NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

Well not only do I have to switch off the PSU, then back on so that the computer will boot up normally.....now when it does boot up it puts the CPU in safe mode so I gotta enter the BIOS then exit and it'll boot up properly =/

This is board is almost acting the opposite of wine, it's getting worse with age

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to be slightly confused about this particular motherboard model. I have seen references made to the nForce3 UT Ultra-D and the nForce3 Ultra-D. I have checked DFI's website and there is only the UT mentioned. However, that motherboard has onboard Nvidia S-ATA RAID. The other one that I have seen, the non-UT, has SI3114/8 RAID.

I have contacted the store that I deal with and they only have a SKU for a non-UT.

Is there infact two different types of this board or just the one?

Also, I have an XP120 heatsink on my Neo2 Platinum and I was wondering if the heatsink will interfere with the S-ATA connectors next to the socket on the UT.

Thanks.

Well not only do I have to switch off the PSU, then back on so that the computer will boot up normally.....now when it does boot up it puts the CPU in safe mode so I gotta enter the BIOS then exit and it'll boot up properly =/

This is board is almost acting the opposite of wine, it's getting worse with age

I'm curious if any of us would be having any of these issues at all if the darn puter wasn't being OC'd ;) Who wants to volunteer to leave his computer at stock clocks for an entire week and report their findings???? Which of you brave souls can actually leave one configuration as is for more than 24 hours???????? Let alone at......gasp.............stock settings!!!!!!!!!! Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! I can't even bear the thought!!!! :eek:

I seem to be slightly confused about this particular motherboard model. I have seen references made to the nForce3 UT Ultra-D and the nForce3 Ultra-D. I have checked DFI's website and there is only the UT mentioned. However, that motherboard has onboard Nvidia S-ATA RAID. The other one that I have seen, the non-UT, has SI3114/8 RAID.

I have contacted the store that I deal with and they only have a SKU for a non-UT.

Is there infact two different types of this board or just the one?

Also, I have an XP120 heatsink on my Neo2 Platinum and I was wondering if the heatsink will interfere with the S-ATA connectors next to the socket on the UT.

Thanks.

Bit of a squeeze but it fits with regard to the XP-120/SATA ports. Helps if the gfx card is not installed. Don't know of any other NF3 Ultra D but this one...

Odd. If you do a search in google images for an nForce3 Ultra-D, you will find different pictures then what is on DFI's site that display the board with Silicon Image RAID. The pictures I figure may be "presentation" or non-RTS (Release to Sale).

Here is one of them: comp04_7.jpg

The actual RTS product:

UT%20nF3%20ULTRA-D.jpg

I'm curious if any of us would be having any of these issues at all if the darn puter wasn't being OC'd Who wants to volunteer to leave his computer at stock clocks for an entire week and report their findings???? Which of you brave souls can actually leave one configuration as is for more than 24 hours???????? Let alone at......gasp.............stock settings!!!!!!!!!! Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! I can't even bear the thought!!!!
yeah I have no doubts it's because it's OCd.....don't know about the weird 'cold boot' BS if you want to call it that, but the CPU going into safe mode definitely is....same thing happened when I set HTT to 310 and multi to 8x

But yeah, I'm disappointed enough only having 2.575GHz muchless running it at stock...screw that :P

Guest bobyjo

I researched the probability of the two nF3 U D motherboards and found the same two photo's. There was a post way back earlier in this thread concerning this probability of the two mobo's.

If you will dig a little deeper, you will find that the one that shows the yellow and orange memory slots beside each other is a socket 754. nF3 250mb.

The one that shows the orange memory slots together then the yellow memory slots together is a socket 939 board. nF3 U-D.

Well i'm here to tell you i had to set mine at stock, i got to frustated when i OC'd it.

At stock i noticed the same problems

Trp setting is wrong (if set to 2 shows 3 if 3 shows 4 etc.etc.)

bios resets to default except date and time (speratic)

no post (would have to turn off power supply for 15 seconds) if not longer

insert key does not work

1t does not work

and as i posted the pic before OldGuy at stock my bios and sandra shows some really strange stuff like

SD4000+ should be 12x200 = 2400 bios and sandra shows 2412

200x5x2 = 2000 sandras shows 2012 ,some times higher

you might ask why am i using x5 because thats what is goes to at default so to get it to boot stable at stock i do this

200x12 =2400 (shows 2412)

200x4x2=1600 sandra shows 1618

At stock i still cannot adjust voltage (vid pass mode) i can only choose +2 to get 1.4v otherwise it shows 1.29v

I had put all the boards back in there boxes for the time being but now i need to get one back out, i sold my DFI Nf3 setups today.

I'm getting a headache already :) lol

So i hope this shines alittle light on the question about running at stock !!!! or overclock

Thanks Scott (keep up the good work my crystal balls says there is a new bios on the way !!!!! rofl :)

Guest bobyjo

For those that were asking for the BH5 memory sticks, this is the reply I received from Mushkin.

