*NEW-DFI NF4-D*.. Mod to SataII and SLI Picture Tutorial

Hey Thunda great stuff...

I was plannin on ordering the sli-dr board in the next couple of days and had planned on following angry's guide for installing AS5 on the chipset. After reading this I might as well save 40 bucks and get the nf4 Ultra D instead and do this mod. This modded board will support dual core with a bios flash right?

I don't plan on using sli right now or anytime in the near future but like the option for the future. I was gonna apply the AS5 on the chipset regardless, should I knock it all at once, or wait to do the sli mod for when I want it? I only wanna apply the AS5 once. Does the heatsink (with new AS5) have to be back on the chipset to check if sli is enabled on boot? The last question is of most importance I guess. Thanks

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this will solve ur issue bit you can find many video card bios'es here

http://mvktech.net/

It isnt reccomended to flash your video bios, even though I did and didnt have any problems.

I modded my old nf4-ultra board too, and I did it in these steps

Uninstall video drivers

power down CPU

take out mobo

Did mod w/ conductive paint(pencil trick doesnt work so good)

set jumpers

put mobo back in(and both video cards)and hook everything back up

(while u have your mobo out, its not a bad idea to take ur chipset fan off and put AS/5 on the chipset)

flashed bios to latest 6/23 bios (load optimized defaults)

And thats it. My bios'es on my cards were the same tho. I only flashed them because I saw a newer bios out for them and hoped it would help with a higher overclock in SLI, which it didnt.

This modded board will support dual core with a bios flash right?
Sure they all use the same bios..

I was gonna apply the AS5 on the chipset regardless, should I knock it all at once, or wait to do the sli mod for when I want it?
Thats up to you.. If you had the board running for a bit and know its stable and good..why not..

Does the heatsink (with new AS5) have to be back on the chipset to check if sli is enabled on boot?
YES !! Because you need to power up and verify that it says Nforce SLI on the post screen..

It isnt reccomended to flash your video bios, even though I did and didnt have any problems..
Yea its not recommended.. For safety its good to have a PCI video card if the flash goes bad..

It should work. If it doesnt, check to see what revision you have. There is a sticker on the side of the last YELLOW PCI slot at the very end of the mobo(opposite end of the memory side), not sure where I read but I read somewhere that the earlier versions of the UT were able to be modded and the later ones were not. Maybe someone can confirm this. The board I modded was a revision 01 or A or something like that. It was an early one anyway.

It should work. If it doesnt, check to see what revision you have. There is a sticker on the side of the last YELLOW PCI slot at the very end of the mobo(opposite end of the memory side), not sure where I read but I read somewhere that the earlier versions of the UT were able to be modded and the later ones were not. Maybe someone can confirm this. The board I modded was a revision 01 or A or something like that. It was an early one anyway.

The mobo revision does NOT make a difference.. The ONLY thing that some people have came across on the newer boards is that the bridges have some epoxy on them.. All you need to do is take some extra time to scrape away the epoxy and then it mods just like any other one..

The mobo revision will not tell you that the board will have epoxy on the contacts. The epoxy is just random.. But it does NOT prevent the mod..

The epoxy on mine appeared to be more like a thin layer of paint... I scraped down to the contacts, they were actually partially exposed already. I hope I didn't go too deep, I see copper colorations. I think someone said they feared the smae and it still worked, I'm gonna bridge the pins tomorrow with a circuit pen, won't get my ram til Tuesday though. I had no idea this thang was soo tiny

Looks like you got one of the original batch of chipsets before the "epoxy" run. Sure makes it easier.

The epoxy on mine appeared to be more like a thin layer of paint... I scraped down to the contacts, they were actually partially exposed already. I hope I didn't go too deep, I see copper colorations. I think someone said they feared the smae and it still worked, I'm gonna bridge the pins tomorrow with a circuit pen, won't get my ram til Tuesday though. I had no idea this thang was soo tiny

hey newegg says this board is sata2.....

[edit] oh wait nevermind.. i was thinkin of the lanparty ut ultra.. theres 2 stickies for mod to sli and i got confused lol

I deleted your other post.. ;)

Newegg has it listed wrong then.. The NF4-D does NOT have sata2 enabled unless you do the mod.. Maybe they know the mod is so easy and just started listing that it supports it..hehe