*NEW-DFI NF4-D*.. Mod to SataII and SLI Picture Tutorial

Whats up guys, im pretty much new to building computers, but I have general knowledge on how to do it and what to expect. I will not be OC'ing my system until I understand everything and get everything running rock solid. I hope that I can still set up my system fine even for my first try; many say that you need a great deal of experience setting up these boards. I see that the people on this forum are gracious, understanding, and pacient. I would just like to say that I appreciate everything they are doing and their level of intelligence. I myself will be purchasing a DFI LP Ultra-D soon, seeing as how I dont have the money for SLI now but would like it as an upgrade option for the future. I also dont know how SATA works. But anyhow, Ive been reading this forum and MANY MANY others like it on how to do the mod. If i understand correctly, you must actually take the motherboard out of the case and take off the fan? I wasnt aware that there was a fan on the NF4 chipset. Also, it doest seem like theirs any room to apply pencil between the resistors...but maybe im wrong, it would be much better if i actually had the board in front of me. Just need some clarification thx guys.

Oh, and ill get my sig and specs up soon.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to DFI-Street !

Yes, you'll have to remove the chipsets heatsinkfan to do the mod.. If you check out the other sticky in this forum named "Cleaning your NF4 Chipset fan and replacing with AS5" you will see how to remove it..

Once you decide on what your getting dont forget to make a sig..

If your unsure of what parts to get check out this section..

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

:)

@crzyjackel69

The chipset fan is secured through the motherboard. You will have to get access to the back side of the board to remove the chipset HSF.

If you look at the pics posted at the top of the thread you will see just how small things are on the chipset.

The best advice is to take your time when working on this mod. It isn't hard as evidenced by the results posted.

thx for the fast response guys. yeah so it looks like the mod is pretty easy to do. ill check out the link for removing the heatsink and fan. I also have another question. Do you guys think its better that I buy a saphire X800 GTO2 and flash bios + OC to X850XTPE speeds, or buy the eVGA 6800 GT and OC it to an ultra. The stock cards cost almost the same but ive never flashed a cards bios before and im scared i wont do it right. Do you think you guys could possibly give a detailed explanation on how to flash this bios? i appreciate it.

you guys should probably also know im pretty much a big time gamer, although i dont overclock much. I have heard these boards are AWESOME in terms of almost everything including performance WITHOUT overclocking AND for gaming. If i dont overclock will this still be a good mobo for me?

you guys should probably also know im pretty much a big time gamer, although i dont overclock much. I have heard these boards are AWESOME in terms of almost everything including performance WITHOUT overclocking AND for gaming. If i dont overclock will this still be a good mobo for me?

We can help when it's a general question. We don't need to know what PSU or processor or RAM or whatever your using to help you mod your mobo. We can't offer general advise to a question such as your because it depends a lot on what system you intend to set up etc. Since this is a DFI forum, we will probably say yes the DFI NF4-D is a good board but other then that, there's not much we can say.

Also your question is offtopic since it's in the wrong board (there is a recommendations board) and in the wrong topic/thread (this topic is about modding NF4-D).

Finally the rules specifically state you need a signature. Read the rules because even if you are asking a general question you may get banned and/or ignored if you don't follow them! Just because some of us sometimes respond to people who haven't followed the rules when it wasn't essential doesn't mean we always have to or always will.

wait wait wait...lets see....so your telling me that the question "should i buy this board even if i dont want to overclock" is not a general question? i dont mean to be rude but i already told you my comp isnt built yet. i dont even know what a sig is or signature. i just need some basic advice first