BJ,

Windbond, the manufacturer of those great chips, discontinued those exact type. So we no longer carry memory with them in it. We do have memory with Windbond UTT chips that will be compatible.

Thanks... Mike

------------------- Original Message -------------------

Sent: 07/02/2005

Subject: Memory

Do you have any BH5 memory sticks, either 256mb or 512mb?

Thanks

BJ Sexton

244 Wonder Drive

Springtown Texas 76082

I still have a matched pair of 2x256 Black Level II DDR3200 sticks. Still new and only tested one time in an Asus A7N8X-dx setup. I think I gave something like $190.00 for this pair a year or so ago.

That sounds really bad, but I remember having to pay over $400 for a stick of 256mb of PC133, that has been a long time ago.

I researched the probability of the two nF3 U D motherboards and found the same two photo's. There was a post way back earlier in this thread concerning this probability of the two mobo's.

If you will dig a little deeper, you will find that the one that shows the yellow and orange memory slots beside each other is a socket 754. nF3 250mb.

The one that shows the orange memory slots together then the yellow memory slots together is a socket 939 board. nF3 U-D.

However, you notice how there is an FX processor in the first motherboard. The FX was made for Socket 940 at first then AMD transitioned it to 939. The 754's also do not have dual channel memory capability (hence the dual colored RAM slots). They are also located to the right hand side in vertical stance on the UT 250Gb.

Well i'm here to tell you i had to set mine at stock, i got to frustated when i OC'd it.

At stock i noticed the same problems

bios resets to default except date and time (speratic)

no post (would have to turn off power supply for 15 seconds) if not longer

insert key does not work

1t does not work

and as i posted the pic before OldGuy at stock my bios and sandra shows some really strange stuff like

SD4000+ should be 12x200 = 2400 bios and sandra shows 2412

200x5x2 = 2000 sandras shows 2012 ,some times higher

you might ask why am i using x5 because thats what is goes to at default so to get it to boot stable at stock i do this

200x12 =2400 (shows 2412)

200x4x2=1600 sandra shows 1618

At stock i still cannot adjust voltage (vid pass mode) i can only choose +2 to get 1.4v otherwise it shows 1.29v

I had put all the boards back in there boxes for the time being but now i need to get one back out, i sold my DFI Nf3 setups today.

I'm getting a headache already :) lol

So i hope this shines alittle light on the question about running at stock !!!! or overclock

Thanks Scott (keep up the good work my crystal balls says there is a new bios on the way !!!!! rofl :)

Have you had the same issue with regard to not being able to change the voltage on every board you've tried? Oy!!!!!!

I've noticed all the screwy speed settings as well....but get the same kind of screwiness on my LP 754 though not quite soooo far off. 1808 with 200x9. Even memtest mis-reports cpu speed and when using dividers is really off on the memory speed.

The twr setting changing the trp setting is a real nice feature I could do without.. ;)

Haven't had any cold boot type stuff though I do get the safe mode warning and have to go in and out of the bios real quick (without making any changes of course) to boot. That has only occurred when overclocked and usually way overclocked. My computer did actually manage to run mostly stock (aside from some memory voltage changes) for 2 days with bios 627 in it. Never had time to really test it and went back to 602 after a scarey evening with 629...

It's been interesting to say the least but I'm not in your position with building a computer for someone else. All of these little things I can deal with but you on the other hand...Well, let's just say I wouldn't want to be in your shoes after having sold one of these rigs...

You might wanna trade those crystal balls for some steel balls to deal with this little beasty :D

I'm curious if any of us would be having any of these issues at all if the darn puter wasn't being OC'd ;) Who wants to volunteer to leave his computer at stock clocks for an entire week and report their findings???? Which of you brave souls can actually leave one configuration as is for more than 24 hours???????? Let alone at......gasp.............stock settings!!!!!!!!!! Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! I can't even bear the thought!!!! :eek:

I'm not running stock and have been having none of these issues you guys are...

I got my board on 6/16. Spent a few days being timid with the oc'ing, and got it up to 250x11 at 3 4 4 8 2t, 1.55 +.02 (showing 1.67ish) and 2.8 to the mem.I ran it at these settings for 10 days. It was used for folding and gaming, and was perfectly stable the whole time.

Last week I tightend up the ram a bit (2.9v, 2.5 4 3 8 2t), and took it to 260x11 at 1.55 +.04 (1.73ish). Temps are looking good and it's still stable. Folds fine, BF2's fine, and WOW's fine. I rarely shut down, but I haven't had any cold boot problems when I do. Bios has never reset itself. Really the only problems I've had are runnin 1t, and the strange voltage settings.

For the 4th I thought I'd rebuild my 2nd rig around my old msi neo2/winnie. I spent 4 hours trying to get it to boot up before I finally gave up. Ran fine 3 weeks ago, I guess it's jealous of my new dfi baby :D

Anyway, just thought I'd thow a relative sucess story into the mix. I couldn't have gotten it this far without this thread, so, Thanks everyone !!!

Edit: oh yeah, this is all on the orig shipping bios. Haven't dared to flash any betas...