Urgent Help Needed

I just got an idea(although I doubt it will work) since my new mobo has both built in sound and built in networking, I didn't bother to put my old networking card back in along with the sound card, since I didn't format the hard drive yet maybe it still needs these parts.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I got it to boot finally! But then I ran into another problem.. :angry: I went to format my harddrive by reinstalling Windows, and when it gets to 100% done on reformating it says "Windows was unable to format the selected partition. Please make sure your harddrive is not damaged." How the heck could my harddrive have been damaged? I didn't abuse it when I took it out... also I thought maybe the cables wheren't properly attached, so I recked the cables and still had no luck. Is my harddrive really permanentally damaged?

I'm gonna go and try to find one of those disk, I vaguely remember it coming with one... if it doesn't have one, could someone tell me how to make a boot disk from the bios? I haven't made a boot disk in ages and don't remember how.

Update: I found the Western Digital disk, but I can't get it to work... I put it in and the computer just says system disc boot failure. I guess all I can do now is try and make that boot disk... hopefully someone here knows how to make one. Also I don't think this will work, but maybe I could try installing my friends Windows XP... I don't really see how it would be any different the 2000 Professional, but its worth a try.

I went back and thought what I could have done wrong... and I think I may have done something wrong when I first formatted it yesterday. It said I had one partition of 38XXXmb (I have a Western Digital 40 gig harddrive) and instead of installing a new windows on that partition, I chose to delete it, and then create a new partition of equal size. Could that have been what I did wrong? Should I have just reinstalled Windows in the first place vs. just deleting the partition and creating a new one? If so is there any way I can fix this problem or undo the wrongs I did? Thanks.

Update: Can't double post so I had to update again... I have given up all hope on this hard drive and am going to go buy a new one in a few minutes. I'm not going to buy a Western Digital again because they shouldn't be failing after just six months! Also I thought maybe it was just my new motherboard that was working right, so I put my old motherboard back in and as soon as I turn on my computer it says "Error Loading Operating System"...

Edited by [?]Ghost2520

I was planning on buying a Maxtor cause I have heard lots of good things about them. I was going to get a ride to the store tonight, but now my mom is trying to tell my dad not to take me... I need my computer tonight! I haven't been able to game for like 28 hours! I'm going to die soon if I don't get this to work! Also, I tried yet again to get my harddrive to work... I tried formatting it on my old motherboard, and as soon as I clicked format a "Stop System Screen" came up. I have never seen one of them before so I don't really understand what it means, but I think my harddrive is toast. ( I might donate it to whoever it was that wanted old computer parts to launch off their trebuchet)

lol I figured someone else might want it... I think there is a chance that it isn't fried and I'm just not doing something right... thats why I'm going to keep the harddrive, until this guy who knows how fix just about everything in computers comes home from vacation... and if he says its fried, then I will decide what to do... maybe start an auction between the different people on OCC who want a dead harddrive...