*NEW-DFI NF4-D*.. Mod to SataII and SLI Picture Tutorial

I just recieved this board the other day from Newegg..

I heard these chips are supposed to have epoxy over the contacts making this harder. I figured my board would definitely have it. So I pulled the chipset heatsink off and..well are these supposed to be really obvious epoxy applications? I don’t notice anything over any of the traces.

Also is any #2 pencil supposed to work or should I be using the Faber brand? Should I use the circuit pen from Rad Shack instead?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just recieved this board the other day from Newegg..

I heard these chips are supposed to have epoxy over the contacts making this harder. I figured my board would definitely have it. So I pulled the chipset heatsink off and..well are these supposed to be really obvious epoxy applications? I don’t notice anything over any of the traces.

Also is any #2 pencil supposed to work or should I be using the Faber brand? Should I use the circuit pen from Rad Shack instead?

It's smaller than it looks in the picture, but you should see a small black dome, with a satin finish to it. This is the epoxy you need to get through.

• 2 weeks later...

That rocks i saw this post and gave it a try with a radio shack Conductive Ink pen. It gave me a chance to get some good thermal paste on the chipset anyhow. My BIOS still says "DFI-D Standard" When i boot up but windows and the nvidia control panel say its all good and i get 30+ fps or more in most games when running SLI. First time it booted in SLI it was after windows load screen it whent black... so i rebooted and windows started fine and the nVidia control panel said SLI was working etc. Im running 460watt with dual 12v rails each 18A

for a total of 36A on the 12v. Everything is stable 3Dmark06 and SUPER_PI tested.

FYI i got my SLI bridge on ebay its a Tyan M5000 i think most sli bridges that are 4cm between the PCI-E slots will work

Thanks for the tip.