Dual 7800 GTX and Ultra X-Connect

Mind if I ask where you came by this info?
Research.

The X-Connect 500W was on my "Best Bang for the Buck" (@<$70) list over at EOC.

Alot of members got them for Christmas & their performance was terrible!

It turned out that Ultra, who up until the X-Connect 500W had always been a "JUNK" dealer,

had gone back to their old ways & changed manufactures.

All the "newer" (from at least 1-1-05) on are made by Youngyear, who also makes the Powmax! :drool:

I have monitored my PSU (Aspire 500W) for a year using various software programs, MBM5 (when I was using an MSI K8T MB), Sandra Environment Monitor, Speed Fan, others. It has always been reported as maintaining steady voltages, but, a little low. My 12V reads from 11.65 to 11.85, 3.3V 3.18 to 3.23. I'm not aware of any stability issues. Anyone think this is a problem with my rig?
Test like this: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=137886

Replace ASAP :nod:, Aspire's are also made by Youngyear & when they fail they often take mobo/video with them.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to answer anyone else's questions regarding power consumption, the 7800 GTX uses less power then the 6800 ultra's because it is architecturely advanced just like the difference between the 6800 ultra and the 5950 ultra. The 6800 ultra consumed around 80 watts at full load.

you're right about the first part but are you sure about 80W? where did you get that info?

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2451&p=20

It turned out that Ultra, who up until the X-Connect 500W had always been a "JUNK" dealer,

had gone back to their old ways & changed manufactures.

All the "newer" (from at least 1-1-05) on are made by Youngyear, who also makes the Powmax!

Thanks for the info. I've had an uneasy feeling about them from the beginning (starting with the "Free SATA Cable" offer that never happened).

Next teardown, the TrueBlue 480 goes back in (unless there's a problem with it I haven't heard about ;) ).

i have the TB480 and it's fine for my non-sli use. may not be enough for your sli setup tho, as it only has 22A on the 12V rail (at least 30A is recommended).
Actually today's recommendations are +12V@26A of non-SLI & +12V@34A for SLI & more is always better.

However most people can get by quite nicely with +12V@24A

from a "known good" brand like Antec for non-SLI rigs.

Although +12V@22A's is a little low,

as long as the rig is a modest one & there is good case cooling, all should be fine.

GL ;)

I use CoolerMaster's Real Power 550(RS-550-ACLY), which has an output peak capacity of 650W (550W continually). It ought to be sufficient for some years to come, you can barely hear it plus there are some nice blue leds just for the looks.

Anyone's opinion on this Power Supply Unit?