DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

Dave, could u have a look at this review, if i get it right they are saying that it CAN support an SLI system, and note that i'm not asking u this so that i could come bak later and point the finger at u m8. :P

And no, i'm not an over clocker at all, i like to have really gud hardware but dont really fancy pushing it as far as it will go, i did some overclocking already but its kindda like just to benchmark my system and then i'll put it bak to its defaults :angel:

cheers dave

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the first review of the Hiper that I have seen where they really loaded up the system with hardware. And it's good to see as my rig is loaded too, and I'm getting about the same voltage :D I just installed my Hiper yesterday on my new mobo, and so far I'm quite pleased with it. Its so damn pretty (yes, this psu is pretty) and it's absolutely silent!!! You have to put your ear right on the psu to even hear the faint "whirr" and even then, it' very hard to hear.

The only bad thing I can say about this psu is that the atx cable is pretty short, it's only 12" long. (I'd run screaming from a woman who said 12" is short though :eek2: )

Thats the first review of the Hiper that I have seen where they really loaded up the system with hardware. And it's good to see as my rig is loaded too, and I'm getting about the same voltage :D I just installed my Hiper yesterday on my new mobo, and so far I'm quite pleased with it. Its so damn pretty (yes, this psu is pretty) and it's absolutely silent!!! You have to put your ear right on the psu to even hear the faint "whirr" and even then, it' very hard to hear.

The only bad thing I can say about this psu is that the atx cable is pretty short, it's only 12" long. (I'd run screaming from a woman who said 12" is short though :eek2: )

yea i still havent bought mine tho where i ususaly but my stuff its out of stock :rolleyes:

however u said something interesting the atx cable is short mhhh maybe i'm gonna have to re-think this as i have a CM staker and they are BIG gonna have to besure to see if it will be ok with that lenght or not.

uhh yea and a question too what version of the Hiper have u got?? if its the blue one are the cables/psu UV reactive or is it just the molex/sata connectors??

are you runing your system on SLI??

any details are v much apreciated, ty. ;)

I have the blue sli version. The Psu itself isn't UV, and I dont think the blue sleeving is either. The plugs are though from what I read (I dont have any uv cathodes, just blue ones). I'm running 2x6600gt sli, 2 (of 3) hd's, 1 (of 2) dvd drives, 2 120mm led fans, and 2 ccfls. Volts at load are: 12V = 12.09, 5V = 5.13, 3.3V = 3.32.

So far after 2 days, I'm very happy with this psu. Solid rails and even at full load this thing is absolutely silent.

Ok, I'm going to jump on the "I have this this and this, will this PSU work for me" bandwagon only because I don't want to purchase the wrong one. :D

Anyway....

COMPLETE SYSTEM SPECS (Soon to be)

• Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
  • DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D
  • 2x512 Kingston Hyper X PC3200 6-2-2-2 2.6v
  • PCI-E Leadtek 6800GT
  • Plextor DVD Burner 16XDVD+/-R
  • Plextor CD-RW 48x24x48
  • Thermalright XP-120
  • YS-Tech 120mm 5.52 watt CPU fan
  • 3 92mm blue LED case fans, 2 80mm case fans
  • 2 Cold Cathode UV lights
  • 74GB WD Raptor HDD
  • 160GB Maxtor HDD
  • Vantec Nexus Fan Controller with 18 watt channels, CPU fan and 92mm fan hooked up

That's the list, now the infamous question:

Will the OCZ 520W ModStream provide enough power to this system?

Thanks for all the information, the sticky, everything, is was most useful.

Edit---

A little more info, I have an Antec 480W Truepower right now. This system I just showed you is an upgrade to the current system I have right now. The only thing I'm upgrading that's new is the CPU, Motherboard, Heatsink, Heatsink fan, and the PSU. I have all the lights and everything hooked up now, I'm just curious if I should get the OCZ520 PSU as I have my finger hovering over the "add to cart" button :D

Will the OCZ 520W ModStream provide enough power to this system?

it is good enough for single gpu....but I seriously recommend getting the Powerstream...it may not be modular and have pretty wrapped cables (you can do that yourself), but it does have ultimate control of voltages with adjustable rails...and you never know when such a thing might come in handy, plus it is a little beefier than a Modstream.

I couldn't afford the Powerstream, it was out of my price range.

I calculated my total computer wattage today using one of the popular calculator and it came out to like 440W at 100% peak power with the CPU overclocked to 2759Mhz @ 1.55vcore.

I purchased the OCZ ModStream, this is 520W so I'm sure it'll be plenty (evan though it might not be the full 520W's).

Is the Modstream really 520watts?