*NEW-DFI NF4-D*.. Mod to SataII and SLI Picture Tutorial

wait wait wait...lets see....so your telling me that the question "should i buy this board even if i dont want to overclock" is not a general question? i dont mean to be rude but i already told you my comp isnt built yet. i dont even know what a sig is or signature. i just need some basic advice first

If your looking for purchase advice then you should be posting in this section..

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

You'll get alot more replies and help in the correct section..

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi

I know I harp on this sig thing alot. But its very important. I want to give you good service, and you want to give good service. You have to give me a little work in the short-run to get a lot of work in the long run I will always answer your questions even if you don't put your specs in your sig. But my answers will seem redundant a lot if I have no clue what is in your machine. It is aggravating to have to exchange up to 5 or more emails just to establish what motherboard model a customer has sometimes!

I don't care if you list it in a colum or separated by // or :: or in a graphic sig...as long as the info is there. Regulars here know that after time, and you learn your rig by heart, you can cut down the sig a little or a lot or such. But at first, or when you have a problem, be as complete as you can!!

here u have the instructions to make a sig and all the rest

click here plz

and dfi is by far the best board i had so far......i have 2 nf4 and 1 nf2

see ya

I appreciate all you peeps trying to help out.. But if he really doesnt have any equipment to list he doesnt have to..

Although if he does have some parts that he might be migrating over to a DFI mobo he SHOULD put them in a sig.. This helps sometimes when someone plans on using an old 300w psu but finds out during the build it wont even boot a DFI mobo..hehe.. With it listed in a sig early someone will pick up on it and give advice to upgrade it..

This really comes down to it being posted in the correct section..

Your question may have appeared a general question but it's not. As I said earlier, all we can say is yes it's a good board even for non overclockers. What else can we say? This is a DFI forum so you should expect that in general, we will say the DFI boards are a good choice, as I pointed out earlier. Without knowing the specific of the system you plan to build, we could not advise. For example, if you wanted to use Hynix RAM or wanted to use a 420W PSU, we would advise you NOT to buy the DFI board. But until you had a sig, we did not know.

Anyway, thank you for finally adding a sig. But as I mentioned in my post and as others have mentioned, this is still the wrong forum and the wrong topic! This is a modifications forum. Is your question a modifications question? No it is not... Is it about modding the the NF4-D? Not even more so since you aren't even considering buying the NF4-D, you want to buy the NF4 Ultra-D! BTW, there is a topic about modding the NF4 Ultra-D but please don't post there unless you are asking a modding question.

I'm a but confused as to why you want to mod your Ultra-D to SLI anyway. Your going to use a Sapphire X800, there seems no point other then for boasting rights. So unless you're quite confident that your not going to screw up, I would not recommend it. Given that you don't seem to be able to follow a few simple recommendations (like post in the right forum, add a sig) without us asking you multiple times, I'm sceptical you will be able to mod without problem. I don't want to be rude but when doing something like modding, you need to at least be able to follow simple instructions and recommendations! Unless you really know what you are doing, you can't just wing it and hope you're doing the right thing.

This is the last post I will make in response to you here. If you want to continue to ask off-topic questions, thats your business but don't expect help from me and I expect from many others.

I think this is my first post on the forums - I just followed this guide (and just an FYI, the picture at techpowerup is much clearer for someone who is colorblind.)

It worked! BIOS showing "SLI" string instead of "Ultra" at POST. Unfortunately I do not have dual video cards to test with, nor do I have a SATAII drive to test that either.

Few suggestions:

1. Use the "Circuit Writer" (~$12) available at RadioShack. It's basically a metalic pen. Look in the solder iron area. Makes things a lot easier than busting out some solder, or using a window defroster kit with a brush, just make sure to practice first - I used a sound card killed by a water cooling accident.

The pen will GUSH conductive ink all over the place, so what I did was take a clean bottle cap, and press down until the ink spills out a bit, then just use the tip of the pen (without using too much pressure!) to apply it to the actual chipset.

2. The chipset is sooooo tiny - very easy to make a mistake. If you don't have steady hands, or you haven't got experience doing something like this, find someone who does.

3. Longer fingernails help to get the pushpins out, infact, I used pliers and found them near useless - just used my nails instead.

4. While you are at it, add some Artic Silver 5 to the chipset.

5. The reports of epoxy on the top of the points to connect turned out to be not true in my case.

Good luck everyone.

So what do I call this board now? nF4-D SLI? lol.

I have the NF4 D and I have done everything to the two leads and It wont boot up to SLI for anything, I havent tried to boot windows and look but the boot screen says nForce4 Standard and It wont do anything else. I first tried the pencil and ground the mess out of it attempting to get it to werk, Its now down to the copper and I tried the silver pen and nothing. So Either Im doing something wrong or they have done somehting to stop the mod. It was purchaced this month about a week ago from the egg and If it wont work soon im gonna RMA that beast and get a MSI SLI cause now I have to 6800GTs and no mobo, I kinda screwd up getting this one in the first place. the egg pics showed it came with the sli connector and everything but thats my fault for not checking.

Any Ideas? New revision? bad connectors? Im gettin ready to quit :confused: