SB just fine. My current setup caseless works great with the 120 mm fan parked right at the boards edge blowing past the SATA connectors, but once I reinstall into a case I wont have the option of having that much airflow being directed right at it, plus that 120 is typically what keeps my raptor cooled down, right now without active air over the top its kinda toasty, so since no one has any Thermal Right locally

What Online etailer would you trust/suggest? The egg doesn't have the SI/97A

So Im left with a hand full of choices off the TR page as resellers I have never dealt with before. Of the ones I checked out heres the ones that seemed legit based off thier webpages, any experiences or successful transactions with these folks guys?

SVC

JabTech

CrazyPC

HeatsinkFactory

FrozenCPU

They all have the A revision in stock and are priced all the same. Which company would be best.

Also, probably going to go with one of the Panaflo recommended fans. I want to order this tonight so it can maybe get here by Sat if Im lucky. Otherwise, it wont be until Mon because of Sun.

LMK guys thanks

I was actually thinking JabTech looked to be my choice, this is the fan they recommend with it

http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2608

They say 3 pin fan tail supports it or you can choose the 4 pinned molex and Im guessing it wouldn't then, I would most likely opt for the 3 pin, they also will sleeve it for a couple bucks more and that seems very reasonable to me, so Ill probably opt for that too

Ill check out the ones you suggested, I guess depending on shipping and who's the fastest options in that dept wise is who Ill go with. I dont think I can probably go wrong either route, so thanks dude. Ill kick it around and decide sometime tonight.

Jab Tech immediately replied to my email of questions for them :) I think that sealed the deal and so far I have yet to find any negative comments about them, I have my decision, now I need to decide on a fan, upon thier recommendation I think Ill go with the faster fan that has the RPM monitoring and have them sleeve it for me, that way I dont have to mess with it at all. Well, my thanks to playah who was the only one that happened to have chance to respond before I decided, Ill let you guys know once the cooler arrives what the new A rev is all about, Ill setup that blue ice at the same time. Just plugging it on the board to test the sounds its not loud at all, and the blue leds compliment the blue ones on my vid card :)

It comes with some thermal tape, since Im gonna be placing an order with Jab Tech I might consider the AS epoxy stuff since the SB has no holes and Im afraid the tape might hurt my effort, the AS expoxy and or a few dabs of Superglue and some AS 5 would do the trick right? I have never messed around with AS expoy? Anyone have any insight? Or would the superglue in the corners be the ticket?

I need to browse thier site too to see if anything else tickles my fancy :) before I place this order :D

Yup i recommend Jab Tech. I've had dealings with them in the past and they were great. They were very fast at responding to emails too as you say :)

One thing though, don't go the 3 Pin Header route for your CPU Fan, with it being so powerful it'll eventually blow the header...

Just get one of the 3 Pin to 4 Pin Molex adapters for it that has the seperate yellow RPM monitor cable coming off it to plug in to the CPU Fan Header so you can still monitor RPM's. Thats what i use for all my fans...

noted :)

I also have some small heatsinks that were supposed to be used for BGA ram with a Koolance GPU waterblock, but my best friend never bothered since the card originally never had any kind of ram sinks to begin with and he was going for the ultimate quiet machine with no overclocking intended of anykind, so I have those as well, figured since I gonna have it torn down and installing the other why not these as well

started by removing the stock sb heatsink, wow it was only really making contact Id say about the size of a dime in the dead center, the rest of that sticky stuff DFI slapped on there was really dirty, which means it was hardly in contact with the sb at all, upon further inspection, the included sink is a bit warped on mine at least, no wonder it got so hot on its own, I unplugged the board, let it sit for a few moments to dissapate any power in it, and got to work

carefully used a clean brand new razor blade and scraped what was making contact off, then used 91 percent rubbing alcohol to swab the surface of anything remaining, now just for my peace of mind I ran the board without the stock sb hs to see what it would do. It actually was reporting 2 degrees less without my 120 fan blowing at it and its right on par with the fan blowing at it when the stock sb hs was on there. :( so nice attempt DFI but in reality its actually useless :(

Im gonna test with the new blue ice I bought with its included fan, which by the way is almost slient :) I cant hear it, Ill then test it without the fan and no 120, and then without the fan but with my 120 blowing at it, upon visual inspection it is flat and should make much better contact with the SB and for now Ill just use the included thermal tape, Ill have to see what the temp does with it, if I dont like the result Ill include some of that AS adhesive stuff with my HS order which Ill probably place tonight, I just want to double check on everything and make sure when I order I order everything at once, Im considering a few other items to throw in as well

Thanks again all

Jeremy

The Blue Ice on the SB is keeping it at around 33 to 34c, I can live with that, that 40 plus and it being more than the CPU temp was alarming to me, what is a safe respectable temp on the SB?

Im thinking if I did get that AS adhesive it would probably be just a tad bit better than the thermaltape stuff? what do you think?

as for the Jab Tech order here is my current shopping list

http://www.jab-tech.com/catalog/ThermalRig...97A_p_2999.html

and

http://www.jab-tech.com/catalog/Panaflo_H1...fan_p_2001.html

for sure

Which of these 2 would be better over the thermal tape for the SB HSF?

http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.p...7&cat=52&page=1

or

http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.p...8&cat=52&page=1